PDA

View Full Version : Tubes

mommyzoo
07-20-2012, 12:19 PM
My serian Blankie has decided the best place to sleep in entire habitat is the tubes where they make a T. He sleeps in there, and wakes up in the day and chews on it and he has put bedding in there so I worry about him.

He has a 65 gallon tank and a little hamster cage (this one Carefresh 2-Level Hamster Kit Rodent Products - GregRobert Pet Supplies (http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-45440)) connected with tubes. I need to buy more tubes to make it more bendy but he has been fine so far.

For places to sleep he has a strawberry with bedding and a plastic critter home like they have in petco displays. He also has an oatmeal container. But every day he chooses this and chews on the plastic. It drives me crazy I am about to take away the smaller habitat and make him deal without the tubes. But I would feel like I am taking something he likes away.

For chew toys I give him apple sticks and the chew things they have at the petstores.

Is it ok that he does this or do I need to stop it some how?

mommyzoo
07-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Oh I should add he has a bigger wheel and I took the one in the smaller cage out.

StarlightSerenity
07-20-2012, 12:23 PM
By the sounds of it the little hamster cage needs to go. My Syrian slept in the tubes of her cage, then started peeing, pooing and storing her food in there too. She basically lived in there :rolleyes: I had to take them out because they stank, she stank, even after only a couple of hours after they were cleaned.

If he pees or poos in there and refuses to sleep somewhere else then yeah, I'd get remove it in all honesty. Luna spent the first couple of days looking for the tubes but it was better for her in the long run.

mommyzoo
07-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Ok. He is really clean most of the time. But his rear end hairs have been sticking up lately and I am pretty sure he poops and pees in there but he does come out at night and run the tank. He will go to the smaller tank for water and food but thats about it.

I will probably do that tonight and let Teddy bear have the little cage. Right now he has two small cages and a burrow thing. I am still trying to talk my husband into getting him a bigger cage like Blankies, but so far it is a no go. But I can add the Blankies small cage and give him some more room.

Teddy Bear knows when I come feed him to go to the door and he can get in the hamster ball for about and hour or so. He loves his time out where it takes me forever to get blankie out. As long as they are in the balls they have free rain of the whole downstairs.

My husband let our cat out last night during thier free run time in the balls and I had to keep reminding her she couldnt chase them. Luckly me telling her no when she follows them works well. She is a pretty trained cat, though most people would say thats not possible. But she cant be left alone with them, she would eat them and I couldnt even be mad at her because it would be my fault. She is suppose to be upstairs for thier time in the ball. No since in having her be teased, but my hubby forgot.

RockinHammies
07-20-2012, 01:11 PM
We found the tubes got really stinky now. Now that we don't have any tubes it's much better :) We give them toilet paper rolls sliced up the middle so their 'chubby buts' can fit through lol ... they don't seem to miss the tubes ..

mommyzoo
07-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Ok I will try that. He has some paper towel rolls but I dont think he fits. I also gave him a box. But he was in the stinky tubes. I just finished moving things around because I have a headache and he had been at those tubes for almost an hour. If it was giving me a headache you would think it would him too. I used the oatmeal box to hold the water bottle but how does everyone else put a water bottle in an aquarium. I dont think the oatmeal box is a final solution.

Kissa
07-20-2012, 01:28 PM
I'd honestly get rid of the little cage, especially if he also has a 65 gallon tank :) It's better for his health in the long run.

Plastic houses to sleep in might end up getting smelly like the tubes if he pees in them, so something to watch out for ;)

RockinHammies
07-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Our water bottle holder in our tank is a little 'red neck' lol, but it works great .. we have a water bottle (cut so it's just the top 1/3) - turn it upside down and our hamster water bottle fits inside with the spout out of the neck of the bottle, we then have it hooked (looks like a pail handle) and clipped over the side of the tank. We've never had a problem it works great :)

mommyzoo
07-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks I will see if I can figure that out. For now I think I am going to put rocks in the bottom of the oatmeal container so he cant tip it. Then I will have to hunt for materials to do something like that.

RockinHammies
07-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Should add in our bin cage we have a metal water bottle holder that you bend to fit over at the length you need and the water bottle easily sits in there. we got it at superpet about $5 or so ?? When we go back we are getting another one for the tank. It wouldn't reach to the bottom section of our tank; however we have a platform and have the food and water bottle area up higher on that.

mommyzoo
07-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks I will definetly see if I can find one tomorrow at the petstore. We have to get dog food and cat food and crickets so I will look for a water bottle stand and I have a to get a new chew toy for blankie also. Maybe I can find a second level too.