PDA

View Full Version : what do you do with the money from homing pups

Matty Day
04-06-2008, 04:03 PM
i thought I would ask people this one as it interests me.
When you’ve rehome a baby with someone responsible what do you use the money for?

my own plan was to plough it back into the hamstery towards either next litter ( cages etc) or replenishing the vet fund if its running low or treating every hamster I own to a wheel or something :x

nooboo
04-06-2008, 04:06 PM
mine usually goes straight back to general hamster care, if i have got a good amount then some extra on updating bits like chewed wheels, or a bit to vet fund, but when i was breeding a little more i really had it so that the money for litters kept everyone in nice cages with good food and bedding, and was able to save up my money i would usually spend on that, giving me a better cushion should anything happen.

Bunsey
04-06-2008, 04:33 PM
well, i used it for the petrol money that it cost me to deliver the hams :lol: I met someone on Knutsford services to deliver robos. What they paid me for the robos didn't even cover the petrol!

i guess it replenishes a tiny fraction of the cost of raising the litter.

Tammy22
04-07-2008, 01:16 AM
Hi Matty,

any money i get from sales goes directly towards hamster food, toys, bedding, shavings etc.

It is sometimes spent on food for my rabbits too and other things for them.

I always try to save a percentage of the money from each sale to put into my special 'Jar' which stays there incase of vet emergencies!!

I usually need for money for petrol to get to the shows too, and also when i get new hamsters, to go and pick them up!

Most of the time it comes no where near close to covering the cost of just the monthly hamster supplies, so i always end up spending alot more than what i get, lol!

I think this is a great topic, Matty, and it would be brilliant show people who think they can make money from breeding hamsters!!

Or any other pet for that matter! I think that if you buy a good quality food and good quality supplies and plenty of toys etc. for your pets, it shows that you care about them, and there is also no way to make money from breeding them!!

Tammy x

Basia
04-07-2008, 01:45 AM
I was about to say 'what money?' but Tammy sort of already has.
Having bred many animals over the years I have always found it costs far more to raise the litters than you ever get back in money for the babies so it is already spent really.

Bourne Valley Hams
04-07-2008, 02:06 AM
My reaction was also to say 'what money?'!
I have virtually a litter a week and the hamsters certainly don't pay their own way. Anyone who thinks they can make money from breeding hamsters is deluding themselves!

Matty Day
04-07-2008, 02:19 AM
I know you don’t make profit . I mean the money itself :x

you must think I am scrooge or something . normally with my I do care about making money when i go to carboot sales i am always after antiques at a cheap price to go on ebay. but. when it comes to hamsters I simply don’t give a monkeys. I am happy as long as there all a good size and get good homes :x

Though I do admit I do try and cut costs by giving them smart price rice pudding
:P

Bunsey
04-07-2008, 02:24 AM
yeah, the most important thing is a good home, not the money. For me, money was a way of seeing that they were serious. Also the fact that some of them would travel and put themselves out to get hams that weren't from pets at home impressed me, too.

Holly
04-07-2008, 03:03 AM
I'd be reluctant to let a hamster go for nothing - it would worry me if someone couldn't afford/didn't want to pay a fiver to buy a new pet - I'd assume, rightly or wrongly, that they wouldn't be able/want to buy them a decent cage, good food, toys or vet care if needed :?

I didn't make anything off Caramel's litter - we kept five, one went to the Dad's family (souffle), two were "traded" for babies from their litters and the money from the other three (fifteen quid) didn't even start to pay for the food, bedding, cages etc I'd bought for the litter!

souffle
04-07-2008, 03:32 AM
We never make any money either! We don't want to, its just the homes for the babies that are important. We give them free to friends of course and any that bring in a few pounds goes towards the upkeep. Sometimes we give it to charity or make a donation to Hamstercentral to help with the running costs of the forum for snuggleham and smoo. Thats a thought guys. One pup sale for HC really helps with the hosting costs which have to be paid every year :lol: :lol:

Matty Day
04-07-2008, 03:42 AM
well im going to say this now if there 8 in my current litter hc can have a fiver :x