PDA

View Full Version : Cage Switching

RockinHammies
07-15-2012, 08:00 AM
If it wan't for this forum I would know next nothing about the size of cage hamsters need. Thanks for getting the word out!! I was reading on the petsmart site that syrian hamsters need a minimum of a 12 inch x 12 inch cage. I wish pet stores would convey the right message!

We started out with each of our children's hamster in a habitrail cage with lots of tubes and 3 huts attached. As we stated in a previous post my son's hamster was not happy - started to chew bars etc a bit (just starting, but still chewing). We moved her into a 20 gallon tank and she LOVES it. Today we are picking up a 35 gallon tank for her and that will be her final home :) We were going to move her to a bin cage; however she's a determined little one and I don't trust her to not escape ;)

My daughters hamster appeared happy in her habitrail cage never chewing bars etc. However we have moved her into a huge bin cage and she seems much more happy and because she's a shy hamster, it's much easier to take her out for play time with out the tubes. She will stay in the bin cage (she's not a chewer).

Thanks again for the information or our poor little hamsters would have been in the habitrail for life! Like I said I really wish pet stores would convey the right information!!

Whitehologram
07-15-2012, 09:44 AM
OMGoodness...I wouldn't have thought it true but wow, it's there to read. (http://promotions.petsmart.com/landing/small-pet/habitat-set-up.shtml) They really do recommend that!

Kissa
07-15-2012, 09:59 AM
OMGoodness...I wouldn't have thought it true but wow, it's there to read. (http://promotions.petsmart.com/landing/small-pet/habitat-set-up.shtml) They really do recommend that!

I'm also worried about their guinea pig recommendations! 24" by 12" is smaller than a ZZ1... In fact, it's smaller than a Cambridge!

redd1800
07-15-2012, 01:07 PM
12 by 12 inches sounds like a hamster tomb!

RockinHammies
07-15-2012, 01:09 PM
I know it breaks my heart that people trying to do their best for their hammies take that advise and not realize.

Lynternette
07-16-2012, 02:43 AM
I don't think much of their bar spacings for tiny hamster either.