PDA

View Full Version : Moving Spike into his new Hamster Heaven....few questions

lilimisslisa
07-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Hi everyone I haven't been on here for ages as unfortunately I have been poorly and in hospital...anyway I am on the mend now so my attention is back to my little man Spike :-) Before I got ill I ordered Spike a new hamster heaven for the bargain price of £50 but was taken into hospital before I got a chance to put it together so Spike hasn't moved yet!
Anyway my questions really are how do I minimise the stress on him moving to his new cage? even though his current cage is smaller than the hh he seems really happy in it and is always keen to go back in after playtime....sometimes too keen! What can I do to make sure he's just as happy in his new cage? He's been in his current cage for most of his life after spending the first 2 weeks in an unsuitable cage that was missold to me!
Thanks for any tips and advice :-) x

Whitehologram
07-11-2012, 12:42 AM
use the subscrate and bedding from the old cage :)

...sorry. one handed typing here.

Lougarry
07-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Sorry to hear you have been ill - hope you are fully recovered now.

I would suggest transferring as much of Spike's current substrate and bedding (including a few poos!) into the new cage so it smells familiar and comfortable, plus lots of fresh bedding that he can drag around to make a new nest where he chooses. Also, transfer all his existing toys without cleaning them first. One person on here put the entire existing cage base inside the new one so the hamster could retreat to it if nervous.

I'd also consider leaving him in there for a day or so without outside play time so he can really settle in, but you might prefer not to if he is less tame after being separated from you for a while.

Good luck - I'm sure he'll love it. All my Syrians have switched cages at least once with no problems :)

Whitehologram
07-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Sorry to hear you have been ill - hope you are fully recovered now.

I would suggest transferring as much of Spike's current substrate and bedding (including a few poos!) into the new cage so it smells familiar and comfortable, plus lots of fresh bedding that he can drag around to make a new nest where he chooses. Also, transfer all his existing toys without cleaning them first. One person on here put the entire existing cage base inside the new one so the hamster could retreat to it if nervous.

I'd also consider leaving him in there for a day or so without outside play time so he can really settle in, but you might prefer not to if he is less tame after being separated from you for a while.

Good luck - I'm sure he'll love it. All my Syrians have switched cages at least once with no problems :)

http://img.diaperswappers.com/images/smilie/yeahthat.gif

lilimisslisa
07-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Thank you both I was thinking along those lines and I will leave him to settle in for a day or so as I know that he will be keen to sort out his new home!

Lynternette
07-11-2012, 02:31 AM
I hope you are well now. xxx