PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make Bag charms/keyrings?

racinghamster
07-08-2012, 05:58 AM
I was just curious whether anyone made those beaded bag charms with various beads and a charm? I watched a few YouTube videos yesterday and the single ones look quite easy to make. I bought a small zip charm off ebay for my bag that has a small silver tone horse and a blue bead added and a lobster clip to attach it to my bag zip and it looks lovely. I thought about having a go myself but havn`t decided yet. I have a few bits and pieces in the house like old chains and a few clips, but I would need to buy some beads and a few charms to hang on the chain. Might have a go at making a few as Christmas stocking fillers. :)

Show me your bag charm creations and how easy it actually is to make them, or do you need to buy special pliers and tools? I`m not that into actual jewellery making, but I do like these little personalised bag/zip charms.

I recently bought some Fimo modelling clay and have made a pink pig and a small cupcake so far! But I`m not to sure how they would stand up to the rigours of daily bashing about if hung from a bag? Even though I bake them for a good 25 minutes, I`m still not sure they would be all that tough if hung from a keychain or a charm.

StarlightSerenity
07-08-2012, 09:07 AM
I have made some before, no pics of them though, sorry!

I've used beads, metal charms, ribbon, lace - all sorts. The only tools I have are pliers (flat and round nose) and wire cutters. Plus scissors for the ribbon and lace and I used my hob for melting the edges of the ribbon.

You could always make up a 'test' charm and use it for a few days and see how it goes.

sakuraheart
07-08-2012, 09:15 AM
I made a couple but...I'm not sure they are any good....I'm so used to bracelets and felties.x
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh185/sakuraholmes/DSC_1131-1.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh185/sakuraholmes/DSC_1130-1.jpg

racinghamster
07-09-2012, 04:22 AM
Thanks guys for replying. sakuraheart, those are lovely and simple. Just the kind of thing I was thinking of puting together. Nothing too `blingy` just something that could be attached as a zip pull or to hang from a spare bag ring. :) Did you just source your beads and findings from ebay or use what you had lying around? I`ve managed to finda few bits and bobs around the house but don`t have any charms yet. ebay is full of craft making materials but even though they are cheap to buy in bulk, I don`t need 50 or 100 lobster clasps or 20 charms! :mad:

I guess I will just play around with what I have and buy a few extras in if I want to put a few small stocking fillers together.

sakura, what do you call the long metal pins with the little bit on the end that holds the beads? Are they special findings or something?

StarlightSerenity
07-09-2012, 05:10 AM
Those are headpins RH :) Here's some 25mm Headpin - Silver Plated - 25mm Headpins/Eyepins from The Bead Shop UK (http://www.the-beadshop.co.uk/jewellery-findings-c7/headpinseyepins-c10/25mm-headpinseyepins-c142/25mm-headpin-silver-plated-p783)

I use eBay and a few online shops. I've used this place a few times, (http://www.the-beadshop.co.uk/)both online and actually in their shop (it's heaven, if you ever go to Manchester, you must go there!). I tend to buy large amounts, mostly because it's cheap (100 headpins for £2 quid, bargin!) and it's always nice to have the materials there to make things whenever I want.

racinghamster
07-09-2012, 05:28 AM
Great Starlight, many thanks. I never knew they were called `head pins` so I`ve learned something new! :) Will check out the links. x

StarlightSerenity
07-09-2012, 05:30 AM
When I first started making jewellery I got exceptionally confused by all the different findings - still don't know what half the ones you can get do!

sakuraheart
07-09-2012, 05:42 AM
Thanks guys for replying. sakuraheart, those are lovely and simple. Just the kind of thing I was thinking of puting together. Nothing too `blingy` just something that could be attached as a zip pull or to hang from a spare bag ring. :) Did you just source your beads and findings from ebay or use what you had lying around? I`ve managed to finda few bits and bobs around the house but don`t have any charms yet. ebay is full of craft making materials but even though they are cheap to buy in bulk, I don`t need 50 or 100 lobster clasps or 20 charms! :mad:

I guess I will just play around with what I have and buy a few extras in if I want to put a few small stocking fillers together.

sakura, what do you call the long metal pins with the little bit on the end that holds the beads? Are they special findings or something?

Aww thanks hun...I like simple designs alot. I have market stall near me that supplies jewellery making stock...so I get alot from there or ebay. And Charity shops are good for finding random things! And felt charms I make myself.xx

Starlight: next time I go to manchester I'm looking that place up....I'm only 40mins away from Manchester.xx

StarlightSerenity
07-09-2012, 05:46 AM
Ps - Sakuraheart, your bag charms are lovely :D You should go! It really is amazing, bit of a nightmare to find but once you get there you won't be leaving for a good few hours lol

sakuraheart
07-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Ps - Sakuraheart, your bag charms are lovely :D You should go! It really is amazing, bit of a nightmare to find but once you get there you won't be leaving for a good few hours lol

Sound like my kinda place ;)

racinghamster
07-09-2012, 06:46 AM
I love charity shops so will be looking for some old beaded necklaces and bits & bobs that I can turn into keyrings or bag charms! :)

TraceyH
07-09-2012, 01:56 PM
I don't make jewellery but have a couple of old bracelets and necklace you can have if you want them. They've been stuck in a box for the past 10-15 years waiting to go to a charity shop.

racinghamster
07-10-2012, 01:21 AM
Tracey they are lovely. :) I would be happy to pay postage if you don`t mind posting them to me? Would some 1st class stamps be okay as payment? I could break those up and use the beads and the links.

TraceyH
07-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Yes, the stamps would be fine. You'll have to tell me where to send them and I'll post them off as soon as poss.

suga
07-10-2012, 07:05 AM
Can you discuss any exchanges via private message please.

Good luck with the charm making RacingHamster

TraceyH
07-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Oops sorry, me and my big mouth.

racinghamster
07-10-2012, 08:58 AM
No problems. I`ve decided just to leave it Tracey as I`m not sure yet what kind of charms I actually want to make. I may end up just picking up a cheap necklace locally and using just the one type of bead. Thankyou for the offer though, it was very kind. x