PDA

View Full Version : Next Pet after Hamsters?

Puchiko
07-03-2012, 05:39 AM
So I've gone from having fish to having Hamsters now and am looking at something larger for my next pet. I've read Guinea pigs make great pets and size wise they seem one step up from my syrian hamsters. I would really like a pet that is more socialable than my hamsters who merely tolerate me. I love my hammys and don't plan on getting rid of them to be clear, but want something that more than a one way relationship.

I was curious how much more care/attention do they need compared to a hamster? I know that you should get two of them so they don't get lonely which would be a nice change from solitary hamsters. Cleaning after my hamsters is pretty much a breeze since they all wee in their sand box so I only have to change their bedding once a month. But after seeing how much poo and pee was all over the cages in some of the pet stores and accounts of how stinky they can be from other owners I'm not sure if thats something I want to deal with.

Cost really isn't an issue, just the amount of cleaning involved I spose. I've never had a dog/cat (am am not allowed to have one either) so I can't really relate to the amount of care those require.

Or is their something better than a Guinea pig that is just a socialable and possibly lower maintenance? I defintely do not want a ferret/chinchilla/degu/sugar glider though. Rabbits look so cute but can be pretty fiesty it seems.

Silver
07-03-2012, 05:58 AM
Have you considered Gerbil's?

I know they are not bigger than a Syrian but need to be kept in groups or pairs. I'm afraid my knowledge of them ends there!

Silver xxx

vanilla-yazoo
07-03-2012, 06:13 AM
silvers suggestion of gerbils is quite a good one
they live longer more like 4-6 years then the hamsters 2-3, they do best in pairs, are very active and enjoy digging, but are not nippy and can be handled.

rats also make great pets, but they have to be kept very clean as they often get infections from shavings and beddings, they must be in a pair or more, but are a rewarding pet. not had them myself but intrested.

guinea pigs i dislike because of the noise and fragility, but they are a nice pet, those who know more can help.

I have a pair of mini lop rabbits who have me completely tied around their lil paws, friendly and cuddly, they do need space tho.

have you heard of pigmy hedgehogs? they are often kept in zz2 style cages with wheels, they are quite fun little characters, i belive its 3-5 years expectancy, they can be costly but are a very different pet.

I have also looked into chinchillas and sugar gliders, chinchillas seem niece pets, but the sugar gliders are so fragile a lot of prior knowledge is needed.

I have kept hamsters for nearly 2 decades, and wont ever be without one, you dont need to upgrade if its a pet you love and enjoy.

I will be getting dogs in a few years time, when we are in the new house, and everyone is settled, I will still have the hams, but a lower number.

fluffymunchkins
07-03-2012, 06:16 AM
Gerbils are lovely, but are not cuddley pets in the slightest! They love to watch you and will use you as a climbing frame, but they prefer not to be handled :)

Guinea pigs I've found similar, they love to interact with you (take treats, have strokes etc.) but hate being picked up and instinctively run away. Though I have had pigs that will sit on your lap quite happily, so it could depend on the pig. They do poo a lot :mad: The pig I holiday sit requires daily spot cleaning to stop her hutch from getting too dirty.

What I will reccomend is rats :) Not everyone is a fan, but after going to a show and handling friends rats I was smitten! I haven't owned them myself yet, but I'm sure other owners will tell you about how they love to play and ride on your shoulder.

What species of hamster have you owned? I feel some species suit certain people more than others x

Silver
07-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Going the completely different direction have you thought about mice?

Just that they are up & about in the day, live happily in groups or pairs except males that need to be kept alone.

Silver xxx

purple_x
07-03-2012, 06:33 AM
My mice are never awake in the daytime!
Males can live in pairs (you just have to keep a closer eye on them in case they fight) or you can get them neutered and put them with some females :)
Mice are lovely little pets but I wouldn't say they were cuddly or anything, mine all prefer to climb all over me and dash about playing, no mousey cuddles for me :(!!

I know people who have rats though and they say that they fall asleep on them which is sweet so I want rats at some point.

Kissa
07-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Out of curiosity, why have you discounted ferrets/chinchillas/degus?

mangoandmimi
07-03-2012, 07:18 AM
I'd also recommend gerbils
Cuddly.. absolutely not, if you want a cuddle monster you're best sticking to guinea pigs or male syrians :mad: My pigs do not tolerate being picked up, but once they're in your lap they're no trouble and just sit there quite happily. They just don't like being moved haha.
If you hadn't discounted degus i would have recommended rats also, my friend has them and oh god i love them to pieces.

Ren
07-03-2012, 07:41 AM
I'll be getting mice or rats next if I don't just continue with hamsters. I don't want guinea pigs because they're extremely dirty and you basically have to clean up after them every single day. They also live a very long time and I just don't know where I'll be in 5-10 years. Rats are absolutely lovely and social and adorable and intelligent. It is extremely sad that they don't live a bit longer but I plan to have a colony of boys or girls sometime in the near future. Mice take less effort and energy so I might get those while I'm in Uni instead of rats-- who knows! They're just as adorable and sweet and less needy than rats.

Puchiko
07-03-2012, 08:01 AM
I've had Syrian (male and female) hamsters, Robos (Female) and for a very short time a couple of White Winter Dwarfs. I currently only have the Syrians.

I don't really like gerbils as the big front teeth and long tail creep me out (which is why I ruled out Degus because they look like really big gerbils). And hearing they aren't cuddly doesn't help either. I've seen mice and rats in petstores and they just don't do anything for me. I guess I still associate them as pests more than pets because I grew up in a house infested with mice in the walls. Ferrets/Chinchillas run about $150 so that is a way bit out of my price range and they really don't interest me either.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will probably take a closer look at the gerbils my hamster breeder has the next time I visit him. My petstore options are limited to Petco/Petsmart and a local mom and pop petstore that should be shut down for inhumane conditions.

mommyzoo
07-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Guinea pig care is simalar to hamsters on a larger scale. If you do get one or two do not put them in a ball. Apparently since I had mine about 6 years ago they have done studies and say that a guinea pig can break thier back in one. Ours liked to come out and play and liked to be held. If you tame them right and work with them daily they can be amazing pets. We are waiting for the pet store to have two for adoption. Rabbits are fun too. I know some people keep pot belly pigs though I know nothing about them other than I heard they are simalar to dogs in personallity. Why do you discount a small dog if you want an animal that really will love being held, and cuddled and want to play with you? Just wondering.

GemmasMom
07-03-2012, 09:09 AM
I got 2 parakeets in February. They are very intelligent, and they are finally warming up to me this summer since I am home more :)

Puchiko
07-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Why do you discount a small dog if you want an animal that really will love being held, and cuddled and want to play with you? Just wondering.

I live in a place that does not allow cats and dogs but allows other small animals. Also if I were to move to a place that allowed them I would get a cat over a dog right away.

mommyzoo
07-03-2012, 09:42 AM
I was just wondering. I enjoyed our guinea pigs. My husband threw a fit for a dog and ended up with one. His dog scared the piggies so we found them a new home. I didnt like it, but sometimes you have to give. The dog we have now would probably whine at any piggies but listens way better than said puppy. Plus we are moving the school room to an area where the dog isnt allowed and all our little pets will go in there. Good luck with your decision.

Lougarry
07-03-2012, 10:16 AM
I looked after a friend's guinea pigs over Christmas and didn't take to them. I had to spot clean several times a day and no matter what I gave them to do and how much I had them out they always looked bored. The kids liked them but I definitely wouldn't have any.

In your position I definitely would have rats over gerbils, but no point suggesting them if you don't like the idea. Unfortunately my husband has vetoed them. I saw a beautiful pair recently, one dove-grey and white and one beige and white.

crazygal330
07-03-2012, 10:25 AM
I think a good way to chose is to research about their care etc and see which suits your lifestyle and budget the most. Can you afford their start up set-up, a big enough cage for example, do you have space for a cage large enough to keep them happy? How much handling do you want from them? how much handling will they tolerate: gerbils not much, guinea pigs lots. How often would you be willing to clean them out. how much smell could you put up with? (rules out ferrets normally! :mad:)

I spent a long time thinking about which pet I wanted from this kind of angle. Based upon longevity and sociability I chose rats. I wasn't sure where I would be in a few years time, so I know i will not ever be in a situation where I can't put them first.
Chosing a pet by their "base cost" is a bad idea to be honest. My rats were cheap to aquire but their vets bills have greatly exceeded any costs of anything I have bought for them.

Mikayla
07-03-2012, 10:31 AM
I love chinchillas, but the relationship between chinchillas and humans is a very unique bond. Chinchillas are not cuddly (They are rarely cuddly, I guess I should say, I have a few cuddlers) but they are very social with humans and once you have their trust you will never lose it. I have three chins that I am very close with. Ellie is everything a chinchilla shouldn't be (She's like me in animal form!). Ellie hates strangers, hates other chins, and bites and sprays anyone other than me or my dad, but she also loves being pet and scratched ALL over (she loves having her belly scratched <3), and likes to give kissing and sleep on my lap. Her favorite thing to do is to groom me, I ended up with a partial eyebrow last time I let her go too far. >.< Maia is a baby that I hand-raised and even though she isn't cuddly she is very affectionate. She will groom me, and jump all over me, and give me kisses. She likes scritches under the chin and behind the ears ONLY. She's in her rebellious teenage stage right now so she's been pretty naughty. Stormy is a chin that I got two years ago and wasn't tame at all, she actually bit me the first time I met her! But after her near death experience with pyometra we bonded and now she lives to lay her head on my chest and sleep.

Although bonds like those aren't easy to make, they are worth the time and effort. Chinchillas are very affectionate in their own way.

mommyzoo
07-03-2012, 10:42 AM
That is cool. My husband has wanted a chinchilla for ages but I havent done the research. It is good to know what they are like. I dont know when we will want to get one but one day maybe.

I love chinchillas, but the relationship between chinchillas and humans is a very unique bond. Chinchillas are not cuddly (They are rarely cuddly, I guess I should say, I have a few cuddlers) but they are very social with humans and once you have their trust you will never lose it. I have three chins that I am very close with. Ellie is everything a chinchilla shouldn't be (She's like me in animal form!). Ellie hates strangers, hates other chins, and bites and sprays anyone other than me or my dad, but she also loves being pet and scratched ALL over (she loves having her belly scratched <3), and likes to give kissing and sleep on my lap. Her favorite thing to do is to groom me, I ended up with a partial eyebrow last time I let her go too far. >.< Maia is a baby that I hand-raised and even though she isn't cuddly she is very affectionate. She will groom me, and jump all over me, and give me kisses. She likes scritches under the chin and behind the ears ONLY. She's in her rebellious teenage stage right now so she's been pretty naughty. Stormy is a chin that I got two years ago and wasn't tame at all, she actually bit me the first time I met her! But after her near death experience with pyometra we bonded and now she lives to lay her head on my chest and sleep.

Although bonds like those aren't easy to make, they are worth the time and effort. Chinchillas are very affectionate in their own way.

HadleyHam
07-03-2012, 10:58 AM
I had 2 male guinea pigs growing up, though not at the same time. My first was Mel, a pet shop GP who only lived about 2 weeks to a month in my care. About a year later I got Cleo(patrick) who was from a litter of my friend's GPs. He was originally named Cleopatra because I thought he was a girl until I noticed him grow some extra junk in his trunk.

I loved Cleo very much, but unfortunately I would say that I grew bored of him after a few years and he became more of my mother's pet. The major con I can remember is waking up to his squeaking! I don't think I have ever had a noisier pet (except when my dog barks)!

Kissa
07-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Guinea pig care is simalar to hamsters on a larger scale.

I would disagree partly on this. Guinea pigs take a lot more cleaning out than hamsters do, for a start!

How often would you be willing to clean them out. how much smell could you put up with? (rules out ferrets normally! :mad:)

Ferrets don't actually smell that much, despite their reputation. I went to a friend's house, and her ferrets had a slight smell if you shoved your nose into their fur. The dog smelled more than the ferrets! (Un-neutered ferrets have a stronger smell ;))

Puchiko: I'm starting to think rabbits are the best bet for you. They can be litter trained, making cleaning up after them easier, and they're sociable :)

Hammielover
07-03-2012, 02:26 PM
I think you should either get a Rabbit or a Chinchilla :)

Queen Of The High Teas
07-03-2012, 02:42 PM
If you wan't a pet that is cuddly and will interact with you, but isn't the commitment and work a dog is, I recommend rats. They are friendly, loving, actually want to be with you, very clever and intelligent, plus you can train them to come on command and stuff. Out of all the animals I have, apart from the dogs, it would be the rats I would suggest to anyone looking for a human orientated pet that is fairly easy to to look after.

I agree with MMMTDF about chinchillas. They're generally not as cuddly as they look, and don't really like being held that much. I've had 2 and whilst they were lovely and friendly, they weren't what I would class as 'cuddleable' (though one was better than the other due to being practically hand reared). The chances of getting another like that are slim though, so I haven't bothered getting any more.

TraceyH
07-04-2012, 01:50 AM
I only like hamsters and birds so had to be birds for me. My cockatiel is never away from me when I'm home. Alway's sits on my shoulder or my head. Only drawback is she doesn't like my ears so I sometimes wear those earmuffs that skiers wear, which causes hot ears in the summer.

shazzy
07-04-2012, 03:56 AM
I was thinking the same thing, whether I should move on from hamsters and get something different (I find the short lifespans quite hard to cope with as I get so attached) - I was wondering about a Chinchilla myself, as I am not so bothered about the cuddlyness. I have also thought about rats...

but then, I cant resist hammies in need and their little personalities and quirks, so no doubt I will be getting another Syrian soon enough!!

Flamestriker
07-04-2012, 04:21 AM
What pet after the hamsters...more hamsters! Seriously, I've returned to hammy keeping after 6 years or so, and kept them for 19 years before that. I want a guinea pig, but I am unsure, and I'm currently looking in to chinchillas. But I love hamsters. Yes, they have short life spans, but they give so much joy that I simply can't resist. And they are so cute to boot.

Mikayla
07-04-2012, 09:30 AM
The thing to keep in mind about chinchillas is that they live from 10-16 years. I have a 12 year old male who is in tip top shape. They are a LONG term commitment.

Ren
07-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Watch this and tell me that rats aren't adorable!

Rat loves cat! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ikm3o5hDks)

mommyzoo
07-04-2012, 11:00 AM
That is so wierd. My cat would eat them. I hate wild rats and mice. Rats creap me out. I like hamsters and can handle them though most people think they look like mice. I can see a difference. I wouldnt want my cat to eat them so I make sure to keep them apart.

Watch this and tell me that rats aren't adorable!

Rat loves cat! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ikm3o5hDks)

Ren
07-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Well yes of course I'd keep mine away from cats and other animals as well, but I just thought it showed how sweet and cute rats are. :)

mommyzoo
07-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Yeah it is cool. But I cant get over the icky feeling. To me rats are creepy. But I am glad there are people out there who will take the pet rats home and love and play with them. i dont want any animal to suffer but they are really creepy and yucky and kind of scary for me.

blade100
07-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Get rats! Honestly I think there the best small pet out there.
I have 10 male rats of varying ages living all together in a huge cage full of hammocks,ropes,shelves,ladders,storage baskets,etc etc.
They love living in groups and are highly sociable so getting at least 2-3 same sex are a must.

Mine are litter trained to poo in there corner trays. They get cleaned out everyday and a whole cage clean out every Saturday. There hammocks get washed every 4 days as rats do like to marinate in there own pee pee. That's just rats for you. Lol.

This is an excellent rat forum if you want to learn more about them Fancy Rats &bull; Index page (http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk)

Amy :)

Ren
07-05-2012, 05:15 AM
They like to marinate in their own pee? :/
Maybe it's because you have 10. I don't like the sound of that. :(

blade100
07-05-2012, 07:08 AM
nope all rats pee in there hammocks its just what rats do.
even when i had 2 rats they still did it.
thats why you have to wash there hammocks.

crazygal330
07-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Yep. Hammock peeing is fairly normal. Same as peeing on shelves in a normal behaviour! I have had a rescue rat come to me with a hammock that had never been washed in 4 months. I think I nearly threw up! I change my hammocks every week, and usually do a "rat washing" load, once I have enough to be worth washing. thankfully we have lots of spares :D

ButterNut
07-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Ever considered a parrot? Yeah, when most people think of parrots they think of an extremely high maintenance, 100 year old living, loud pet. But there are parrots that are actually pretty easy! I've never owned one but I really want a green cheek conure. Here re some going from easiest to hardest. Parrots also like to be around humans and some are really cuddly
Parakeet/budgie: Price: 10-20 dollars loudness: not loud. Only chirps. Size: tiny. Easyness: very easy. Age: 8-10 years. Cuddliness: Most aren't very cuddly but if hand tamed they like humans and can be cuddly.
Cockatiel: Price: 20-50 dollars. loudness: not very loud. Size: small. Easyness: easy. Age:10-18 years (might be wrong). Cuddlyness: can be very cuddly. At least far more cuddly then a hamster.
Cockatiels are known to be very loyal and easy.

Green cheek conure: price: 100-200 dollars. Loudness: not too loud. Size: small easiness: kind of easy but much harder then a hamster! Cuddlyness: reaally cuddly. Most love cuddles.

And you should get one hand tamed if you get one

Ren
07-05-2012, 09:52 PM
I have had birds. They are not easy. They also require friends and I think it is very cruel to house birds alone, they are extremely social and if you leave them alone too much they will truly suffer from it and can show behavior such as feather pulling and even amputation of their own feet. Of course that would take severe neglect and I don't think anyone on this forum would do that. But they are very needy and need to have someone around them a bunch and need constant stimulation to feel healthy and good. They need enormous expensive cages and many, many toys that need to be switched out every week or so. I love birds and my fiance is planning to get a pair of cockatiels many years from now: the reason he isn't now is because we're full time students and we are very busy. Birds are something to plan a long, long time for. They live very long lives as well so you have to be sure that you're willing to keep them for up to 20 years.

ButterNut
07-05-2012, 10:50 PM
I have had birds. They are not easy. They also require friends and I think it is very cruel to house birds alone, they are extremely social and if you leave them alone too much they will truly suffer from it and can show behavior such as feather pulling and even amputation of their own feet. Of course that would take severe neglect and I don't think anyone on this forum would do that. But they are very needy and need to have someone around them a bunch and need constant stimulation to feel healthy and good. They need enormous expensive cages and many, many toys that need to be switched out every week or so. I love birds and my fiance is planning to get a pair of cockatiels many years from now: the reason he isn't now is because we're full time students and we are very busy. Birds are something to plan a long, long time for. They live very long lives as well so you have to be sure that you're willing to keep them for up to 20 years.

Its not cruel to house birds alone. You need to give them an hour to 2 hours+ a day but its okay if some days your busy and cant give them tons of attention. You wont come back and they be featherless or anything! You do need time to spend though

Parakeets are pretty easy ive heard. An hour really isnt much compaired to most pets. If you want a pet as easy as a hamster, you can really only choose from a mouse then.

You can get a nice cage on craigslist for about the same price as a hamster cage.

Also, EVERY animal is something to plan a long time to. As I said, Parakeets live about 8-10 years.

Budgies and cockatiels are much easier then a ferret or chin and a budgie is probably a bit harder then a guinea pig. They really arent very hard compaired to most animals but yes they are something to commit to. They are much harder then hamsters but so are every animal your thinking of.

But I guess I cant really talk since ive never had them but ive done lots of research and this is just what ive heard.

ButterNut
07-05-2012, 10:51 PM
-By the way, im talking about budgies and cockatiels, NOT birds in general!