PDA

View Full Version : Is the cage I have good enough?

Lauralou
07-01-2012, 10:27 PM
I need your advice guys please, I have a hamster cage, no idea what it is called, there was no box, or label of any sort on it in the pet shop, it was the biggest they had which is why I bought it. I can add a photo but will have to put it back together as took it apart to clean in after Rodney went to the bridge.

I would really like to adopt Delilah, (Syrian) but I want to make sure I have everything that she needs. I know I have the love and the consideration, but maybe not all the knowledge.

The cage I have has a plastic base, wire top and sides, with three shelves and ladders. There is a wheel, but Rodney didn't use it, only to sleep on, Or climb over the top of it, I was worried he would hurt himself so I took it out. Having read your other posts I think it may have been too small for him, so first thing I will be doing is getting a bigger one, a flying saucer or a closed in one (which is best? I suppose the best judge would be the hammy using it)?!

I had one of those bendy plastic tubes which I put in so Rodney could use it to get from one level to another, he also used to sleep in it sometimes, or eat in it, especially monkey nuts and sunflower seeds. Anyway.....the cage.....

I had a couple of bowls in there on different levels so he could 'forage' there would be different things in each, dried food (which is the best)? Bits of fresh veg, sometimes apple and the odd grape (not all at once), monkey nuts in the shell, and one for water - he had a bottle but towards the end he seemed to struggle to drink out of it and I saw him using the bowl much more often.

I did use wood shavings as substrate, but now that I have looked on the scritches website and seen they do not like them to be used. I have looked up different types, but feel bamboozled, I was hoping that you would be able to tell me what is best? I also felt a bit bad because the shelves are plastic that they would be uncomfortable for the hammy to walk on - or is this fairly standard and acceptable? I thought about covering them with something or some substrate, but it would just get pushed out through the bars and make a real mess.

I used to have an indoor rabbit and still have the cage, I was thinking about using it as a playpen for Rodders, but he passed away just as I had the idea. Obviously the bars are much further apart than those of a hamster cage. What would I used to 'mesh' it? Wire? Plastic (prob not as chewable)??

I have a little plastic house that Roddy would sleep in, although I'm still baffled as to how he fitted in it. I had an edible half tube thing that looked like a log, I think he chewed it once and then that was it, he just used to use it to climb over, he also had one of the balls with openings in made out of hay, but again never ate it or went inside it, I used to hide monkey nuts in there for him. I've thrown both of these away now.

And finally, is there anything which I have not asked, that I need to know!? Or that you would recommend to include in the cage? What about dust baths and a potty?

Thanks everyone, and sorry this is soooo long!

Laura xx

Kissa
07-02-2012, 01:32 AM
We can't really advise on cage suitability if we don't know the size ;) I'd recommend a cage about 80 by 50cm lengthxwidth for a Syrian. Plastic shelves are perfectly fine, in fact they are preferred over other shelves like wire ones, which can cause bumblefoot -- the same is true of wire mesh wheels. A lot of hamster houses that come with cages are too small for Syrians (like the wheels that come with the cages), so you may want to look at "rat" and "guinea pig" houses for ones of a more suitable size, if you want to give a house. Houses aren't necessary, though, as long as you give enough bedding your ham will make themselves an open nest and be quite happy. (Make sure it's not fluffy cotton wool bedding as this is bad for hammies!)

Sand baths (not dust!) are generally enjoyed more by dwarfs than Syrians, but you can provide one if you want. Sometimes they get used as intended, sometimes they get used as a toilet, sometimes they get used as a digging area or ignored completely ;)

As for meshing the rabbit cage, you can buy square mesh from garden centres/DIY shops. 1cm square mesh is plenty small enough to keep him inside the cage, and cable ties can be used to attach it to the bars. It might not look the prettiest, but it will do the job ;)

souffle
07-02-2012, 01:57 AM
If I were you I would send a PM to Vectis who is currently fostering Delilah and ask her what she currently has and give the measurements of the cage etc so she can say what she thinks. I know she currently has a Savic Jumbo Rolly wheel but can use a Junior Wodent wheel so that must be a good size for her but needs rat sized tubes. She is in a barred cage with shelves but Vectis will let you know and also the substrate. Maybe carefresh would suit you?

Lougarry
07-02-2012, 05:24 AM
Carefresh is rather expensive. If you have an equine supply store near you and somewhere to store a large sack I would recommend Megazorb. However, I've always kept Dinah on wood shavings mixed with hay and it works very well.

kyrilliondaemon
07-02-2012, 05:31 AM
We use aubiose for our substrate (in most cases). Do have a single roborovski on shavings though.

1cm mesh (or smaller if you're worried about bar chewing) is great for meshing hamster cages :)

Lauralou
07-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Thank you for your advice :) I have been doing research and I will hopefully find a reasonable supplier near me. I have taken your advice Souffle and sent a PM to Vectis to find out what Delilah is used to.

Thanks again all of you xx

Vectis Hamstery
07-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Delilah says thank you for reminding me to change her wheel! Souff's right that she did have a jumbo rolly. I have now changed her over to the junior wodent wheel (as long as she doesn't chew it, cheeky madam!). She has a rat tube between her two shelves as I prefer them to 'hamster' tubes. They are wider and have ventilation in case someone silly decides to nest in them. They are also suitable for any show hamsters that would live in the cage in future. Delilah herself is chunking up nicely at 168g.

I would agree with others that plastic shelves are good - much better than wire ones :) I prefer bottles to bowls, and Delilah is happy using a bottle. It's up high in her cage as she sometimes chews it and raising it higher makes her less likely to chew the spout.

It depends where you are in Hampshire, but Botley Mills (http://www.botleymills.co.uk/) does Megazorb (and Aubiose, her current substrate).

In terms of house, I'm not a fan of plastic ones as they tend to be small for Syrians and hot and sweaty for dwarfies (unless split in half and only half used!). Cardboard boxes are what I prefer to use, though Delilah has ignored her box and makes an open nest under her shelf (her bedding is toilet paper which she shreds to her liking). She's a bit of a chewer so smaller mesh may be a good idea (though apparently even 0.6mm mesh won't deter the determined monkey-barring chewer, according to the person who borrowed the ZZ2 I meshed!)

I really hope you apply for Delilah. :)

ETA: I have also replied to the PM with more info specifically about Princess Delilah. I also added info about food. She has both dried herbs scattered on the substrate, mix in her bowl, dog biscuits on her shelf and extras (baby food, chicken, fruit/veg) 1-2 times a week in a paper case on her shelf. Oh, and the odd choccy drop when she's out for snuggles which has helped her regain her trust in humans very quickly!

Lauralou
07-03-2012, 01:23 AM
I have sent an email to the rescue about Delilah, so fingers and toes crossed! I've just had a look at the two different wheels, I think I will order a wodent wheel, if I was going to run on a wheel that's the one I'd feel safest in!

When it comes to meshing, are hammers able to chew through the wire? I have had a look online at different types, and there is so much to choose from! I was looking at the rectangular wire Mesh Direct (Mesh Direct) :: Wire Mesh Galvanized (http://www.meshdirect.co.uk/Wire-Mesh-Galvanized-c-1.html) not sure what gauge would be right? Is bar chewing bad for them? I have looked it up on google, but the information is conflicting, some say yes, some say no, and others just say its noisy and annoying! Rodney would chew the bars sometimes despite all my efforts at supplying wooden blocks from the pet shop, cardboard boxes, edible log things etc

kyrilliondaemon
07-03-2012, 03:47 AM
As long as you use wire mesh then hamsters can't chew through it, its just like the bars of a cage except its not covered in something to make it look a different colour.

Most of us don't worry about the gauge thing, we just see whats avaliable in the shop where we buy our mesh lol

Bar chewing is/can be bad. It is noisy and annoying but those aren't the real concerns, the real concerns are that it can lead to hamsters developing dental problems, these can be anything from a loose or twisted tooth right through to pulling a tooth out. Lots of potential problems and loads of potential worry - plus the potential nightmare of regular tooth clipping for the rest of the hamsters life. Really, really best avoided.
A lot will probably never suffer these problems from bar chewing but the risk is there and its a risk I'd strongly advise everyone to avoid taking.

Lauralou
07-03-2012, 06:34 AM
thanks kyrilliodaemon, will the wire mesh stop them from chewing the bars?

Lougarry
07-03-2012, 09:55 AM
If you get 6mm mesh, hamsters find it very difficult to chew, however hard they try!

kyrilliondaemon
07-03-2012, 10:15 AM
1cm mesh is easily chewed, but our syrian Fwirl is er... less than thrilled with her 6mm square mesh. She physically can't get her teeth on it. I've watched her try and fail at least twice and now she's just given up completely lol