PDA

View Full Version : opinions please

TheMetalComet
06-30-2012, 10:14 AM
i made bin cages for my syrians but now a second hamster has chewed thru hers (and got into my bed :eek:) so what do you think of those plastic cages with the wire doors on top? i like these because they reduce the mess of the sawdust. has anyone had a hamster eat thru it?? what do ye think of them in general?

mangoandmimi
06-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Like mini duna style cages?
Yup i love them :D But yes, i've had 2 escapees (Pearl and Mimi) who managed to get through similar cages, but they're not hard to patch up (unless you don't want them to look like patchwork quilts after a while)
I like that they're see through like a tank, but not nearly as heavy! And you can pile bedding higher up than barred cages. But interaction with the hamster isn't too good unfortunately, but that can't exactly be helped.

TheMetalComet
06-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Like mini duna style cages?
Yup i love them :D But yes, i've had 2 escapees (Pearl and Mimi) who managed to get through similar cages, but they're not hard to patch up (unless you don't want them to look like patchwork quilts after a while)
I like that they're see through like a tank, but not nearly as heavy! And you can pile bedding higher up than barred cages. But interaction with the hamster isn't too good unfortunately, but that can't exactly be helped.

the ones im looking at are a good bit bigger tho i realy like the space in them.

how would i patch them up? ust in case.

mangoandmimi
06-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Yeah, there's lots of cages with a similar build to the mini duna (eg zoozone 1/2)

http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/29289-zoozone-ideas-adaptations.html
^ There are some good ideas there, although it's a lot of effort if you have persistent chewers. For me, puzzle playground or the wooden version (dont know the name) glued on worked pretty well. For small holes (if you catch them early enough!) a large nut, bolt and washer do the trick.

Poetgonemad
06-30-2012, 12:26 PM
I tried to put my syrians in bin cages and they get through it. They get through everything!!! I ended. Up using a 20 gallon for my oldest and a 10 gallon for my bby ash

kyrilliondaemon
06-30-2012, 02:07 PM
We're using a ZZ2 now for a roborovski :)
I love how deep you can put substrate, although personally I prefer bars in most cases (he's the only ham we have without a barred cage/hutch).