View Full Version : Question...

Whitehologram
06-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Have you ever had anyone say this to you:

"you're overspending on your hamster! They only live for 2 years!"

Has anyone said that to you?

mommyzoo
06-28-2012, 02:06 PM
So they should be treated poorly, because they live such short lives? Man you are mean.

Lil Miss
06-28-2012, 02:07 PM
i dont think any of my friends would dare, but then again i dont tell them what i spend on my animals, they think i am mad with the amount i spend at the vets though when i take in animals in need :lol:

Kissa
06-28-2012, 02:08 PM
My mum called my Robo's mini duna "huge", so she probably thinks I am silly for spending more money on a bigger cage for him -- but I don't care :lol: it's my money (well, the government's technically, student loans for the win ;)).

Plus I like to think of it as an investment, anyway -- while each ham is special, cages last longer than hams do and I'm not giving up keeping hams any time soon :D A good cage will last multiple hams.

louisbs
06-28-2012, 02:09 PM
My friends know not to say a word to me like that.
I even spend £80 every month to feed the wild birds! hehe

mangoandmimi
06-28-2012, 02:12 PM
My mum thinks i should be saving up to help pay for uni, and my dad thinks i should be saving it all up for years on end for god knows what. I think it's safe to say they're not amused by my monthly ham spendings :rolleyes: They've never said i shouldnt be spending too much on them because of their short life span, as they (my mum, anyway) think an animal is an animal no matter what its size :D

student1304
06-28-2012, 02:13 PM
I've had people say in a jokey way how addicted I am to the hammys and how they are the most spoilt hamsters in existence. (which is doubtful on this forum ahah).
but I've never had someone disregard them because of their life span.
My mum didn't want me to get more because of their life span, but only because it upsets her when they pass.

It's really harsh that someone said that.

And mommyzoo, whitehologram didn't say that, the post was about someone saying it to her.

Kissa
06-28-2012, 02:13 PM
The boyfriend is the only other person who's opinion I care about and who doesn't have an interest in hamsters like this forum, and while he doesn't get the appeal of pets at all, he offered to buy me a hamster heaven when I first started thinking about getting a hamster because, even though it was expensive, it was the most suitable cage for a Syrian I had found at the time (I ended up getting a dwarf because of space issues, although since getting Darla my opinion of the mini duna has decreased :lol:) -- so what I am trying to say is that if it's the best thing for the ham, I'm fairly sure the boyfriend wouldn't think the amount of money for it is stupid. In fact, I think I am more likely to baulk at prices than he is :lol:

kyrilliondaemon
06-28-2012, 02:16 PM
No because I don't tend to tell them... My gran did tell me off for "spending all my money on the hamsters" when I told her Scamps bed was new. So I pointed out that it'd been like £1.80 minus a 15% discount :p (Then didn't mention the rest of the ECF order it'd arrived with lol)

Poetgonemad
06-28-2012, 02:24 PM
My gf just said that to me today. She said "youre getting to obsessed with your hamsters" and i said that i dontcare and that i love them so muxh they deserve all the love i can give.

Whitehologram
06-28-2012, 02:24 PM
I didn't say that....that was said (posted) to me on a different forum after seeing pictures of Daisy's cage. :(

I'm bothered by it to be honest. It wasn't necessary to say something like that. I know we don't all have the same finances and we all live in different situations personally and I never judge. I know we all do the very best we can for those we love (hams, kids, other pets...everyone) but it seems I was judged.

kyrilliondaemon
06-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Meh, if anyone complains about Daisys cage just show them Fwirl and Scamps rabbit hutches lol
I can count up the cost of Fwirl alone (she's our newest ham so its easier to remember costs of her things) and frankly its not exactly low... She's worth it though :)

vanilla-yazoo
06-28-2012, 02:40 PM
my mum recently said 'dont get too carried away' and said how most my wages go on hams/buns/shows, I always bring up that i dont spend money on other things, and dont go out, so its fine, plus i KNOW their monthly cost, I pay all my bills ect, then spoil them XD

mommyzoo
06-28-2012, 06:09 PM
I've had people say in a jokey way how addicted I am to the hammys and how they are the most spoilt hamsters in existence. (which is doubtful on this forum ahah).
but I've never had someone disregard them because of their life span.
My mum didn't want me to get more because of their life span, but only because it upsets her when they pass.

It's really harsh that someone said that.

And mommyzoo, whitehologram didn't say that, the post was about someone saying it to her.

I got that. That is what I would say. It is cruel not to give any animal the best life you can. If you cant give them the kind of care they need, you shouldnt have them. I know everyone on here knows that. It is just crazy that people think that if they dont live very long then you should just give them what ever is cheap. I had people give me dirty looks when I had hermit crabs because I was always buying them stuff and they can live a very long life if treated right though most people think they only live a few years. But the dollar store saved me lots. Even though we probably sunk about 1000 dollars into them before we had to move and I wasnt able to give them enough of the right kind of care. I also didnt have a good way to transport all 10 to our new home. Fortunately I was able to find them a good home and they are living it up in thier new home.

LawaRawr
06-29-2012, 12:42 AM
my parents do say i spend too much on my hamsters, and my step dad tells me that cookies HH is huge and you could fit a rabbit in it :S . but they don't say nothing about how i shouldn't spend so much money on them because they only live 2-3 years. they see it as they are my pet so if i spend all my money on them then so be it.

Whitehologram
06-29-2012, 01:35 AM
Daisy (and any future hamsters or other pets...I reserve the right to get different pets later ) and my all the other family members are really important to me and I do the best I can for all of them...no one is missing out on things because of building this cage. No one is hungry, lacking in clothes/toys/shoes....we all have everything we need. I haven't pinched from Peter to pay Paul to do this either. I'm aware of my finances and have no debt anywhere.

Yes, I know she'd be fine with less and the cage we has to start with was fine. The newer cage was as it was was fine too....but I could make adjustments and so I did.

Everyone does the best they can....if they do less than that it's themselves they need to judge, not me. (sorry, I'm still a bit hurt by the comments I got)

It's what's right for each individual. If Daisy wasn't happy I'd take the cage apart in a heartbeat. I may well have to later...when she's older and not safe. It's quite likely that I'll have to adjust it again to keep her healthy and so she can live within her abilities. And I'll do that gladly.

Bekki2308
06-29-2012, 03:19 AM
my step dad tells me that cookies HH is huge and you could fit a rabbit in it :S .

Oh my sounds like a pets at home education on rabbit keeping there hahaha. 2.5 hamter heavens long and 1.5 hamster heavens tall with 1.5 wide then yeah ... its ok for a rabbit.

and I get told I spend too much also! Yes the cages seem expensive but you could use some of the good ones for 10 years!

Whitehologram
06-29-2012, 03:38 AM
Oh my sounds like a pets at home education on rabbit keeping there hahaha. 2.5 hamter heavens long and 1.5 hamster heavens tall with 1.5 wide then yeah ... its ok for a rabbit.

and I get told I spend too much also! Yes the cages seem expensive but you could use some of the good ones for 10 years!

Yes!

This one when it's finished is going to last forever!
It's getting there. It's going to have 18mm thick walls of hardwood on the base now :D

LawaRawr
06-29-2012, 05:05 AM

haha i know xD ive had a rabbit before and my stepdad was always complaining about how big his run was, and the fact that he had his 5 foot hutch attached to it aswell. my parents don't really like small animals my mum wont even touch my syrian because she thinks she will hurt them :p

Sandti
06-29-2012, 06:39 AM
I think that it is BULL because buying the hamster stuff makes you happy right? Yes. Yes it does. So if it makes you happy then why would it be spending too much money on them. You can't put a price on happiness!
Plus it's not selfish to indulge a loved pet. It's not like they have all the things that we have. We can go out and spend money on whatever the hell we want XD

Plus most of the toys and stuff can be given to the next generation of HammyHamhams so...Bleh I say kick em in the shins!

StarlightSerenity
06-29-2012, 07:11 AM
Nope, anyone said that to me and still held that view after I explained exactly why I spend the amount I do wouldn't have me as a friend anymore.

My mums great, she buys stuff for Luna for me a lot. Although I think it's more for my happiness than for Luna's lol.

Stockannette
06-29-2012, 07:30 AM
Don't get me started! You know I support you.

I mean, hi, all! New to the forums, though I'm not new to checking out HC articles!

Whitehologram
06-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Don't get me started! You know I support you.

I mean, hi, all! New to the forums, though I'm not new to checking out HC articles!
I know...thanks for that too. I see she hasn't said anything since though.