PDA

View Full Version : Q. About Exercise Wheel!

CottonIsACutie
06-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Hello!

I've recently upgraded Cotton's cage to a large bin cage and with his new bin cage he's also received an exercise wheel upgrade!

It is the "Super Pet Hamster Silent Spinner 6-1/2-Inch Regular Exercise Wheel."
Cotton's old wheel came with his cage and was incredibly noisy - but comforting - because I knew he was getting his exercise as I'd hear him running several times per night.

Now, I cannot tell if he has been running on his wheel at night!
I'm wondering - is it really *that* silent or is a 6-1/2 inch wheel to large for a dwarf and maybe he dislikes it and is not using it?

I've been playing with him in and out of his ball to make sure he *is* getting exercise but I'm worried I may have purchased a wheel he dislikes :(

HadleyHam
06-27-2012, 02:05 PM
I would say that they are really silent, but he might still be getting used to his new wheel

CottonIsACutie
06-27-2012, 02:07 PM
I really hope so!
When I put him back in his cage sometimes he'll run into it but just kind of stand in it.
I slowly moved it with my fingers to give him the idea of "Hey, this is a wheel!" but when I do that he just kind of gives me a "So what?" kind of expression :3

HadleyHam
06-27-2012, 02:15 PM
He's probably running on it when you're not paying attention to him or when you're sleeping. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about!

Kissa
06-27-2012, 02:39 PM
I can barely hear Darla when he's on his silent spinner, and that's only when it's very quiet as I'm trying to fall asleep, and because I know what to listen for -- it's almost a very very quiet hissing sound. If you're worried, put something on the top of his wheel before you go to bed, and if it's not there in the morning it means the wheel has been used :)

CottonIsACutie
06-27-2012, 02:42 PM
^ Great idea! I'll do that tonight!

racinghamster
06-27-2012, 11:40 PM
The 6.5" silent spinner is the best dwarf hamster wheel in terms of being quiet. So my guess would be that Cotton is using it periodically when you are sleeping or not in the room! Just remember to unscrew the yellow parts if immersing the wheel in water to wash it as the screw on the back part will rust. Both parts just screw off and on again. It can be tricky but once you know how to remove them, it`s easy.

Also, if you use a ball, he might be too tired to use both, so I would stop using the ball and allow him to excersize on the wheel instead. That way he can choose when to run and when not to. In a ball he`s trapped in it.

kyrilliondaemon
06-28-2012, 05:06 AM
Yeah they are that silent. We have seven in the room with us when we sleep and its great how quiet they are :)

CottonIsACutie
06-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Good news!
I had trouble sleeping last night and I was half heartedly watching television and watching Cotton run around and do his hamster night errands - when I saw it! I caught him running on his wheel several times. :D

It really is silent!
I feel much better now that I've seen him use it. I was really concerned he wasn't getting enough exercise!

kyrilliondaemon
07-01-2012, 10:08 AM
If a ham isn't getting enough excercise you'll notice eventually. Scamp decided she didn't want to run in her wheels for a while (her store got too big, not sure why it mattered but it did), and in the end she gained weight visibly. We noticed, we fixed the problem. Its easily enough done if needed :)