PDA

View Full Version : Sand baths

elly
06-25-2012, 09:16 PM
I went to Petco today to buy a few things for my hamster(was very dissapointed btw) and could not find many sand bath options. There were two containers of Chinchilla dust, and one small container of Small animal dust. And only one bowl for baths. First off, do dust baths = sand baths? Secondly, I asked a worker there if there were more supplies than that.. she said no, then told me that Syrian hamsters do not need the baths, and do not like them, only dwarfs need them because of their thicker coat. Is this true? :( I wanted to give my hammy some sand to roll around in. (first iI would need to find a pet store that has a better selection >.< )

gutterglitterxx
06-25-2012, 09:21 PM
There is a big difference between the sand and dust. Do you have a PetSmart nearby? They sell the Super Pet brand chinchilla sand which I use all the time.

I think whether they like it or not really depends on the hammie. My Syrian, Cheeto, loooooves her sand even though she primarily uses it to pee in. (But hey, at least she's consistent!) My other Syrian, Jasmine, isn't interested at all. And my dwarfie doesn't care for it either. I've given it to her quite a few times to see if she'd change her mind but the most she ever did was walk over it and usually seemed freaked out by it!

You don't have to use a specific bathing bowl. I actually use a plastic container that originally had cold cut ham in it! It is nice and big and shallow enough that Cheeto can hop in easily but not too shallow that the sand goes everywhere.

I also find that sometimes the largest size food bowls that places sell can make good baths too. Good luck!

obscura
06-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Though I've only had my Syrian for two days, and never gave sand baths to my first Syrians when I was little... My new little girl seems to really like her sand bath. She doesn't roll in it constantly, but she does get in it and groom herself. My dwarfs do the same! Pet store employees don't always have the best advice. Trust me, I know! I worked at a pet supply store for a little under two years and I felt like I was the only person giving legitimate advice to the customers to benefit the animals. My co-workers didn't care as much as I did, and sometimes gave half-butted information (lol refraining form the word I really mean because there are young people here, too).

Anyway, don't do the dusts because they are more dusty. Hamsters, and all other rodents, have sensitive little noses. When I was doing research on sand baths, I was cautioned to make sure the package says, "sand bath," and NOT "dust." Just keep looking around. I buy my chinchilla SAND from the family owned pet supply store I used to work at. PetSmart and Petco didn't carry the product (not to say they ALL don't... but the ones here didn't). Look around at smaller pet stores. I'm sure SOMEONE carries it somewhere in your area! If that doesn't work, I think you can go buy that children's sand that goes into sandboxes. Someone also mentioned that you can bake the sand to eliminate any potential germs, but I think the children's sand is safe. I'd double check on that before taking my advice, though, because I never really looked into that sand considering I was able to get chinchilla sand locally.

All five of my hammies (4 dwarfs and 1 Syrian) have a sand bath in their bins, with 24/7 access.

LoveMyHams
06-25-2012, 09:47 PM
I use this stuff. I have found it at petco and petsmart and well as amazon
Amazon.com: Super Pet Chinchilla Bath Sand: Pet Supplies (http://www.amazon.com/Super-Pet-Chinchilla-Bath-Sand/dp/B0002568HM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340686033&sr=8-1&keywords=chinchilla+sand)

elly
06-25-2012, 10:29 PM
thanks ^^ it looked a bit too dusty for me, and there wasnt much of a supply, i will check petsmart

Cupcake
06-26-2012, 07:25 AM
I only have a Syrian, but she is absolutely crazy for the sand bath :) and I did not use a bowl made specifically for this, I am using the corner "potty" that came with the ZZ2 as it is gigantic

Arraminta
06-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Hi,

Both my Syrians have sand baths in their cages and playpen!! They love it. I know robos tend to go mental for them sizzling round and round but my Syrians dig it and rub it in and it keeps their coats beautiful... I'm sorry to say but I would not take any notice of anyone who works in a large pet shop!!
Any bowl will do with chinchilla sand and they will be happy .. I get a huge old fashioned sweet jar of sand from Jolleys

Hope it helps

Arraminta x

Willow's mummy!
06-26-2012, 08:10 AM
My Syrians have cat food bowls for their sand to match their food bowls :-) Willow now uses hers as a toilet as well as to groom herself in; Bethany uses hers at night but I've seen the footprints so I know she uses it.

CottonIsACutie
06-30-2012, 02:13 AM
Cotton is a dwarf and he adores his sand bath. I catch him rolling in it several times a day. :) I have it in his bincage all of the time - I believe that it helps relieve some of the itching that he is experiencing. He is being treated for mites at the moment. :(

I use a miniature dish that came with my dish-set. It's perfect for him. I have it in his cage and change the sand every other day.

Whitehologram
06-30-2012, 06:54 AM
Daisy's sand-bath is in her penthouse. She loves it. I know she uses it daily because I make marks in the sand and it's not like that when I get up in the morning,

Vectis Hamstery
06-30-2012, 07:24 AM
I use Chinese takeaway containers for my dwarf sand baths and have a ceramic dog bowl in the playpen with chinchilla sand. You can use children's play sand but it needs to be heated in the oven first to dry it and kill any bugs. My Syrians tend to use sand as a toilet but like a little frolic in the play box.