PDA

View Full Version : Roan/Wh gene - can you be sure?

Mollz
03-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Well we had been planning to keep a girl from our up and coming litter and mate her to Gizmo (mink roan)...
Until today when we find out that the 2 boys that they think would be best are both roans. So, I was just wondering whether roaning always shows clearly and if so could we keep a normal (not-roaned) girl and mate her to Gizzy or would it not be worth the risk (in case she did turn out to have the Wh gene but not show it clearly - I know it is dominant, but is it possible for it to not be very clear)?
:?
What would you do?

Spuds Mum
03-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Sometimes it can be quite hard to tell to be honest Mollz. In Princesses litter were some very dark 'badly' marked roans, and sometimes very early on, it was easier to tell some were roans by their lighter ears.

Heres a couple of pics of the litter
http://www.madabouthamsters.com/breeding_diary/current/princess_04-11-07/princess.html

as an example - the one climbing out of the playpen is roan - note the mottled ears!

I dont know what Sue would say, she has so much more experience than I, but we could tell, but it wasnt always easy, as some definitely weren't traditionally marked as a roan if you know what I mean! :roll:

Mollz
03-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Hm - that's what I was worried about to be honest. I would like to see what Sue says (hint, hint lol).

Would large breeders like Sue and Tristar be able to tell for definite?

Bourne Valley Hams
03-31-2008, 02:32 PM
If the white bellied gene is there then there will always be a red glint in the eyes. The eyes may appear dark but if you shine a torch into them (how cruel!!) and you can see red then there is a chance the white bellied gene is there. Obviously this is no help with a red eyed ham but it does help with sables and other black eyed hams.