PDA

View Full Version : My new Female hammy

sarahh
03-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Hi Everyone I have been a bit naughty today and ended up getting another hamster today from pets at home. She is lovely looking and from what I can tell and have looked up she is a black dominant spot.
I have called her Mya and she is about 8 weeks old.

I am going to let her settle in for 24 hours and then start handling her tommorow. I will let you know how it goes.

Sarah x

Basia
03-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Congratulations. A Black dom spot, how lovely. Look forward to seeing her photo. :D

Bunsey
03-31-2008, 11:20 AM
wow a dom spot from p@h, i've never seen one in there before. you are quite lucky. post pictures at once :lol:

sarahh
03-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks for your replies Basia and Bunsey. I will try posting some pics asap need her to be a bit tame first.

Sarah x

I_am_plankton
03-31-2008, 11:31 AM
She sounds lovely :D Wow a black dom spot *drool*

Spuds Mum
03-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Congratulations to you an Mya! Hope she settles in well and that we can see pictures soon. she sounds lovely :D

Mollz
03-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Mya sounds lovely - Congratulations!

sarahh
03-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi Plankton, Spud's mum and mollz Thank you. I have been talking to Mya alot tonight.

Sarah x

Gust0o
03-31-2008, 02:48 PM
We want pics! :D

sarahh
03-31-2008, 02:53 PM
hehe I will get some asap I made her jump earlier by accident she is gonna need to be a bit tame first. Poor little girl is terrified I don't think she's ever been handled before.
I will tame her up in no time though I like a challenge.

Sarah x

Bunsey
03-31-2008, 03:08 PM
pets at home don't handle their hams, or at least most stores don't, so when they're bought the new owner is the first to handle them.

Matty Day
03-31-2008, 03:18 PM
im wonder how they seprate them at the rodent farm probly bung all of them into a big box mixing loads of litters me thinks :cry:

Bunsey
03-31-2008, 03:21 PM
yes, probably. i've seen hams of different sizes and developments in tanks together and also colours i didn't think could've come out of the same litter.

Matty Day
03-31-2008, 03:27 PM
that’s why I think they get the sexes mixed up they probably do it before the majority have it maturity and are obvious me thinks as soon as they are about 18days done to shipments and order rather than the right time and they probably to so many at once that mistakes are easily made :roll:

agatecrystal
03-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Its mainly the stores that get the sexes wrong though Matty. Thats what I've found anyway. Mum bought a rabbit from p@h once told it was a female and it started humping our female guinea pig!

suga
04-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Welcome to the new addition, flicks soon I hope.

sarahh
04-01-2008, 04:49 AM
Hi ya thanks for your replies, I agree when an order goes through to the breeding farms they just get a couple from each of the tanks and mix them up so that they get different coloured hamster to each petshop. There must have been only Mya and another black and white hamter that looked like they'd come from the same litter. They did know what sex Mya was but when they had her I knew straight away what sex she was it was easy to see.

I handle Mya a little bit last night as she was lively and playing about. Poor little girl was so terrified and was squarking because she was scared and I got weed on. I really feel for as they don't know whether us humans are going to hurt them or not. I will have her tame in no time though I have dealt with worse than Mya and succeeded.

She came out for a drink and a bit of food earlier and I spoke gently to her. I will handle Mya again tonight.

Holly
04-01-2008, 05:27 AM
Congratulations on the new arrival and good luck with the taming, I'm sure she'll be fine once she realises you aren't going to hurt her, bless her.

I'd love to see piccies when she's settled - a black Dom Spot is high on our wish list and I love looking at their markings - seems P@H really are going for it with "unusual" colours these days/

sarahh
04-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi Holly

Thanks for that. I have handled Mya tonight she did squark a bit in her house but I spoke to her gently and got her out and handled Mya whilst talking gently she seemed alot better tonight and was going from hand to hand.