PDA

View Full Version : Plasticoting a whole cage? and plastic wheels?

Bekki2308
06-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Is this a daft idea? My skyline ted cage has untreated bars and I was wondering if anyone had done this and if its pretty feasible to spray the whole lot. I can imagine it will be a lot of work which is fine and it will probably need a primer, colour then lacquer which is fine.

Also how well does a plastic base stand up to being sprayed a different colour? or even a wheel?

I enjoy spray painting and redo my car and stuff by myself so having to redo it all yearly or so would not bother me at all :-)

Queen Of The High Teas
06-23-2012, 03:54 PM
I have resprayed the bars of cages before. It works ok, but it very wasteful, as a lot of the paint just goes on whatever is under the bit your painting. I did a wire shelf for my galaxy cage a couple weeks ago, it used a whole tin of plasticote as you just have to hold the wire up and spray on it, and when I'd finished, although my wire was nice and silver, so was the garden table I had leant it on!:mad: So yes it does work, but you loose a heck of a lot. I know what you mean about the Ted cage, I didn't like the roughy feel of the bars either - kept making me think it either hadn't been finished properly or like a flakey old ironwork that leaves your hands orange if you touch it! Not sure about plastic though, it might just peel off.

gellerbing
06-23-2012, 04:17 PM
ive only plasticoted wooden items so sorry i cant be of any help

Lougarry
06-23-2012, 11:03 PM
I think Yaz has Plastikoted a cage base.

And rat owners often sand down and repaint bars.

Bekki2308
06-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Cheers :-)

I know plastic can be sprayed as I do my cars wheel trims (I am terrible for curbing them!) its cheaper to sand and respray the scuffs haha I just wondered how feasible and long lasting it would be on a ham wheel or something.

Sungirl
06-26-2012, 01:11 AM
I used plasti-kote on a silent spinner wheel - coated it perfectly. It works well on plastic, just make sure the surface is clean and free from grease.

Bekki2308
06-26-2012, 01:17 AM
woop cheers!

I fancy doing the silent spinner all red to match the rest of the cage, pudding the winter whites cage will be entirely red :-) Its nice and bright and hamsters cant see red apparenlty so it shouldnt bother her!

A good scrub with washing up liquid will do the job for grease :-) works on wheel trims to even get car oil, road oil etc off!

Sungirl
06-26-2012, 01:44 AM
woop cheers!

I fancy doing the silent spinner all red to match the rest of the cage, pudding the winter whites cage will be entirely red :-) Its nice and bright and hamsters cant see red apparenlty so it shouldnt bother her!

A good scrub with washing up liquid will do the job for grease :-) works on wheel trims to even get car oil, road oil etc off!

it was really easy. I needed to spray the purple part of the SS wheel so just carefully detached it from the back part and sprayed it - easy peasy. it was a warm sunny day so was dry and back in the cage within a few hours. I have a wooden theme going on in my tank and the purple just didn't go so I found some cream plasti-kote and used that :mad:

Bekki2308
06-26-2012, 02:24 AM
Awesome! how well does the paint stand up to hamsters?

Sungirl
06-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Awesome! how well does the paint stand up to hamsters?

well so far so good. it's a popular product so I'm hoping it's hard wearing enough for their little toes :D

Bekki2308
06-30-2012, 01:03 PM
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/562759_10151124399252573_1805164202_n.jpg

I did my wheel :-) it is done in plastikote insignia red

sully
06-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Looks good!

Bekki2308
06-30-2012, 01:35 PM
:-) tisnt perfect and could do with some super fine sand paper and a layer of clear laquer on it but its the same red as most other hammy things so I am happy!