PDA

View Full Version : lh gene questoin

Matty Day
03-30-2008, 08:19 AM
i thought i would ask this questoin if i mate a lh ham to sh ham.

would i get
1 a mixed litter of long hairs and short hairs?
2 just short hairs carrying longhair?

as idealy i would like a mix in the litter :wink:

Bunsey
03-30-2008, 08:20 AM
you will get all SH carrying LH unless the SH parent also carries LH then you'll get a mix.

Mollz
03-30-2008, 09:02 AM
you will get all SH carrying LH unless the SH parent also carries LH then you'll get a mix.

Yes, so if you wanted a mix you would need to look for a SH hamster that has a LH parent so that they carry LH.

Matty Day
03-30-2008, 11:38 AM
im defintly after a lh carrier then :wink:

souffle
03-30-2008, 01:51 PM
A judge or experienced breeder will easily recognise a LH carrier as they will usually have long hair behind the ears and longer tufts on the scent glands and a few ong hairs on the back end. :lol:

Bunsey
03-30-2008, 02:01 PM
oh wow that's really interesting. i'm pleased about that because although i wanted long-hair babies, i'm going to get all LH carriers from Oscar/Phoebe so i'm glad if they'll have a few tufts :D

my Harvey/lady X litter will all be LH. If Harves is infertile, Oscar will service lady X too and so also have all LH :D

Holly
03-30-2008, 02:25 PM
But don't SH hams get marked down for having the tufts that LH carriers have - I always thought they did? :?

Bourne Valley Hams
03-30-2008, 02:28 PM
But don't SH hams get marked down for having the tufts that LH carriers have - I always thought they did? :?

Indeed they do. But not all sh carrying lh show any signs of lh.
For example, the famous Mackeson carries lh but has the shortest densest coat.

Holly
03-30-2008, 02:32 PM
I thought so (why I've tried to mate LH to LH this time - though it was lovely to have such a mix in my litter last time). I guess it's the luck of the draw whether they are "tufty" or not - if they aren't how do you know they carry LH?

(I'm guessing the answer is that you don't until they have a litter!).

Matty Day
03-30-2008, 02:35 PM
i realy do want a mix and so my three syrains wont be all against each other when i have three which wont be to december :x