PDA

View Full Version : Nutmeg is ruining her wooden house!

Charlotte_Alice
06-20-2012, 02:54 PM
I hope someone can help - Nutmeg is young and she is being a real pest to potty train (safe to say she just goes wherever) and she pees in her lovely wooden house that she inherited from Venetia.

However she pees in the same corner of the house wherever I place it in her cage. I want to get her a plastic house but they seem quite small doorwise as she is a fatty.

I was considering adapting a small tupperware for her - anyone else have this problem?

Willow's mummy!
06-21-2012, 08:39 AM
what if you tried a litter tray in the part of the house that she wees in? I've got the little corner trays for my hamsters.

Queen Of The High Teas
06-22-2012, 01:29 PM
You might be able to train her somewhere to use somewhere else, but I'd imagine the house to be no good now. Every single wooden item that any of my rodents have had, has had to go in the bin as soon as I've realised the pee has soaked in. Nothing washes it out, in my experience, so they continue to use it as the scent draws them to it, and they just go stink. Not only is it really strong, it makes a nice fresh cage smell like it's not been cleaned for weeks! I no longer use wooden anything in their cages, it's either plastic or cardboard which can be disposed of with every cage clean. If it's still a puddle on the wood, you might wash it out (not had much luck here either) but other than that I doubt you will.

If it's trickly wash it quickly, soaked right in it's for the bin - that's my motto with wood!!:mad:

mangoandmimi
06-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Haha Mimi destroyed her rather expensive, lovely wooden house too >_< Absolute nightmares!
You could always try giving her an open nest (literally a big pile of bedding) .. just means she can't destroy it! Or just an open bottom house if you haven't got one already :) If not, cereal boxes make perfectly fine houses :p

Lougarry
06-23-2012, 01:17 AM
I second what m&m said. Cut a hole in a cardboard carton and replace it when it starts getting soggy!

Sungirl
06-26-2012, 01:15 AM
I hope someone can help - Nutmeg is young and she is being a real pest to potty train (safe to say she just goes wherever) and she pees in her lovely wooden house that she inherited from Venetia.

However she pees in the same corner of the house wherever I place it in her cage. I want to get her a plastic house but they seem quite small doorwise as she is a fatty.

I was considering adapting a small tupperware for her - anyone else have this problem?

I believe Plasti-kote do a clear colour - could you spray her wooden house with this?