PDA

View Full Version : Rat toys and ball?

pinkneon
06-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Just watching Belle running around in her ball but for some reason the ball now looks quite small. It might just be me but I'm wondering if maybe I should just get her a rat ball or will that be too big? When I got the ball the women told me it was suitable for Syrians ... Also which rat toys do your Syrians enjoy? It's payday tomorrow so I'm writing a list of things I need. Any help would be appreciated :)

kyrilliondaemon
06-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Both of our syrians have rat balls :)
The "hamster" ones are what we use for the dwarf hams, they're just too much smaller than the syrian wheels for us to want to use them. Plus Scamp outgrew hers and sulked in it until we bought her a bigger one lol

For rat toys we get hammocks, tubes, sputniks, other houses... Most hamster toys in the rat size really :)

Sandti
06-19-2012, 12:44 PM
I think if she looks too small for it then it would be a good idea to get another ball. Tbe goes with balls as with wheels, if her back is arching then it is too small for her.

It's probably because your hamster is larger than average, if you look at Minty's hammy Cinnamon....well she's a beast!
She's the biggest hamster I've ever seen and don't think you'd even be able to get her into the ball, not that you'd want to attempt it from what I understand XD.

Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
06-19-2012, 12:49 PM
If she looks too small in the hamster ball (typically they are about 7.5") then I would definitely get her a rat ball :) I have been looking in to getting one for Fatty for ages but the only ones I can find online cost between £15-£20!

Other than a ball there are a few rat toys I quite like the look of, rat hammock for starters and the big fluffy slippers you can buy (they are huge!) but they are no good if you have a chewer! Fatty chewed right through the base of his! If she isn't a chewer though this is the giant slipper I am on about - Igloos / Hammocks : *NEW* Snuggle Up Rat Slipper Toy - Choice of Colours Available! : www.EquineCanineFeline.com the place to buy all your Pet Products, Horse Products and Pet Supplies online (http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/snuggle-slipper-choice-colours-available-p-15577.html)

II pretty much just love everything in this section of ECF ;)
Rat Toys - Cheap UK Supplier : Online UK Pet Accessories, UK Pet Supplies, Rat, ferret, chinchilla, hamster, rabbit, guinea pig, cat, dog and horse products with FAST UK Delivery! (http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/small-animals-rats-toys-c-23_106_107.html?page=1&sort=1a)

Oh and this :p
Cuddle Igloo - Igloos / Hammocks : *NEW* Cuddle Up Rat Chinchilla Igloo: Choice of Fabrics! : www.EquineCanineFeline.com the place to buy all your Pet Products, Horse Products and Pet Supplies online (http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/cuddle-chinchilla-igloo-choice-fabrics-p-15581.html)

pinkneon
06-19-2012, 12:49 PM

Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
06-19-2012, 12:52 PM
It is certainly one of the cheapest! You can also use their 10% off discount code at any time - ABR733
Their postage is just short of £3 so its a little pricey if you only want 1 or 2 things but if you spend £29 its free so a great site for hamster hauls! :)

kyrilliondaemon
06-19-2012, 12:53 PM
ECF is awesome, my favourite pet shop by far. We've got an order from them in the post now :)

pinkneon
06-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Hahaaha! Sounds like soon they'll be either banning HC members, or setting up a new shop just for HC members! - You never know, they might even give HC members special discounts?! (Like a "friends discount" or something!)

On a side note, I'll take a look thanks :D ... Those slippers look awesome! Can I just ask why they're not suitable for chewersw? Is it because of the material?? Belle tends to chew the bars but not much else so not sure if it'd be ok for her? Looking to get her a new cage soon anyway!

kyrilliondaemon
06-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Chewers destroy fabric and it can make them ill if swallowed. Our Scamp is ok with hammocks though and she chews bars :)
(Fwirl on the other hand ate her hammock before she became a bar chewer lol)

pinkneon
06-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Lol ok thanks. I'll keep it in mind :D

Kissa
06-19-2012, 01:25 PM
ECF give out so many discounts anyway if you sign up to their newsletter, and there's also the ANIMAL discount code they tell you about with your first order ;) In answer to the main question, I believe balls are like wheels in that there's not really such a thing as too big :) I say go for it!

pinkneon
06-19-2012, 01:27 PM
What animal discount wit the first order???? I don't remember getting that!!

Willow's mummy!
06-19-2012, 01:35 PM
The other good thing about ECF is that if you put a message can you have specific colours or patterns of stuff, you get a lovely message back saying yes.

pinkneon
06-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Brill! I've just been looking at some of their stuff and have fallen in love with a lot of the pink stuff!! (I LOVE pink, and Belle is female so why not?! Only problem is using it all after Belle is no longer here - not sure a male hamster would like pink lol)

Lougarry
06-19-2012, 01:37 PM
There is a potential problem with rat balls. A friend's hamster's leg got quite badly hurt when it slipped through one of the air vents. I've stopped using a ball now as Magic's is a little small but I don't want to risk a rat ball.

Lougarry
06-19-2012, 01:38 PM
PS Magic is fine with his pink hammock (bought for Bear but she died before she got to use it).

pinkneon
06-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Ok, thanks for that ... She loves her ball, and it stops bar chewing - for a little bit anyway! ... Not too sure what to do now then ... Is there not a size inbetween hamster and rat? Like mouse or gerbil or something?!

Kissa
06-19-2012, 01:41 PM
What animal discount wit the first order???? I don't remember getting that!!

I got a card taped onto the box with my order reference, with the discount code on it ;)

pinkneon
06-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Oh! My order came in a plastic bag type thing rather than a box :(

kyrilliondaemon
06-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Our rat balls have thinner gaps than some hamster balls :)
They have as thin as the hamster ones we use for the dwarf hams so personally I think that as long as the gaps are small the ham is probably going to be ok. Its a risk, but its quite slim so I choose to take it.

louisbs
06-19-2012, 02:35 PM
10" Rodent Runner Large Rat Play Exercise Ball Wheel Toy | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Rodent-Runner-Large-Rat-Play-Exercise-Ball-Wheel-Toy-/140740848583?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item20c4ceebc7#ht_985wt_1163)

I have 2 of those for my syrians :)

CoolcatNatNat44
06-19-2012, 03:11 PM
I have the 11" savic rat ball for my hamsters. Luckily i got mine for £3 from a local charity shop. I have seen a few cheap ones in second hand shops etc lately so might be worth keeping a eye out :)

pinkneon
06-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks :) I've found so many things I want to get for her. Also found a nice big cage which is probably good or else I'll have nowhere to put any of the new toys!