PDA

View Full Version : Honey The Gerbil

debs
06-16-2012, 02:46 PM
well this is my lovely wee gerbil H0ney : ] please note, im getting her a friend so i don't need people reminding me about her i got her back in march as someone i knew got her from gumtree, and got bored with her :(

i need help with handling her she will take treats out of my hand but not too, good with picking up

need too get newer pictures

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx287/Debs9019/156273_142932225840202_1194703370_n.jpg
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx287/Debs9019/DSC_0212.jpg
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx287/Debs9019/image9.jpg

mangoandmimi
06-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Arrwh, hello sweetie :)
Boppit's a lone gerbil too and i don't intend on finding her a friend (just due to her personality), so don't worry :p

Michelle89
06-16-2012, 02:57 PM
beautiful :) love the cage! I want to be your gerbil debs lol xxx

debs
06-16-2012, 03:34 PM
i think it might bring her out a bit shes very shy and thank you she was in the smaller one when i picked her up . :[

Michelle89
06-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Aww well best keep an eye on the adoption bit at p@h for a girl gerbil lol im going tomorrow so al have a look to see what they have...and then i will cry when I fall in love with every animal in the section and cant save any :( xxx

debs
06-16-2012, 03:52 PM
please do i really want a black one lol, but the younger the better im going on tuesday hopefully i know thats when they get there new hams i will prob end up coming home with one like little Oreo <3

Schofield
06-19-2012, 01:46 AM
She's very pretty :) Hope she can get a friend soon. That should help overcome her shyness too as often lone gerbils are more skittish than if they were with a friend.

(if you're Debs who runs the hamster rescue btw it's Nicki from Indy's Rascals Gerbil Rehome)

SnickersTheFirst
06-19-2012, 11:54 AM
For a smooth intro you ideally want to find a breeder because the baby needs to be 6 weeks. :) A friend might actually make her braver, Buddy was so shy but if Murphy came running to me Buddy would too. :p

She's a cutie!

debs
06-19-2012, 04:51 PM
i picked her up a wee friend today shes black with a wee white chest shes meant too be 6 weeks but shes super tiny im gonna wait a week before i start just too get settled in etc :] Yeah i'ts me i dont do it as much theses days as i have other stuff going on as well but aways Happy too help. :]

debs
06-19-2012, 04:58 PM
my new wee one shes meant too be 6 weeks but im not really sure :S, im going too be moving them into crumbles tank its the bigger gerbil tank like urs and crumbles going in the hh picture of her.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2lkpfeo.jpg

SnickersTheFirst
06-20-2012, 12:11 AM
She does look around 6 weeks, that's the sort of size Murphy and Buddy were when I got them! So cute! :D

debs
06-20-2012, 02:20 AM
thank you i wasnt sure never seen a baby gerbil before.

Schofield
06-20-2012, 04:19 AM
She's very sweet. Gerbils don't have to be as young as 6 weeks for a successful introduction - they shouldn't really leave the parents until at least 8 weeks. At 6 weeks they are weaned and "can" do ok on their own, but it benefits them greatly to stay that extra two weeks. If a short introduction is to be done right back to the father Gerbil for instance then it can be done at 6 weeks. She does look teeny bless her.

debs
06-20-2012, 05:12 AM
Was thinking the same shes rather jumpy :/ so u think I should leave them in for two weeks then ? Yea I'm scared too pick her up just in case I break her as she's that small

Schofield
06-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Was thinking the same shes rather jumpy :/ so u think I should leave them in for two weeks then ? Yea I'm scared too pick her up just in case I break her as she's that small

As she's already separated from the parents there's not much you can do about that so it's up to you when you decide to put them in a split. I'd give her at least a week on her own for quarantine purposes just incase then do the split. She will benefit from the adult company :)

debs
06-20-2012, 03:44 PM
That's what am doing she manged too escape from the cage I put her in:/ I all so can't think of any name any ideas?would honey try and mother her?

racinghamster
06-21-2012, 02:37 AM
debs, also be aware that female adult gerbils are notoriously difficult to pair up, so a tank with a secure cage splitter in place for weeks or months would be the best way to go about this. You could just put them both in a tank set up and see how the adult reacts to the youngster. If she follows or chases the wee one around but doesn`t actually look as if she`s going for the attack, she may just be excited at the prospect of this new little intruder! BUT...and this is a big but....she could potentially attack her and you will have to be ready for this and any signs at all of aggression from the adult and the younger female should be removed swiftly. The baby could be seriously bitten if the adult takes offence at the intrusion. males are much easier to pair up. I did it once with a nine week old baby male and one of my mellow males. He fathered the little one almost imediately and I had no worries whatsoever because I knew Grub was such a sweetheart in nature. If your adult female is mellow and not a biter, she could accept this youngster, but you won`t know until you go ahead and a split tank in the long term is the best way to do that. It means they can see and smell one another without being able to injure. Some females pretend to get on for a week and then all hell can break loose and they need splitting again.

I really do hope intos work for you because the little black one is on it`s own now and she could find herself in the same situation of living alone now if intros don`t work. I hope that isn`t the case though. x