PDA

View Full Version : My Guinea Pig George

Hamsterlover19
06-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Along with my 2 Hamsters I have a 5 month old Guinea Pig called George he is so cheeky and cute, and love to be tickled.

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj496/dancegal3/421565_10150580013375678_673075677_9305926_6237076 34_n.jpg

The first photo i got of him from breeder, does not look like 3 months in this picture

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj496/dancegal3/002.jpg

gutterglitterxx
06-13-2012, 11:55 PM
*waves*

Hi George! What a handsome boy. :)

Bekki2308
06-14-2012, 01:31 AM
Hes gorgeous, are you getting him a friend at all?

Charley101
06-14-2012, 04:20 AM
Hi George :)

fluffymunchkins
06-14-2012, 07:28 AM
N'awww hes a gorgeous piggywig!
I love his name too :) x

Hamsterlover19
06-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Bekki I want to get him a friend, but had no luck so far as everytime i approach someone with a guinea pig as i cant rescue, they say you cant mix boys from different litters as they will fight, then i have people saying that once bonded they will fine.

So now dont know what to believe, I cant rescue one as there is not a rescue near me and am not having any luck with breeders as they are turning me away.

But George is a cutie and is very happy and content before anyone says anything, he is so handsome

Bekki2308
06-15-2012, 12:26 AM
Breeders & pet shops generally give out the worst advice ever re: guinea pigs.

I advise you to join theguineapigforum.com and post over there as you may be surprised at how many local rescues or even just people with lots of pigs who could help you , some people will take your pig for a week take him to a rescue let him pick a friend and then bring him back for you! Can you give me a country and county that you reside in at all?

In short you can mix boys from different litters, you can mix different breeds and you can mix different ages however its not as simple as throwing any two together and hoping for the best. Boys need to pick each other in a process called bonding so please do not just buy another boy and put them together. Once bonded boys can live together for life, my two boars are different sizes different ages and different breeds but cuddled up together and they really love each other. Guinea pigs actually need company and they thrive with it nothing beats a pair of pigs playing and grooming.

The other option is to neuter him wait 6 weeks and get a baby female :-)

my experience is limited at having only 5 pigs , a pair of boars and trio of sows but I have been non stop researching for a year on them and regularly partake in the guinea pig forum :-)

Hamsterlover19
06-15-2012, 11:02 PM
I would not nueter him, as can be risky and he way over 6 weeks, he is 6 months nearly.

I would go a rescue, but i dont drive and dont have one near me, so my only option is buy through a pet shop which dont really want to do, tried to get one through the same breeder i got george from but not allowded. I know once they are bonded they can live happily, as they are saying from different litters will fight but i have seen piggies from the same litter eventually fight and hate each other.
I am already on that forum and had some advice, but before people go and say he is all sad and lonely, he is not, he is very happy and bouncy and very cheeky. But will think about it

Bekki2308
06-16-2012, 12:08 AM
It is unfair to keep them alone as they are pack animals their behaviour changes in a pack.

You can neuter them at any age upto around 5 years depending on health and any risk is minimized by choosing a good vet those over on the forum can tell you off good vets in your area.

You don't have to be able to drive to get him a friend, some of the Guinea pig nuts could help you get him to a rescue, if you are down south there are loads of rescues if you're in the Scottish highlands then that's more tricky but therz are two rescues in Scotland. In the north of endland there are a few within two hours on public transport you should.be able to.find one in the UK.

Being littermates counts for nothing, boys have to pick each other to garuantre their bond. You cannot just put any two pigs together and expect them to get along that wont work. There is nonreason for a boar to live alone, the breeder should never have sold a single, Guinea pig pigs are generally idiots in it for money who don't care about their stock, which is why rescuing a pair is recommended.

There are very few Guinea Pigs who have to live alone and I could count them on my hand they only live alone during to being 8+ years and having health issues stopping them being neutered.

If you insist on keeping him alone, even though getting him a friend shouldn't be hard, unless you are pke 12 and can't travel alone then please make sure he hassle a Teddy and a large cage of 4ft minimum.

This is meant to sound rude or sharp but I've just woke up and typing on a phone screen is challenging without my glasses!

I love Guinea pigs :-) they are amazing creatures and I am going to be fostering for a rescue 1.5 hour drive away soon :-)

Hamsterlover19
06-16-2012, 02:06 AM
I will be getting him a friend in the next couple of months, not sure when yet. I was unsure before as i was being given a load of mixed information and was confusing as have never had guinea pigs before.

the only problem is george will not eat pellets and will refuse them, believe me i have tried to switch him over twice with no success, and i know a lot of other guinea pigs eat pellets, would not be able to afford 2 lots of guinea pig food.

I am unable to rescue one, as dont drive and my local rescue is in the middle of nowhere and not sure if they do boar dating,

Bekki2308
06-16-2012, 02:15 AM
You cant just get him a friend and expect them to get on, they will fight and you could could end up with a dead guinea pig. Please do not go to a breeder or a pet shop to get another one. Boars have to pick their own friends, hence the going to a rescue and letting them pick each other.

What pellets are you feeding? How much hay and veg does he get? How much in grams are you trying to get him to eat daily?

Where are you located, a town name will do or even a county if you dont want people knowing where you live, PM me if you want with the info, I am only trying to help you here I have said several times that people will help you out. Please never rule out rescuing as its the only option when getting a lone boar a friend. Boars sometimes have to meet several other boars to find one they like. If you let me know where you are I can tell you of rescues, see if anyone local can help with transport and let you know of the rescue names etc etc

Please do not rule out rescue with such a blanket statement.

Your cage needs to be 4ftx 2ft or larger otherwise a rescue will not let you have another boar. Smaller than 4ft x 2ft is too small for a single guinea pig anyway so id hope you have atleast that size. You say you are a member of the guinea pig forum so you should know all of this stuff anyway :-)

Please never get a pet without thorough research beforehand as you can end up in awkward situations :-=)