PDA

View Full Version : Basil

Basia
03-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Most of you will know that me and Basil didn't get off to the best of starts and after being bitten regularly I gave up handling him and just let him run into his ball instead.
So tonight I decided as Catja has tamed two adult petshop hamsters and Gus had tamed Harry its about time I stopped being such a wimp. I decided I was going to pick Basil up and forget it was Basil and just handle him as if he was one of the others - mind over Basil! I let him have a run in his ball and then let him come out on my lap and when he tried to run off my lap I just picked him up, firmly and telling myself 'it's not Basil, he won't bite' - and he didn't. I played with him for about 10 minutes picking him up regularly and he didn't bite me once.
I am now very ashamed of myself that I haven't taken Basil in hand sooner. Obviously he is not a biter really, I have just been a cowardly owner. :oops: (Or maybe he's just mellowed with age).

Spuds Mum
03-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Probably a little bit of both Gill, but well done for dealing with it!

It is hard when you have one of those 'harder to bond with/tame' hamsters, it really zaps your confidence and you know you are looking after them, and they are not losing out, so....you just leave it! I was the same when Princess bit me when she was little, but we eventually (with Arti nagging me) got through and she is so friendly now!

A big well done to you and Basil, it just goes to show, a reputation can be very undeserved :x :x

I_am_plankton
03-24-2008, 02:54 AM
Fantastic news, Gill! It goes to show hamsters can come around to the idea :) I am very pleased you have gotten over the initial obstacle with him!

Gust0o
03-24-2008, 05:43 AM
Yay, that's great news!

It's horses for courses, as to how quickly people - and hamsters - will adapt to taming, so I wouldn't worry yourself with any comparisons - just focus on a job well done, with more to come :)

Holly
03-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Oh that's brilliant news, Gill - I'm so pleased for you and Basil, bless him :D

souffle
03-24-2008, 08:28 AM
They do mellow with age and calm down Basia. It is great to hear that Basil is now enjoying his cuddles and you also are having fun with him. Well done :lol:

Basia
03-24-2008, 08:31 AM
I wonder if 16 months is the longest to tame a syrian ever?
I bought Basil in November 2006 and can finally handle him without getting bitten March 2008! :oops:

Spuds Mum
03-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Who says you can't teach an old hamster new tricks? :wink:

Leon
03-24-2008, 08:50 AM
That's great news, Basia. Your post struck a chord with me as I had a similar experience with Leon. He initially bit quite a lot and I would tend to put him in his ball more than handle him for the first few months, however recently he and I seem to be bonding well and he hasn't bit me in a while (touch wood!). It's a great feeling and I'm happy for you both :D

Jane
03-24-2008, 08:51 AM
That's great news! :D Well done :)

suga
03-24-2008, 10:07 AM
That's good news - I'm sure your both enjoying hammy and human time together now.

Gust0o
03-24-2008, 10:55 AM
I wonder if 16 months is the longest to tame a syrian ever?

I reckon Basil is sat in his cage, wondering if 16 months is the longest time to tame an owner ever! :x

I liked your "mind over Basil" comment - that's entirely how I go about taming, and I think it will stand you in very good stead in the future. All those worries, they're in your head! :)

I think this is an excellent excuse for pics ;)

Yaffle
03-24-2008, 12:48 PM
I think reading this post will spur me on to try with my Honey again. She's a really pretty girl but she's just so feisty and I'm ashamed to admit it, but after quite a few nasty bites I'm actually quite scared of her, ridiculous I know :oops:
I did try handling her last week and she was fine for a minute or two then she gave me one of the worst bites I've ever had, blood everywhere :shock:
She's a pet shop ham I've had her about 5-6 months now, I know it would really benefit her to have some cuddle time so I will try again.
As a side issue, does anyone think that some hamsters are beyond taming, or is that just what wimps like me tell ourselves?!

Spuds Mum
03-24-2008, 01:09 PM
I honestly believe that there arent many that cannot be tamed eventually, but also that confidence is key. Do you know Noo has taken on some hamsters to tame I think when they have been very difficult (mind you would you want to subject your Honey to Noo's taming techniques???? :shock: :shock: :lol: ) only joking - a Yaffle, Spuds Mum and Nooboo in joke after Noo spent time at a previous show manhandling my lovely Tabasco.

I was wondering about this Claire after the nibbles you got at Topcliffe - do you maybe use a handcream that would be enticing to hams? Might be an idea to always use the bacterial gel before if you smell 'good enough to eat'!

With our more difficult to tame girls (its always girls for us!) we usually keep them in a tub, which makes it easier to scoop them up, and to put your hand in for them to get used to smells etc. without a house, so they have to get used to direct and indirect contact and cant easily hide away from us when we are talking to them etc.

If you are still very nervous about handling Honey, then you could always bring her to Brockholes and we will take her back for some taming? Not having a history with her we wont have the same level of apprehension when approaching her Im sure, then we could bring her back to the next show.

But I think you should keep at it yourself if you can, the sense of achievement when you both make friends once and for all will be huge, as Gill proved on this thread!

:D

Mollz
03-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Well done Gill, you must be over the moon. I hope you and Basil share many lovely play times now - and ones that you can both enjoy.
Claire: I do hope Honey begins to tame a bit more. At least this story does show that you should never give in. Good luck!

Yaffle
03-24-2008, 01:41 PM
you might have a point there about my hands tasting nice because little Topaz had a nibble a couple of times at Topcliffe as did Mojito but they never once went for Arti, I'll have to remember to wash them before I handle new hams. Mojito has settled down nicely now by the way.

Gust0o
03-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Al has a strawberry handcream, which induces licking and the odd nibble - could be the same?

I try and dunk my hands in their sawdust before handling - at the worst, I smell like their bed! :)

Spuds Mum
03-24-2008, 04:59 PM
No not at the worst - at the worst you smell like their loo! :shock:

But I think I am a little bit right with you smelling edible Claire, Topaz hasn't made the slightest move to nibble at anyone else! :oops:

I ran out of my usual bodywash a couple of weeks ago, and so used one of the girls. It was a chocolate bodywash (darn waste of good chocolate in my eyes) but the hamsters were sniffing me like crazy after! they must have thought Easter had come even earlier for them!

Bourne Valley Hams
03-25-2008, 02:12 AM
I firmly beleive that hamsters can sense fear! If you are scared that you will get bitten then it is more likely to happen.
Easier said than done but you need to be confident and firm. We get in a lot of rescues with 'problems', and sometimes have hamsters come on rehabilitation holidays, and the only ones we have really failed with have been Campbells! All Syrians have been tameable eventually. I do, however, have a secret weapon - Mark's leather-like builders hands!! He generally can't feel it if they try and bite anyway!

Gust0o
03-25-2008, 04:19 AM
I firmly beleive that hamsters can sense fear! If you are scared that you will get bitten then it is more likely to happen.

Am in total agreement!

If you're lacking in confidence, or afraid of the animal, this will show in your actions - from my own experience nervous handling of the animal will only serve to make it more nervous.

That's why I joked about Basil doing the taming! :x

Basia
03-25-2008, 06:23 AM
I agree, I think all animals can sense fear or nervousness. It is not always easy to not be nervous though.
I do have a healthy respect for hamsters and I think it goes back to being badly bitten as a child. They (and mice) are probably the only animals that make me nervous. People would seek me out to box their horses at shows, I have worked with nervous, supposedly vicious dogs in the past and will happily pick up any rabbit or guinea pig, regardless of reputation.
I am much more confident handling hamsters now I have so many and in my defence Basil was the first hamster I had owned for about 12/13 years and he did bite me hard, every time I picked him up - even through gloves. I tried all the handling tips on here and other forums to no avail and none of my family were prepared to hold him. I was afraid of him I admit and that is probably why he carried on biting me. I still think he has mellowed with age but I am glad that I can play with him at last.

Yaffle
03-25-2008, 06:42 AM
I definately agree with everything you've all said.

a) I need to stop smelling so good :lol:

b) I need to stop being a wimp :oops:

I'll put my plan into action tonight with Honey and let you know how I get on!

Jane
03-25-2008, 08:23 AM
Before I pick Charlie up I usually rub my hands in his bedding a little just incase I smell a bit yummy :lol:

Catja
03-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi Gill just caught this thread, brilliant news on the Basil front :lol: