PDA

View Full Version : should i take her house away

Matty Day
03-20-2008, 01:34 PM
my athena is now massive and heavily pregnant she currently has a house with a small door an window should i now take it away :?:

souffle
03-20-2008, 01:39 PM
I would take it out Matty. Even if the babies fit in when they are small they soon grow and then don't fit in and it gets hot and steamy inside. A large card box with the whole of one end cut out can give privacy or even a large pile of bedding in one corner. Do it soon though as you do not want to stress her when birth is imminent. Good luck Athena.

Matty Day
03-20-2008, 02:02 PM
ive done it she wasnt happy but she settled down after quickly i just put her bedding in the box thougth she is now building a new nest against the side i might be able to see the pups when they are born as she is right up against the glass
and i gave her a nice peace of cheese as an apology which she realy enjoyed

agatecrystal
03-21-2008, 06:22 AM
It is best to take the house away. It will give the babies more room and make it easier for them to move around without having to climb in and out of a house. It also allows you easier access to glance and make sure everything is ok.

Matty Day
03-21-2008, 02:07 PM
I have taken away the box today as she has built a nice nest under it :x

I am not even going to attempt to look just going to keep my ears open although Athena is a very people loving hamster and loves nothing more than to cuddle up in a fluffy fleece I am just to nervous this is my first litter after all
though I will handle and play with the pups and mum when there are two and a half weeks old and have been moved back into my room