PDA

View Full Version : Breeding for the first time.

browner93
03-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Hey
when i have a hamster but she is 2yrs and a few months old some thing like 3months when she dies i was thinking about getting pair and breeding them.
i was thinking of buying a male and female (duh lol)
and when oldenuf or if they are breeding i would like to know how do i do it do i put them in together for 10 mins or a few days when she is pregnant should she go on to a plastic Cage woth no bars would i need 2 take out her wheel and the basics
i need to no.
or i might get some for my birthday even if she has not died

so really what i want is for you all to tell me the easy way lol what i would need to do.

Thanks
Josh

Spuds Mum
03-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi Josh,

I think that doing something as important as creating a new life (or more than 20 of them) is a thing to not go into without fully considering everything, so I am glad you are asking questions about the possibility before actually doing this, however, you really need to fully understand what you are taking on, and why you think it would be a good idea, before going any further. I would suggest reading a proper care book that includes in depth information about breeding, and, as another step, researching about this on the internet.

Have a look at this HC sticky about breeding which tells you just some of the things you need to consider. http://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=415

I wouldn't want you to breed without fully understanding the possible problems and either ending up with a houseful of hamsters you cannot re-home or ending up without your much loved Mummy hamster because the pregnancy has gone wrong!

browner93
03-16-2008, 04:18 PM
i have just read that i do know people who mite be intrested in them i will make sure that the homes they go to are good ones i do have the money and time to keep 20 odd hamsters and babies i ahve bred guinea pigs but thats difrent and with guinea pigs i did exsperience still born babies
i am up to putting evry thing it needs and i am not going to breed for the fun of it just beacuse i like the look of baby hamsters i would be perperd if i went in and found a load sof babys and a dead mum.
so i think i could do it:D

Josh

souffle
03-16-2008, 04:44 PM
I am glad to hear you are researching this fully Josh. It is a big undertaking and you need the support of your family and permission if you still live with your parents. Mating hamsters is not just a case of putting them together for 10minutes. You need to be aware of the females cycles as if put together at the wrong time they can kill each other or fight viciously. You also need to know the genetic history as you do not want to breed together two incompatible hammies who might have disabled babies. Go to your local library and get books, Learn everything you can, read on the web then get two quality animal from a reputable source. Then accept the guidance of an experienced breeder before you embark. You also need a good amount of savings in case there is need for vet care for mum and babies and you will also need several cages to separate girls and boys at 4wks. Syrians need individual cages from 8 weeks if you do not have homes for them by then.
Instead of breeding you could always consider a rescue hammie which is a wonderful thing to do, offering a second chance to a little one in need. :lol:

browner93
03-16-2008, 05:06 PM
i was thinking of gettin hammies from a breeder near me if their is any?
i go to the rescue center probaly evry 2 weeks and i always ask what small fluffys do they have but seem to never get in hamsters any more! weird but probs ill soon

i am reading lots of web pages about breeding do all my reserch.
i will beable to seperate mum and babys ad 4 week and also seerate at 8 week if they do not have homes.

i tihnk i no a few people who would love a hammie but iff not i will be keeping them untill i can gte the right home for them!

Josh

Matty Day
03-17-2008, 12:23 AM
there is a hamster show in north somerseton may the 5th were you could get some good quality breeding hamsters :x

Bourne Valley Hams
03-17-2008, 02:26 AM
there is a hamster show in north somerseton may the 5th were you could get some good quality breeding hamsters :x

There will be no sales at this show Matty - the North Somerset Show organisers don't permit them.