PDA

View Full Version : Country File - Horses

Van Diemen
05-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Anyone watching Country File?

Just seen a report about how horses can be bought for as little as 5 pounds, so 13 year old kids can just go out and buy one and plonk it in their back yard.

I'm from Australia and there the cheapest you'll buy a horse for is around $800 so like 400 pounds. A child certainly couldn't just buy one even if they did have they money. The sellers do checks to make sure people know what they are doing and are capable of looking after it.
Like when I bought Teddy I had to fill out a questionnaire at P@H and answer a bunch of questions before I could have him.

Why doesn't this go for horses too?

Would love to hear peoples opinions!

I am just dumbfounded by the entire thing.

NotsoLittleOlive
05-13-2012, 11:36 AM
I haven't seen it, but my mum told me about it. A council estate in Middlesborough, right?
I think it's a very odd situation that has only occured there - it's probably a few local people breeding and selling them. Hence the price and the unusual living conditions.

Van Diemen
05-13-2012, 11:53 AM
It seemed to be all over. Apparently the RSPCA currently have over 600 horses in their care, which is more than double what they had last year.

I'm just like - wow. At the whole thing. It amazes me that kids go out and buy the horses and their parents actually let them keep them in the back yard and such. Mind blowing stuff to me.

racinghamster
05-16-2012, 09:35 AM
I saw the programme and it`s a rediculous and sad situation for these horses and ponies. They are being treated as though they are in a third world country and I can`t for the life of me understand why the people on those estates can even afford to feed and shoe a pony never mind care for it properly. I was quite angry watching it. I used to ride in my younger days and my friend still has horses (kept in the right way on a private yard) and why anyone gets away with buying a tiny pony and then letting kids run it up and down an estate is sicking.

I hope something within the law is done to end this practice and quickly.

Charley101
05-17-2012, 05:57 AM
I never saw it. £5 for a horse? How ridiculous!

StarlightSerenity
05-17-2012, 06:58 AM
I've seen something similar, where someone who owned a rescue would go to these markets where ponies would be sold for pennies just to get rid of them, he would buy as many as he had space for. Not the best thing to do long term but does help those ponies in need at the time.

Charley101
05-17-2012, 07:11 AM
Sounds like something i would do if i ever had the opportunity

Van Diemen
05-17-2012, 09:07 AM
I wish I still lived on a farm - i'd buy them all lol

Lougarry
05-17-2012, 09:29 AM
I can`t for the life of me understand why the people on those estates can even afford to feed and shoe a pony never mind care for it properly.

I don't suppose they are shod (or have their feet trimmed) or wormed. This kind of thing makes me really furious as horses have done so much for us as a species and should be respected and cherished.

(I once had a terrible nightmare in which I bought a horse from a riding school that was closing down, kept it in my garage and it died. It was so vivid that it's haunted me for years.)

racinghamster
05-17-2012, 10:07 AM
That`s true Lougarry. If they knew what a farrier charged for a set of shoes or a hoof trimming they they would probably spend the money on a new mobile phone instead. Many of these people have no regard for the horses welfare and only see them as `accessories`. I can`t believe this is happening in the UK or even being tollerated by the councils and police who see it going on. When the Countryfile cameras turned up to film some of the horses on the heath last Sunday, word got out and before too long, a while van with two men turned up (gypsies) who were none too pleased. It`s a typical scenario and it`s the rescue centres that pick up the pieces and spend fortunes caring for these animals, yet the people who supposedly `own` them don`t pass on anything towards their care or treament.

I`ve also seen the programms where little poorly ponies are sold to the meat men or anyone willing to pay a few pounds. These animals are bred and kept until they are skin and bone sometimes and the owners should be chased and made to face the music for the suffering they cause.