PDA

View Full Version : Need Baking Help

StarlightSerenity
05-12-2012, 01:06 PM
I have two questions for you :p

First off, how on earth do people get their cookies to stay in a remotely round shape? Mine always go really flat, really wide and end up burning around the edges and not cooking in the middle :(

Also, does anyone know of an alternative to condensed milk? Was flicking through a baking book and found a recipe for chocolate caramel shortbread but it needs condensed milk, which I don't have. I found this http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,183,151170-244199,00.html but it doesn't look right... Eggs? Huh?

SnickersTheFirst
05-12-2012, 01:25 PM
I've always wondered that about the cookies! Probably a silly thought but is it possible to buy some sort of round 'mould' that goes round the edge to hold them in shape...if you get what I mean? I don't even know if something like that exists!

Gizmodo ^_^
05-12-2012, 01:26 PM
I would love to know how to keep Cookies in a good shape too!, the ones me and my friend tested in food went so flat :(

souffle
05-12-2012, 01:27 PM
I don't know but I would just make them bigger so there is less to burn LOL!
I'm sure they are yummy regardless. Maybe turn them halfway through cooking so the edges are in different positions relative to the heater elements?
Not sure about the condensed milk as I use this for toffee filling.
I have a great recipe for a rice crispie bar if you PM if you want it :)

GemmasMom
05-12-2012, 01:35 PM
You can lightly roll the cookies into balls to keep them round :) That's what we do! If they are burning around the edges, I would turn down the temp. of the oven and cook for longer.

Gamina
05-12-2012, 01:38 PM
To make perfectly round cookies scoop up your dough with an icecream scoop to ensure every one is a uniform shape then when they spread they will spread evenly. One of these baking scoops

http://www.kuhnrikon.co.uk/co-uk/en/products/cooks_tools/utensils/baking_and_ice_cream_scoops/mainColumnParagraphs/0/productImages/06/thumbnail/22436.jpg
so they end up like this
http://www.littleshortcake.com/uploads/6/0/1/2/6012232/5748785_orig.jpg
should give the desired effect and even cooking.

Gamina
05-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Also in terms of them cooking correctly people will tend to take cookies out to late, they should still have a little give in the middle as this will solidify as they cool and give that chewy finish.

If you are making caramel shortbread condensed milk is the best way to go, I have no idea if the egg combo would work. You can make your own condensed milk as well instead of the canned stuff but its a lengthy process.

Mona's Humans
05-12-2012, 02:06 PM
i'd echo the balls for cookies, and taking them out a little early, i've seem people bake them in the muffin tins, but it doesn't go so well to be honest.

No idea on the condensed milk substitute, sorry :(

xJasperx
05-12-2012, 03:00 PM
I read this as i need 'banking' help so I was thoroughly confused reading about cookies lol
I'm not overly experienced with cookies I much prefer cakes & cupcakes because I find them so much easier but in my experience whatever the length of time the recipe says I always take them out early when their doughy in the middle because I find their too hard & burn otherwise.

StarlightSerenity
05-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Glad I'm not the only one with a cookie problem >.< I'm going to be giving the ice cream scoop idea a go in a moment, I'll post when they're done!

StarlightSerenity
05-12-2012, 03:36 PM
It worked!! Sooo pleased with them :D Got a second batch in the oven now. Thank you so much :D

Would love the rice crispie bar recipe Souffle :D

Gamina
05-13-2012, 01:19 AM
Glad it worked :) I think we deserve samples!!!

Mona's Humans
05-13-2012, 01:33 AM
glad it worked :)

suga
05-13-2012, 01:36 AM
It worked!! Sooo pleased with them :D Got a second batch in the oven now. Thank you so much :D

Would love the rice crispie bar recipe Souffle :D

I'd quite like one of your home made cookies :)

Lougarry
05-13-2012, 02:42 AM
Me too. My mouth was watering reading this thread last night :)