PDA

View Full Version : Depressed Gerbil Help?

HamstersOfHell
05-05-2012, 06:10 AM
I was wondering if any current or previous gerbil owners on here could give e some advice.
5th November last year I went to a certain big green pet shop and adopted a hamster, but also came back with a 'male' gerbil (3 months old) that had been there for quite a while, my mother felt sorry for the little thing and it didn't look in the best of health.
The now female gerbil lives in a nice big tank, plenty of room to dig, deep substrate, a sandy area, loads of cardboard and wooden toys to play with and chew, which she loves, but lately she just seems really depressed. Usually when I opened her tank she would come straight too me and I would be able to handle her (with gardening gloves). She doesn't do this anymore though. When she is awake she sits by one of her burrows staring around, and if I come in the room or there is a sounds in the room she disappears straight away.
She doesn't seem to be very happy, and I miss being able to take her out and handle her since she was doing so well. She doesn't even seem to like her toys anymore, just the odd chew of cardboard which would usually be demolished within seconds.

Advice, anyone?

Mona's Humans
05-05-2012, 06:49 AM
My Gerbil was depressed when its mate died, but i know nothing of gerbil introductions or if this would even work.... its the only thing i can think of though, that maybe she's lonely :(

Sorry i can't be much help.

HamstersOfHell
05-05-2012, 08:27 AM
I feel really guilty that she's living on her own, don't know what to do though.

SnickersTheFirst
05-05-2012, 08:58 AM
How big is the tank? If you could get your hands on two 6 week old females the chances of an intro going well are quite high. :)

HamstersOfHell
05-05-2012, 09:29 AM
I haven't actually measured the tank, but it is pretty good. I'm guessing if the plan was to get her a cage mate, getting two more would mean if it didn't work out that the two could live together?

SnickersTheFirst
05-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Yep, usually you intro two youngsters for the reason you mentioned and the fact that your gerbil is slightly older so is 'more likely' to pass first, leaving the two youngsters with each other for company. :)

Charley101
05-05-2012, 10:38 AM
I would advise against housing a trio of females to be honest. They are a lot more dominant and territorial then males and are likely to pick on the third one if two of them have more of a bond (most likely will be the two pups who will gang up on the older female). I have had 3 females before and had the exact same problem. Maybe if it were males, it wouldnt be less of an issure, but females can be risky at times.

Could you try to find a lone female pup and try and introduce? If that wasn't an option you could try and find a lone female adult and have a permenant split tank with a mesh/perspex divide? That way they can see/smell/hear/talk to one another without the worry of potential fighting?

Your best bet might be to ask on a gerbil forum. I am registered to egerbil (sorry if im not allowed to name!) and it is pretty good and the members are friendly.

HamstersOfHell
05-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Thank you everyone for all of the advice so far, it's a lot to think about. I'll see how she goes, I'd love for her to have a cage mate but it is a risk and I'd have to get another tank if it didn't work out.

SnickersTheFirst
05-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Surely you're better off having a trio and it not working out? Then you will have one lone gerbil and a pair. Instead of the intro of two failing and ending up with two lone gerbils?

Anyway, it's only a thought. :D

Charley101
05-05-2012, 10:44 AM
If you're tank is big enough a permanent split tank wouldn't be a problem but obviously it is up to you :) Is she friendly? She may be okay if she gets plenty of 'human cuddles' and play time and you may find you might not need to get another female

Charley101
05-05-2012, 10:45 AM
That's why i suggested a female who is already alone snickers :D and to be honest with a trio you are more then likely going to have to seperate in the future and would need to consider the expense of a new tank etc. if you had a split tank, they would still get the interaction but wouldnt be able to fight

I'm not an expert though lol just going by my personal experiences

HamstersOfHell
05-05-2012, 10:54 AM
She did get a lot of cuddles from me, but she doesn't want to come out anymore, more of that explained in my first post. She was getting along great with handling before she started not wanting to come out and seeming quite depressed.