PDA

View Full Version : Trufflets have arrived! *Pictures*

Basia
03-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Started new thread because I wasn't going to post the arrival of my babies on page 13 of the mating diary after the week I've had.
Got home from work and Truffle had built a huge volcanic shaped nest and I have seen no sign of her all evening. I decided to put some porridge and treats in for her and she left the nest open while she came to investigate so I got a peep of a nest full of babies. The ones I saw (briefly) are all pale like creams. :D

Mollz
03-12-2008, 01:05 PM
YAY!

Congratulations to you, Truffle and all other parties involved.
Sorry that you have had a bad week, hopefully this will brighten things up a bit. Did it look like there were a lot or just a few?

Basia
03-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Hard to tell Molz, looked like quite a lot though.

Holly
03-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Congratulations, Gill - brilliant news.

Nothing from Smarts yet- she's fighting it :?

Basia
03-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Congratulations, Gill - brilliant news.

Nothing from Smarts yet- she's fighting it :?

I'm sure they will arrive this evening/night Julie. :D
I did expect Truffle to deliver early because she was just so huge I was expecting a large litter, so not surprised they are here already. Its all so quiet I wouldn't know they were there if she hadn't left the nest open though.

Yaffle
03-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Congrats Basia and Truffle, really pleased for you! Can't wait to hear more :)

Spuds Mum
03-12-2008, 01:19 PM
ahhh babbalous! :D hope mother and pups are doing well - I know you have had a hard week, but at least Truffle has delivered safely and hopefully you will have something exciting to keep you going for the next few weeks!

congratulations on the Trufflets - and glad to hear there are lots - 2 syrians down - 1 to go! :x

Matty Day
03-12-2008, 01:29 PM
good luck im realy looking foward to my own litter arrving know as i have have had a good sign on athena i think she was just being funny last night

souffle
03-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Congratulations on the safe arrival Basia and Truffle. There is nothing like the patter of little paws to bring some sunshine into you life. Looking forward to hearing all about them as they grwo and they sure do deserve their own thread :lol: :lol:

Catja
03-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Congrats to all, look forward to hearing more :lol:

I_am_plankton
03-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Congratulations to Truffle and Gill!!!!!! I can't wait to hear more :D

Basia
03-14-2008, 04:32 AM
Well, I've just tempted Truffle off her nest with some tasty treats and had a quick peek. She is settling down a bit now having been very nervous and worried about her brood. Strange I didn't breed Berry and she didn't have a care in the world, Truffle is one of my own girls and is convinced that I may steal her babies when she isn't looking!
Anyway, the babies are smaller than my last litter, I suspect they were a large litter but there doesn't seem to be quite so many there now. I counted 10 though I am sure there are probably more.
They look contented, waving their paws at me. I can see more dark ones now so a mix of sable and cream I guess.
So far so good. :D

Yaffle
03-14-2008, 06:40 AM
Good news that Truffle is settling down, it seems like a nice and healthy sized litter. I know from my experience with Yeti though that I wouldn't try counting exact numbers at this stage, that way it won't be too upsetting if numbers start to drop! I became obsessed trying to count the little wrigglers and was really distressed when I didn't count as many as last time! It sounds like she's doing a good job though and being a good attentive mummy! :D

Mollz
03-14-2008, 07:12 AM
It sounds as if everything is going well, and I'm sure Truffle will continue to be a great mum.
10 sounds a good number, and I'm sorry to hear that you think you might have lost some. As Yaffle says though, maybe it is best not to count at this stage (although I'm sure I would be very tempted too).

Sounds like there will be a nice mix of the two colours, do you have a specific colour that you are wanting to keep from the litter?

This is very exciting and I can't wait until they have their eyes open, so that we can see the little beauties for ourselves :D

Basia
03-14-2008, 07:40 AM
I never really count on having a litter at all until they are out of the nest and pretty much weaned. I learnt the hard way many years ago with my rabbits that pinkies in the nest is just the fist step. I can't resist a bit of a count of the ones I can see though, and I think it is fair to say there are usually a lot more than you can count at this stage. I think it is a large litter and either Truffle has culled some or they are hidden below the nest. Either way I trust Truffle to decide what is best.
What I was really hoping for is a nice satin cream but I am more than happy to settle for whatever I get. :D

Holly
03-14-2008, 09:15 AM
I can't resist a bit of a count of the ones I can see though, and I think it is fair to say there are usually a lot more than you can count at this stage.

Exactly - I never counted more than 8 with Caramel until they came out of the nest - and there were eleven :shock:

Souffle warned me about the "hiders" so I should have known!

I'm glad they are doing well, Gill - well done Truffle, sounds like you are an attentive mummy :wink:

Spuds Mum
03-14-2008, 10:02 AM
ahhh Gilll, Truffle sounds like she is doing really well.

I can never resist a peek either, and just like Truffle, Bronte is a little nervous about me too, though she never was before!

Cant wait to hear more! :x

agatecrystal
03-16-2008, 10:19 AM
congrats on the litter... I wouldnt be able to resist a little peek too! Im trying to mate my girl at the moment but she wasnt very receptive last nyt so will try her again tnyt. remember to post piccies when all their eyes are properly open!

souffle
03-16-2008, 01:32 PM
We never count them ever. What you don't know you don't worry about :lol: Its nice when they do come out all healthy and toddlng about. Mother always knows best. We thought Barley had about 3 till 10 trotted out. If you think you have ten you can usually add on an extra 3 or so!

Basia
03-17-2008, 01:39 AM
Well I think there are 9 now. Truffle is getting a lot more relaxed about the whole motherhood thing. When I put her treats in the cage she abandons the babies and leaves the nest wide open so I can have a look through the top of the gabber. There are 4 dark ones and 5 light ones all of a similar size and they look quite content.
One thing that does worry me is that Truffle doesn't seem to drink. I keep checking her bottle but it is working, she just isn't drinking much. She is having a lot of milky porridge and such like so I guess she must be getting her fluids there. The babies are growing so she must be feeding them ok, although we have obviously lost quite a few since they were born.

Holly
03-17-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm sure she's getting what she needs from the milky foods, Gill - I remember Caramel drinking more but not really excessive amounts.

I'm so glad they are doing ok and looking forward to piccies :wink:

Spuds Mum
03-18-2008, 02:26 PM
How are the Trufflets doing Gill? I guess they are a week tomorrow, so will already be growing and the fur on the darker ones is probably becoming noticeable.

Is Truffle looking okay? How is her eating and drinking going now?

Enquiring minds need to know.....
ooo just got a sense of deja vu!! :wink: Have we been here before somewhere? :D

Basia
03-18-2008, 02:29 PM
They are getting their fur now. There are 5 cream ones and 4 dark but 2 are more gingery and 2 are much darker. :?
Truffle is very possessive though, sometimes she doesn't mind me having a look and other times she goes back in and covers them up!

Spuds Mum
03-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Its good that Truffle is being an overprotective Mummy isnt it Gill, or maybe its just that she wants to do a grand unveiling of her babies in a few days time, and doesn't want you sneaking a peek like a child with their christmas pressies!

You dont think you have some minks in there do you Gill? Are there likely to be any recessive p genes around anywhere in both? I know it will be possible with Balou, but is Truffle likely to have any?
Mind you, in the early days, thinking about it, minks dont look very dark, and would be more likely mistaken for creams. hmmm interesting - cant wait until you post pics, either here or elsewhere! Keep me informed :D

Basia
03-18-2008, 03:09 PM
I wondered about minks too but I think it is more likely that the darker ones could be satin. I seem to remember something similar with the 3 sables I had last time.
Chunky had a mink brother so there are some mink genes in the mix but Balou is BEC right back 5 generations and Truffle's mum Berry was all BEC and cream-roan so it is far more likely to be creams and sables.
I would like a mink though.
Strange I was comparing in my mind to peeking at Christmas presents before time too. :D
Have had a good peek just now because Truffle wanted to come out for a cuddle and a run around for a few minutes so stole my chance!

Mollz
03-18-2008, 03:19 PM
It sounds like everything is going well then Gill. Do baby sables sometimes look lighter/gingery when they are little then - if they do then I suppose the others could be satins. I would steal every chance to have a peek that I could!

Keep us updated :D

Basia
03-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Well it's a bit like '10 in a bed and the little one said, roll over' my gingery runty has disappeared overnight and there are now 8. :cry: He definitely wasn't a sable, he was ginger with white undies.
The ones which are left are all satins and every one that rolls on its back is a male. I have only seen one cream female so far. So now we have 3 sables and 5 creams.

Spuds Mum
03-23-2008, 03:07 PM
oh poor little guy! :( so sorry to hear this, if force of will were enough to keep them going I am sure we would both never lose a pup!

I have handled some of the pups tonight and nearly every one I held was male! I know we have girls as before they were all tummy-furred the nipples were very visible. It was hard today though as I just did a scoop so didnt hold each one, as they are all golden I could have not handled about 5 babies, it could have been the same one 5 times! :oops:

Im going to do a clean out tomorrow (it needs it) and will do a cuddle with each then.

are all 8 satins Gill? or all the sables? if it is all, that is amazing isnt it? :shock:

Basia
03-23-2008, 03:15 PM
All 8 of them are satin. :shock:
I wanted a satin cream so I will have the choice of 5 now!
I guess it confirms without doubt that Truffle is a satin. :oops:

Strange you have a lot of males too. When Julie and I had the Carapaws and Berry's litter we had mainly females. :?

Spuds Mum
03-23-2008, 03:19 PM
ROFL - yup I guess she is satin after all! :x
Nice that you have a choice of satin creams, I'm sure you will find a beautiful satin who will have the beauty and personality not only of Truffle and Balou, but also of your gorgeous little Peaches, who I know you still miss, and will fill your heart in just the same way both Berry and Peaches did :cry: *hugs*

Sorry - didnt mean it to be a sad post, but I know you still think of them x

I_am_plankton
03-23-2008, 03:27 PM
That is a shame Gill that you think you lost one, but it does sound as if you have plenty of others to choose from :)

Have you got homes for them all?

Basia
03-23-2008, 03:32 PM
ROFL - yup I guess she is satin after all! :x
Embarrassing - I look at her now and think 'how could I not realise she's satin'. Duh!

Nice that you have a choice of satin creams, I'm sure you will find a beautiful satin who will have the beauty and personality not only of Truffle and Balou, but also of your gorgeous little Peaches, who I know you still miss, and will fill your heart in just the same way both Berry and Peaches did :cry: *hugs*
I want one with Truffle's type and Balou's colour! Not asking much am I?
I do miss Berry and Peaches, they will always have a corner of my heart and it will be lovely to have a satin cream again to remind me of them, the colour for Peaches and the bloodlines for Berry.

Spuds Mum
03-23-2008, 03:37 PM

Hope it works out that way Gill - we have a case of sod's law at the moment, the ones with the nice dark markings don't have the really good type and size of the paler ones! :roll: There is one with an absolutely beautiful broad head, and she is the lightest of the lot!
Hope you have better luck :D

Basia
03-23-2008, 03:52 PM

Hope it works out that way Gill - we have a case of sod's law at the moment, the ones with the nice dark markings don't have the really good type and size of the paler ones! :roll: There is one with an absolutely beautiful broad head, and she is the lightest of the lot!
Hope you have better luck :D

That is just typical isn't it!

That is a shame Gill that you think you lost one, but it does sound as if you have plenty of others to choose from

Have you got homes for them all?

Sorry Leanne, I think I was posting at the same time as you.
Well I am not good at finding homes in advance - I have one home so far. :oops:

Basia
03-24-2008, 05:22 AM
Babies are escaping the nest today, poor Truffle is running herself ragged putting them back. :P
It looks as though there may be one 'normal' sable in there and all the rest are satin. Not absolutely sure that sable isn't a satin too.
I should think their eyes will be opening in the next day or two so will be able to post some photos. :D

Spuds Mum
03-24-2008, 07:43 AM
aww poor Truffle, she needs to get a 'toddler taming' book! :wink:
Glad to hear they all seem to be doing well and have lots of energy! Can't wait to see some photos, not long to wait now! :D

Mollz
03-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Poor Truffle must be exhausted gathering up all of those naughty babies, but at least it shows they are healthy.
I'm counting the days until their eyes are open and we can see the little darlings!

Yaffle
03-24-2008, 12:33 PM
I can't wait to see pics too! It's great watching them at this age, it's so funny watchin them make a mad dash from the nest! I remember Yeti practically throwing the pups back into the nest, was quite alarmed at first, but they didn't seem bothered by it :D

Catja
03-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Well I am not good at finding homes in advance - I have one home so far. :oops:

Hope Gill won't mind me saying that I think that home is me! :lol:

We can't wait and are very excited about it, already buying toys and wheels etc for my trufflet :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spuds Mum
03-24-2008, 01:10 PM
ahh lucky girl Catja, and lucky hamster too. :lol: :lol:

Yaffle
03-26-2008, 06:33 AM
Have you taken any pics yet Basia? I'm dying to see the cuties!

Basia
03-26-2008, 06:43 AM
Still waiting for them to open their eyes. :roll:

Mollz
03-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Still waiting for them to open their eyes. :roll:

I'm sure they will do at some point.

We're all dying to see them though, so tell them to get a move on :D lol

Basia
03-26-2008, 11:06 AM
We're all dying to see them though, so tell them to get a move on :D lol

lol I'll tell them Molz.
They are starting to open I'm sure they won't be long now and then I can post a piccie for you all.
I've seen a couple of creams in there which may well be staying here. :wink:

Spuds Mum
03-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Jeepers Creepers - have they opened their peepers?

Can't wait to meet the trufflets :D and I know they are now over two weeks old *stands straight tapping watch to tell them to get a move on*

Basia
03-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Well they all have their eyes open now and Truffle has given up trying to keep them in the nest so I hope it is alright to post these pictures. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/gdb234/27308007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/gdb234/27308015.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/gdb234/27308016.jpg

pophammy
03-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Awwwwww! They are gorgeous!!! :D :P :D

souffle
03-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Oh Basia they are just stunningly gorgeously cute. Are they all satin and LH? I luuuuv the scratchy sable pup. Keep the pics coming :lol:

Spuds Mum
03-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Oh my gosh - they are just luverrly! The sable certainly does seem to be a satin, without any doubt as with its Mum! :D

It is so hard to believe how quickly they grow, when I think that just four days ago thats what mine were like! (Mind you Meerkat looks a lot smaller than your still hee hee)

I can't believe they all appear to be satin - and already looking so so lustrous too! I wonder how many boys and girls you have? Have you had any cuddles yet??
:D

Basia
03-27-2008, 01:51 PM
I picked 3 up tonight while Truffle was having some rest and recreation free-running around the hamster room. They do all seem to be satin, although one sable may not be. I have seen one definite girl and quite a lot which seem to be boys but haven't checked them properly yet. There are 5 cream and 3 sable.

Matty Day
03-27-2008, 01:51 PM
i would love a satin cream im difftently getting one in sptember :x

Mollz
03-27-2008, 02:10 PM
Oh Gill, they are absolutely gorgeous! It was well worth the wait for pictures :D

How strange that they all/most of them look satin, although I do love satins so it's not a bad thing in my opinion!

Can't wait to see these little ones growing up :)

Jane
03-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Awww they're so cute :lol:

Gust0o
03-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Very cute Gill! :)

I_am_plankton
03-27-2008, 03:23 PM
They are lovely!!! I must resist :D

Catja
03-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Aren't they gorgeous :lol: The satin is really obvious on the creams especially isn't it.

We have our fingers crossed for one of the sables, I just love their spectacles :lol: :lol:

souffle
03-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Would you like a boy or a girl Catya? It will be hard to choose. :lol: :lol:

Catja
03-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Would you like a boy or a girl Catya? It will be hard to choose. :lol: :lol:

Plan was for a LH male, the fact some of the sables may be satin is brilliant :lol:

cloptonite
03-28-2008, 01:21 AM
They are really cute!!
I especially like the little sable :)

Holly
03-28-2008, 02:16 AM
Oh my goodness they are sooooooo cute :wink:

I love them :wink:

Some of your Creams ears look really pink - I know it's unlikely, given the parents' genetics but are you sure you haven't got REC Satin in there? :P

*Am now so hamster broody it's untrue - one week today and tomorrow if I'm lucky*

Basia
03-28-2008, 03:10 AM
Some of your Creams ears look really pink - I know it's unlikely, given the parents' genetics but are you sure you haven't got REC Satin in there? :P

They are going grey by the minute. I remember thinking the same thing with Pudding and she is BEC. Having said that I had the strange coloured runt which was like a pale gingery colour with white belly...
I don't actually know that much about Chunky. I only originally had details of his parents and Jean gave me g/parents and gg/parents on his father's side but I don't know anything about his mum's side.

*Am now so hamster broody it's untrue - one week today and tomorrow if I'm lucky*

I know, I did think about you when I posted the pictures. It would have been really nice if they both had their babies the same day as planned....
Hopefully I will be drooling over your babies when mine are ready to go! 8)

Holly
03-28-2008, 03:28 AM

They are going grey by the minute. I remember thinking the same thing with Pudding and she is BEC. Having said that I had the strange coloured runt which was like a pale gingery colour with white belly...
I don't actually know that much about Chunky. I only originally had details of his parents and Jean gave me g/parents and gg/parents on his father's side but I don't know anything about his mum's side.

Ha! I thought exactly the same with some of mine (and I was hoping for a REC) and then I watched all the ears go grey!

I know, I did think about you when I posted the pictures. It would have been really nice if they both had their babies the same day as planned....
Hopefully I will be drooling over your babies when mine are ready to go! 8)

Aww bless you, I must admit to a pang of sadness when I think of my babies that never were. But at least they didn't die and at least Smartie was ok - and I really do think they are both pregnant now :)

Gill, your babies are lovely - I wish I could see them in the flesh which sadly isn't possible as we can't go to Monmouth :(

Basia
03-28-2008, 03:42 AM
Aww bless you, I must admit to a pang of sadness when I think of my babies that never were. But at least they didn't die and at least Smartie was ok - and I really do think they are both pregnant now :)
Yes, it could have been worse. Hopefully you will soon have lots of little babies to take your mind off your disappointment. :wink:

Gill, your babies are lovely - I wish I could see them in the flesh which sadly isn't possible as we can't go to Monmouth

Thank you. I am watching 2 or 3 quite closely. You will get to meet at least one of them in the future (if not 3!) :roll:

Catja
03-28-2008, 03:47 AM
Thank you. I am watching 2 or 3 quite closely. You will get to meet at least one of them in the future (if not 3!) :roll:

You will let me have at least one, wont you? :lol: :lol: :wink:

They do look lovely don't they, I can't wait!

nooboo
03-28-2008, 04:01 AM
they are beautiful, good job with them!

Bunsey
03-28-2008, 06:20 AM
i'm glad i know that about the ears now then, as i would've been like what on earth, why do i have all REC?! :lol:

Basia
03-28-2008, 06:39 AM
You will let me have at least one, wont you? :lol: :lol: :wink:

They do look lovely don't they, I can't wait!

Yeah Catja you will have the choice of at least 5! :P
I think 2 of the sables are boys, the 3rd (one I am watching) could be a girl.

DonnaB
03-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Ooooooh theyre gorgeous!!! :D

Yaffle
03-28-2008, 01:15 PM
They are beautiful babies, Neil is very taken with the sables :wink:

Bunsey
03-30-2008, 10:41 AM
will there be a cream girl for me pretty please :D