PDA

View Full Version : Rescuing chickens!

Katie&Noodle
04-27-2012, 09:03 AM
3 ex-battery farm hens will be living the rest of their lives with me and my family at the end of may!

I can't wait! Being a veggie, it's nice knowing that at least these three hens won't be going to slaughter.

Just need some names now. Ideas anyone?

Lougarry
04-27-2012, 09:06 AM
That's wonderful. I'd love to do this but we have far too many foxes in and out of the garden. Best of luck with them!

racinghamster
04-27-2012, 09:29 AM
One of our neighbours has a pet hen called Salt and she comes wandering around the gardens at her leisure! She`s a big red feathered hen and a lovely character. She had a mate but she wandered away. :( The woman doesn`t bother that she wanders around so it`s no wonder Salt`s companion went missing. I would love some hens they are great to watch scratching around for worms and other beasties in the garden! They love a secure roost at night. It`s lovely to see cages hens finally getting out to free-range. :)

SammytheSyrian
04-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Wow a lot of chicken activity..2 days ago I found 3 abandoned chickens. I wasn't allowed to keep them though, we took them to a wildlife center. I'm still considering them my "sons" though :). Have fun with your girls.

HollyHamster
05-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Ah, hens. They are nice for fresh eggs, if you like fresh eggs that is.

I recommend that you feed them egg shells as that will help them to produce new and strong egg shells within their bodies for future eggs.

Here are some names I like:

Henrietta
Harriet
Hedwig