PDA

View Full Version : Reviews on Wessex Hamstery?

p_anda
04-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Anyone ever bought roborovskis from there? I was looking on the site but it looks like it hasn't been updated for about 3 years, are they still active? :confused:

Cathii
04-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Yep! I got my robos from him, he is still running and showing his hams! He sells husky and normal roborovski hamsters, all with healthy lines, but I'm not sure about any other colours.
Send him an email using the one on the website - I got a fairly quick reply.

p_anda
04-24-2012, 05:11 AM
Thank you Cathii. :)

I wonder why he's not updating his page?

souffle
04-24-2012, 05:24 AM
He's very busy and does at lot for the clubs in the south and also has a new baby!

p_anda
04-24-2012, 05:45 AM
He's very busy and does at lot for the clubs in the south and also has a new baby!

That explains it, thanks. :) When I search for hamsterys I find it off putting when I find a page with no recent updates of new litters, I always think 'are they still running'?

Cathii
04-24-2012, 09:23 AM
That explains it, thanks. :) When I search for hamsterys I find it off putting when I find a page with no recent updates of new litters, I always think 'are they still running'?
Yeah, that's why I asked on here and also emailed him.

Ellie
04-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Most breeders with sites are still running, just the owners of them are so busy with shows and caring for their 40+ hamsters along with their working life they dont have time

Alot of good hamsterys don't have websites either - but don't let that put you off :)

kiania
04-30-2012, 02:42 PM
I've been waiting for my robos since January - that said, if I send an email, it is promptly (within 24 hours) responded to. Apparently playing Barry White does not help a robo to breed :(

Pompompoms
05-01-2012, 10:43 AM
I cannot speak highly enough of Wessex Hams, I met him last year at the Romsey show when he had such beautiful robos, and he met Dasher and Whizzbit. He had seen The Cloud's husky and all white babies that I sent to Tammy, and as someone that often works with Tammy was very interested in breeding the white line himself.

The Cloud by this time was two and two months, and was showing signs of the illness that would take him to the bridge, so we decided Whizzbit might like to try being a dad. A little later at the Andover show I picked up Lilly from Wessex hams, and she came to live here. A little after that I picked up Daisy, and she came to live with Dasher. Altogether ten pompoms went back to Wessex hams, six Agouti, two husky and two pure whites.

All the Wessex hams including the pompoms additions have been very naughty this year so far, and not been breeding, hence there not having been any robos as yet, but I imagine now the warmer weather is here they will be.

Wessex hams is hugely knowledgeable and passionate about robos, his hamsters really are beautiful, and come from the first robos introduced to the UK, I have learned so much from just talking and listening to him, and feel so lucky to have had the chance to breed the pompoms with his hams, as I say, for people at this end of the country I really can't recomment him highly enough!

p_anda
05-01-2012, 12:38 PM
I've been waiting for my robos since January - that said, if I send an email, it is promptly (within 24 hours) responded to. Apparently playing Barry White does not help a robo to breed :(

I imagine he has a long waiting list, most breeders do. :) Waiting 3 months is not actually that long, my grandma recently had to wait 10 months for a puppy...I think if you're thinking about buying an animal from a breeder you should be prepared to wait up to a year, very occasionally even longer, especially with exotics, like duprasi, pymy mice, etc. [not hamsters, I don't see why they should be considered exotics nowadays]

I hope you get your robos soon though! :D

p_anda
05-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks PomPom, that's a very detailed and helpful review. :)

kiania
05-01-2012, 12:47 PM
I imagine he has a long waiting list, most breeders do. :) Waiting 3 months is not actually that long, my grandma recently had to wait 10 months for a puppy...I think if you're thinking about buying an animal from a breeder you should be prepared to wait up to a year, very occasionally even longer, especially with exotics, like duprasi, pymy mice, etc. [not hamsters, I don't see why they should be considered exotics nowadays]

I hope you get your robos soon though! :D

Not 3, 5 months (so far) :) And I'm not saying that there is a problem - We've wanted robos since June last year, we just weren't ready until Boxing day to actually contact a breeder, and what with the move, that held things up a smidge.

My hedgehog, I spoke to the breeder in Feb, and took her home in July last year, so ironically, my robos are going to be more 'rare' than my hedgehog, heh!

But like I said, all my query emails (I'm sending one a month atm) are promptly responded to, so it isn't a concern. I'm hoping the warmer weather helps them get in the mood. I am waiting for a specific colour morph though, so that might be hindering my prospects, although last I heard, Rob had three pairs of the colouration I'm after together. Fingers crossed :)

p_anda
05-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Not 3, 5 months (so far) :) And I'm not saying that there is a problem - We've wanted robos since June last year, we just weren't ready until Boxing day to actually contact a breeder, and what with the move, that held things up a smidge.

My hedgehog, I spoke to the breeder in Feb, and took her home in July last year, so ironically, my robos are going to be more 'rare' than my hedgehog, heh!

But like I said, all my query emails (I'm sending one a month atm) are promptly responded to, so it isn't a concern. I'm hoping the warmer weather helps them get in the mood. I am waiting for a specific colour morph though, so that might be hindering my prospects, although last I heard, Rob had three pairs of the colouration I'm after together. Fingers crossed :)

Seems like I've lost my ability to count.:) But how can it be 5 months when it's only the beginning of may? That would make it 4 months.

What kind of colour variations are you looking for, out of interest?

kiania
05-02-2012, 10:28 AM
January, February, March, April, May - five? And they aren't born yet, and even after being born, wouldn't be ready for 3 to 4 weeks, so even if they were born today, it'd still be June.

And I'm after pied boys :)

Cathii
05-02-2012, 12:38 PM
I got my husky and agouti pair from him in Feb sometime, they were already 3 months old. I guess I got lucky as they were probably near enough the last ones left if he hasn't been breeding lately.

p_anda
05-02-2012, 12:48 PM
January, February, March, April, May - five? And they aren't born yet, and even after being born, wouldn't be ready for 3 to 4 weeks, so even if they were born today, it'd still be June.

And I'm after pied boys :)

Well May hasn't really ended yet, so I wouldn't count it. :)

I didn't realise he bred pied? I thought it was just agouti and husky. :o

kiania
05-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Had a look in my outbox, my first email to him was the actually the 27th of December, so May might not have started, but all of January should be included in my timeline :D

But yep, in theory he breeds pied - he mentioned having three pairs (not sure if he has more than that in his hamstery, but those were the ones he mentioned putting together) - except that they are refusing to make beautiful babies for him (and by extension, me!). I had hoped to be able to pick them up when I went for a conference on the 4th/5th of March, as it was in Bristol, so he'd only be an hour's detour. On the other hand, I'm moving in July, and will be about two hours closer to him then, so if they don't breed until after, that is also okay - you just know they are going to be ready the week I'm moving :D