PDA

View Full Version : Dogs And Hamsters

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 03:37 AM
Ok so as you probably guessed i have a dog and shes a staffordshire bull terrier biggest softie about despite what the media decides to tell you.

But i posted this to see if anyone introduces their hamster to their Pooch as i am unsure if it would be to stressful for Rodney incase he ever got out so she wouldn't eat him or do you guys think thats just a bad idea all together????

Vicki

Sunset_Melody
04-15-2012, 03:53 AM
I have a cocker spaniel called Charlie. He is a soppy old thing and he loves being in the room when my hamsters are playing in their balls. I introduced Ronnie to him and they just sniffed each other. I don't think it would stress Rodney out too much as long as you take him away if he does seem a little freaked and let him calm down. :) <3

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 03:55 AM
I have a cocker spaniel called Charlie. He is a soppy old thing and he loves being in the room when my hamsters are playing in their balls. I introduced Ronnie to him and they just sniffed each other. I don't think it would stress Rodney out too much as long as you take him away if he does seem a little freaked and let him calm down. :) <3

Thank you for your reply i will try them out together and see how it goes she normally loves everything and everybody so hopefully in her part it will go well

Vicki

shell1805
04-15-2012, 03:57 AM
my dog (cavi) bentley just ignores the hammies when they are in their balls. when snowy got out of her ball the other day i found her sitting right in front of him... he didnt bat an eyelid lol soppy muttley x

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 04:10 AM
my dog (cavi) bentley just ignores the hammies when they are in their balls. when snowy got out of her ball the other day i found her sitting right in front of him... he didnt bat an eyelid lol soppy muttley x

Lol Misty is appearing to be the same hes rolling about the room and shes just laying on the rug more interested in her Chew

if Rodney got out i'd have a heart attack cause hes not fully tame itd be a night mare trying to catch him and misty would think it was a game.

Vicki

Gizmodo ^_^
04-15-2012, 04:11 AM
2 of my dogs have not seen the hamsters
one of the border collies Meg, pays no interest to them, but they are in their cages when she sees them :)

shell1805
04-15-2012, 04:14 AM
im really lucky with snowy, she toddles over to you when she gets out. she got out the other day and i hadnt noticed them i feel this little thing climbing up my jeans lol yup, tis was her!!! lmao x

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 04:16 AM
2 of my dogs have not seen the hamsters
one of the border collies Meg, pays no interest to them, but they are in their cages when she sees them :)

Misty doesn't seem bothered by him either although when i have my guinea pigs out holding them she is mad to get to see them so i don't know if its a give me attention not them type of thing going or if its a i wanna make friends mummy let me see cause see licks my OH firey shoulder conure through the bars

Vicki

Lougarry
04-15-2012, 04:18 AM
My German Shepherd ignores Dinah but tries to snap at Magic.

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 04:29 AM
im really lucky with snowy, she toddles over to you when she gets out. she got out the other day and i hadnt noticed them i feel this little thing climbing up my jeans lol yup, tis was her!!! lmao x

Lol i hope i can get Rodney to be as Lovely as your Snowy do you have any tips???? :D

Vicki

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 04:31 AM
My German Shepherd ignores Dinah but tries to snap at Magic.

flip is your dog a male???? cause i think someone once told me that girl dogs like males better and vis versa don't know if its true though

Vicki

shell1805
04-15-2012, 04:37 AM
to be honest i cant take any credit for it, it is 100% her. she was brought back to p@h as she was 'viscious'!!! pffftttt yeah the only thing she is feisty with is her nibble stick and on clean out day she gives it a good seeing to :mad:

from the moment i got her home i thought lets see what this little fuzzbutt does, but my hand in her carry case waiting for the 'attack' and she just scaled my arm :D and that was that.... snowy was home :D

here's a pic 5 mins after we got home with her:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/shell1805/010-40.jpg

xxx

Gamina
04-15-2012, 04:59 AM
We don't have a dog but my parents have a dog and so do my inlaws. My parents live away but the inlaws regularly bring them around. The rodent cages have to be covered if he comes around as he goes mad trying to get at them, he is a West Highland White so it is in his nature to attack rodents etc. We used to live with my inlaws and had to keep the dog out of our room so he couldn't get near the cages.

Stanley my parents dog is a lurcher from working stock. His parents were bred from chasing and killing rabbits so as sweet and laid back as his temperament is I would never introduce them. He dosen't pay them any mind when they are in their cages.

I don't think I would ever risk an actually introduction, you never know how an animal may react, yes you ca make the best guess based on personality but you never know till you get the animal in that situation. I don't mean about just protecting the rodents I know my Adama gave Louie the westie a nasty nip through the cage once.

HamstersOfHell
04-15-2012, 05:04 AM
I have a Golden Retriever. The first hamster he ever saw was Honey, and he went mad because I was by her cage and he thought she was going to eat me :mad:
He is fine now though, he has watched them play in their cages and seen them in my hands. If seeing my gerbil frantically run around his/her cage, I know the hamsters aren't going to bother him. Since he sleeps outside my room a lot he saw the hamsters walking around and wasn't bothered at all (And he is a nutter most of the time). :p

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 05:09 AM
to be honest i cant take any credit for it, it is 100% her. she was brought back to p@h as she was 'viscious'!!! pffftttt yeah the only thing she is feisty with is her nibble stick and on clean out day she gives it a good seeing to :mad:

from the moment i got her home i thought lets see what this little fuzzbutt does, but my hand in her carry case waiting for the 'attack' and she just scaled my arm :D and that was that.... snowy was home :D

here's a pic 5 mins after we got home with her:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/shell1805/010-40.jpg

xxx

She is a wee beauty the whites are always the best as my guinea pig cherry showed me i got her from petshop as company for her sister if im honest i didnt want her for her looks just company

looking back now i couldnt believe i thought that about my hunni cherbear
i love her to bits and any white animal i now have a soft spot for

i really hope im as lucky with rodney

Vicki

shell1805
04-15-2012, 05:10 AM
im sure you will be, how is he for handling?? :)

xxx

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 05:12 AM
We don't have a dog but my parents have a dog and so do my inlaws. My parents live away but the inlaws regularly bring them around. The rodent cages have to be covered if he comes around as he goes mad trying to get at them, he is a West Highland White so it is in his nature to attack rodents etc. We used to live with my inlaws and had to keep the dog out of our room so he couldn't get near the cages.

Stanley my parents dog is a lurcher from working stock. His parents were bred from chasing and killing rabbits so as sweet and laid back as his temperament is I would never introduce them. He dosen't pay them any mind when they are in their cages.

I don't think I would ever risk an actually introduction, you never know how an animal may react, yes you ca make the best guess based on personality but you never know till you get the animal in that situation. I don't mean about just protecting the rodents I know my Adama gave Louie the westie a nasty nip through the cage once.

i understand what your saying its better to earn with caution i know mistys breed is meant for ratting but shes an absolute head case i don't think she will ever meet rodney outside his ball i don't trust her that much as shes to hyper for a wee hamster

but when hes in his ball she leaves him to it

Vicki

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 05:16 AM
I have a Golden Retriever. The first hamster he ever saw was Honey, and he went mad because I was by her cage and he thought she was going to eat me :mad:
He is fine now though, he has watched them play in their cages and seen them in my hands. If seeing my gerbil frantically run around his/her cage, I know the hamsters aren't going to bother him. Since he sleeps outside my room a lot he saw the hamsters walking around and wasn't bothered at all (And he is a nutter most of the time). :p

Aww thats really cute that he was worried about you misty only would be very protective if something bit me but with my son she watches everyone with him and won't leave his side when we have visitors in.

shes just laying down while rodney tootiles about in his ball

Vicki

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 05:19 AM
im sure you will be, how is he for handling?? :)

xxx

hes not to bad if i wake him he gives a wee bite then gets up when im holding him hes not to bad but i don't really trust him not to go flying he will eat food from my hand and allow me to stroke him but when i lift him up he wriggles a bit and if hes near the ball he will go into it

Vicki

shell1805
04-15-2012, 05:20 AM
sounds promising :)

i can walk around with snowy in my hood :)

xxx

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 05:28 AM
sounds promising :)

i can walk around with snowy in my hood :)

xxx

flip she sounds absolutely amazing i don't think i will be trying that anytime soon with rodney though

Vicki

shell1805
04-15-2012, 05:30 AM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/shell1805/007-44.jpg

in my hubbys hood :)

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/shell1805/008-44.jpg
on the way to the kitchen :)

she did it by herself one day and that was that.... only had her over a month 2 :) she feels like she has always been here x

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 05:37 AM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/shell1805/007-44.jpg

in my hubbys hood :)

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/shell1805/008-44.jpg
on the way to the kitchen :)

she did it by herself one day and that was that.... only had her over a month 2 :) she feels like she has always been here x

she is an absolute wee dote i wanna hamster nap her
shes the sign of a happy well cared for pet
i hope i can do as an amazing job with rodney as you have for snowy

Vicki

shell1805
04-15-2012, 05:42 AM
shes a spoilt diva is what she is lol i got her a new hammie ball yesterday and the doors are really stiff so she cant open them.... pffffttt boy was she not a happy hammie! when i offered her a meal worm she sniffed it and toddled off.... guess that was me tld off lol x

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 05:48 AM
shes a spoilt diva is what she is lol i got her a new hammie ball yesterday and the doors are really stiff so she cant open them.... pffffttt boy was she not a happy hammie! when i offered her a meal worm she sniffed it and toddled off.... guess that was me tld off lol x

lol so cute speaking of opening hamster balls rodney opened his today in the kitchen while i was in the living room and was just about to get out as i walked in so now th doors have a bit of tape on the outside to keep him in

Vicki

shell1805
04-15-2012, 05:52 AM
yeah hammie balls are useless!!! snowy is a master at opening them so i then got her a pen and she did this:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/shell1805/006-56.jpg

so now she has a massive tub to play in and she strops alot lol

'woman let me OUT NOW!'

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/shell1805/003-65.jpg

lmao x

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 06:11 AM
yeah hammie balls are useless!!! snowy is a master at opening them so i then got her a pen and she did this:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/shell1805/006-56.jpg

so now she has a massive tub to play in and she strops alot lol

'woman let me OUT NOW!'

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/shell1805/003-65.jpg

lmao x

lol definitely are i have a d clip on rodneys cages and tied the other opening closed

lol i don't know if rodneys a stropper yet

Vicki

shell1805
04-15-2012, 06:14 AM
oh snowy is awful at throwing a strop, in the evenings i put her back for a drink. she'll got to her water bottle 2 seconds later she is by her log ready to climb up my arm and out her cage again lol if i dont comply i get her staring at me and then chewing the bars like a mad hammie x

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 06:35 AM
oh snowy is awful at throwing a strop, in the evenings i put her back for a drink. she'll got to her water bottle 2 seconds later she is by her log ready to climb up my arm and out her cage again lol if i dont comply i get her staring at me and then chewing the bars like a mad hammie x

lol she sounds like a little kid i can't wait to see what rodneys like tame

Vicki

shell1805
04-15-2012, 06:37 AM
trust me that hammie stare can chill you to the bone *shudder*

lol

rodney sounds pretty tame now my lovely, you're doing really well with him :)

xxx

Hammymad
04-15-2012, 06:39 AM
I have a mini yorkie Dinky :) and he's always kept at a safe distance from the hams,he's very wary of their balls,so just stays in his bed on the settee :) xx

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 06:55 AM
I have a mini yorkie Dinky :) and he's always kept at a safe distance from the hams,he's very wary of their balls,so just stays in his bed on the settee :) xx

he sounds so cute and loveable you have given me an idea for another thread :D

Vicki

Lougarry
04-15-2012, 07:56 AM
flip is your dog a male???? cause i think someone once told me that girl dogs like males better and vis versa don't know if its true though

Vicki

She's a girl. Someone once told me that lots of dogs are wary of animals with black faces as they can't make out their features - if that's true it would explain why she is fine with Dinah (cream) but not with Magic (black).

Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
04-15-2012, 08:18 AM
I have a chocolate Labrador, Murfy who is a delightful softy. He ignores all of my dwarfies but when Fat Face comes out Murfy is determined to give him a wash. I had Fatty on my lap a few nights ago and the dog sneaked up without me noticing and licked Fatty right along his back. His long hair was all backwards and sticky up :lol:

One of my Cats Tabby (... a tabby cat) just watches my hams quite happily and doesn't bother with them, the other cat Ginger (Yeah you guessed it, she is ginger :roll:) Is terrified of them all and runs away if she sees them :lol:

Hammymad
04-15-2012, 08:29 AM
he sounds so cute and loveable you have given me an idea for another thread :D

Vicki

Yeah he's our little baby :p

kyrilliondaemon
04-15-2012, 10:14 AM
We let my parents dogs see the hams through their cages (primarily the hybrids as they were awake unlike the rest) but that was just because the dogs were desperate to know the secret of what was in my room.
We kept someone holding each dogs collar at all times and the dogs were pretty good. Hec loved watching them and Ange was good until she got excited and tried to get closer than the cage would let her lol. It was because of that we had the hands on the collars though so it was fine.

In any other situation we'd not really introduce our dogs to hams, but we do tend to let the dogs know "this is _____" just for their benefit really. Like the dogs now know the hams are what they are, and our old dogs got to meet the rabbits.
No plans of letting them meet, but then if they do most of the excitement is gone.

That said - The dogs haven't been hunting dogs.
The current ones are rottweilers and the ones who met the rabbits were german shepherds and a german shepherd cross.

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 10:16 AM
She's a girl. Someone once told me that lots of dogs are wary of animals with black faces as they can't make out their features - if that's true it would explain why she is fine with Dinah (cream) but not with Magic (black).

ah i think they did studies on dogs about them not reconising their owners when there face was covered

Vicki

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 10:20 AM
I have a chocolate Labrador, Murfy who is a delightful softy. He ignores all of my dwarfies but when Fat Face comes out Murfy is determined to give him a wash. I had Fatty on my lap a few nights ago and the dog sneaked up without me noticing and licked Fatty right along his back. His long hair was all backwards and sticky up :lol:

One of my Cats Tabby (... a tabby cat) just watches my hams quite happily and doesn't bother with them, the other cat Ginger (Yeah you guessed it, she is ginger :roll:) Is terrified of them all and runs away if she sees them :lol:

Lol Murfy sounds like Misty and i think i seen videos on youtube of a gang of cats being scared by one gaint rat (real)

Vicki

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 10:25 AM
We let my parents dogs see the hams through their cages (primarily the hybrids as they were awake unlike the rest) but that was just because the dogs were desperate to know the secret of what was in my room.
We kept someone holding each dogs collar at all times and the dogs were pretty good. Hec loved watching them and Ange was good until she got excited and tried to get closer than the cage would let her lol. It was because of that we had the hands on the collars though so it was fine.

In any other situation we'd not really introduce our dogs to hams, but we do tend to let the dogs know "this is _____" just for their benefit really. Like the dogs now know the hams are what they are, and our old dogs got to meet the rabbits.
No plans of letting them meet, but then if they do most of the excitement is gone.

That said - The dogs haven't been hunting dogs.
The current ones are rottweilers and the ones who met the rabbits were german shepherds and a german shepherd cross.

i let misty see my OH bird and held her collar and bird myself big mistake she got exicted bird sqwauked she snaped so yeah she never ever will be allowed to see anything out of its cage or ball etc. face to face in fairness i should have had someone to hold her or the bird but at least i know its fine in its house or ball but once its out shes untrustworthy

Vicki

kyrilliondaemon
04-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Ah... We tend to do it when we know we can trust the animal at least a bit. The rabbits met the dogs with nothing between them, but each rabbit had a person, the dog had a person and there was a fourth half in the way as well lol. All nice and well restrained and us with way more control than any single animal.

I'm sorry to hear what happened to the bird.

We don't do letting animals see each other much anyway. As we've said its more "if the worst happens and you see each other... this is what you both are so theres nothing to be excited over"
We hope it never happens but then an escape is potentially less likely to be er... the worst it could be.

p_anda
04-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Terrier.

That says it all. Terriers were bred to exterminate rodents around the house. I think that's all I need to say.

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Terrier.

That says it all. Terriers were bred to exterminate rodents around the house. I think that's all I need to say.

I agree with you there they were breed for that reason but i firmly believe its how you bring the dog up

Vicki

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Ah... We tend to do it when we know we can trust the animal at least a bit. The rabbits met the dogs with nothing between them, but each rabbit had a person, the dog had a person and there was a fourth half in the way as well lol. All nice and well restrained and us with way more control than any single animal.

I'm sorry to hear what happened to the bird.

We don't do letting animals see each other much anyway. As we've said its more "if the worst happens and you see each other... this is what you both are so theres nothing to be excited over"
We hope it never happens but then an escape is potentially less likely to be er... the worst it could be.

i thought i could trust her with Squirt but obviously not so her and squirt with now always have the bars between them as she licks her through the bars i don't understand what went through her head that night but everyone came away unharmed which is the most important thing

i try to do that with misty to be then shes still a pup and alot of learning to do yet

Vicki

Cathii
04-15-2012, 10:59 AM
My hamsters and my dog were introduced by accident.
I probably wouldn't have let her near them, despite how calm and soft she is around humans as she is a Weimaraner, and they used to be used for hunting.
Then, a week ago she was accidently shut in my bedroom by my sister. We found her half an hour later. Even though the cage lid was off, all she was doing was sat there watching them!
I wouldn't let her be with them if they were running around in a playpen though.

Does your dog get excited when she sees a squirrel or a cat? Does she chase it? Those are the kind of things you'll want to think about before you introduce them. :)

kyrilliondaemon
04-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Makes sense. Like I said, its not something we make a habit of but its handy for them to meet a pet once sometimes. Just with a load of precautions involved too.

I'm glad the bird came away unharmed.

Keflan
04-15-2012, 11:05 AM
My girlfriend's brother has 2 hamsters and a dog and their dog is so scared of the hamster when its in the ball he starts shaking. But if you make any noise towards the hamster while its in the cage he chases as he wants attention, really annoying to be honest.

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 02:29 PM
My hamsters and my dog were introduced by accident.
I probably wouldn't have let her near them, despite how calm and soft she is around humans as she is a Weimaraner, and they used to be used for hunting.
Then, a week ago she was accidently shut in my bedroom by my sister. We found her half an hour later. Even though the cage lid was off, all she was doing was sat there watching them!
I wouldn't let her be with them if they were running around in a playpen though.

Does your dog get excited when she sees a squirrel or a cat? Does she chase it? Those are the kind of things you'll want to think about before you introduce them. :)

she wouldn't chase them would just be inquizitive and ant to see them

Vicki

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 02:33 PM
My girlfriend's brother has 2 hamsters and a dog and their dog is so scared of the hamster when its in the ball he starts shaking. But if you make any noise towards the hamster while its in the cage he chases as he wants attention, really annoying to be honest.

His dog sounds like mine only mine doesn't care when rodneys in the ball tho but all attention must be focused on her so when we have visitors shes in a doggy cage other wise she would wreck cause she isn't getting her own way

Vicki

fluffymunchkins
04-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Its all up to the individual dog really, how they were raised and their instinct can make their reaction to hamsters unpredictable.
I don't see any problem in introducing a dog to hamsters in a controlled situation (hamster in cage and with the dog held by the cage).

Its proven beneficial for my dog (an ex racing greyhound) to be introduced gradually to the hamsters. So that she can learn her boundaries with them and allow her to become used to them being around.
Her first day home, she lunged at the cage, just the smell was enough to make her want to attack. Now she can be allowed in the same room and will usually only the sniff the cages, she leaves immediately when i command (if i feel shes getting too excited if one of the hamsters is particularly active).
I can also have a calm hamster such as Bacardi out in the same room without her reacting, she only wants to chase so when he sitting shes not fussed. She also completely ignores the gerbils which were a big excitement for her at first, i did the same thing as i have been doing with the hamsters.

But even still, I could never trust her in a million years not to revert to attacking them. So better to safe than sorry x

Kissa
04-15-2012, 03:43 PM
fluffymunchkins, I'd love to have an ex-racing greyhound, so hearing about how yours dealt with the hamsters was interesting :) I'll keep it in mind for when I (eventually) get myself one.

louisbs
04-15-2012, 03:56 PM
I have a West Highland Terrier and hes banned from my room!
He gets too interested in the ham cages.

Vicki S
04-16-2012, 03:01 AM
Its all up to the individual dog really, how they were raised and their instinct can make their reaction to hamsters unpredictable.
I don't see any problem in introducing a dog to hamsters in a controlled situation (hamster in cage and with the dog held by the cage).

Its proven beneficial for my dog (an ex racing greyhound) to be introduced gradually to the hamsters. So that she can learn her boundaries with them and allow her to become used to them being around.
Her first day home, she lunged at the cage, just the smell was enough to make her want to attack. Now she can be allowed in the same room and will usually only the sniff the cages, she leaves immediately when i command (if i feel shes getting too excited if one of the hamsters is particularly active).
I can also have a calm hamster such as Bacardi out in the same room without her reacting, she only wants to chase so when he sitting shes not fussed. She also completely ignores the gerbils which were a big excitement for her at first, i did the same thing as i have been doing with the hamsters.

But even still, I could never trust her in a million years not to revert to attacking them. So better to safe than sorry x

Its good how your dog is now especially for an ex racer

I just want to let my doggy know shes not the only pet in the house and if they got out she might bare that in mind and not try to eat them (my dog is a pie lol)

Vicki

Vicki S
04-16-2012, 03:04 AM
I have a West Highland Terrier and hes banned from my room!
He gets too interested in the ham cages.

my dog used to be really interested in my guinea pigs cages but the more i let her see them the more calm she beecomes and slurps their faces when they come to the front

Vicki

Queen Of The High Teas
04-17-2012, 11:20 AM
My eldest dog loves other animals and is fine with them. Meg my border collie however puts herself under the stairs as far away as possible at the sight of something small and furry cos she's terrified of them!:shock:

louisbs
04-17-2012, 12:37 PM
my dog used to be really interested in my guinea pigs cages but the more i let her see them the more calm she beecomes and slurps their faces when they come to the front

We have had Noodles for 2 years and hes not calmed down about them yet! lol

Cathii
04-17-2012, 02:22 PM

Vicki

Aww that's sweet! My dog ignores my guinea pigs really, but she used to be interested. She is crazy inquisitive at my hams though, but at least I know she won't hurt them.

Vicki S
04-18-2012, 02:53 PM
We have had Noodles for 2 years and hes not calmed down about them yet! lol

Lol you maybe just have a very hyper dog lol

Vicki

Vicki S
04-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Aww that's sweet! My dog ignores my guinea pigs really, but she used to be interested. She is crazy inquisitive at my hams though, but at least I know she won't hurt them.

I think the smaller the animal is the more they are like what the dis are you do i eat you lick you are what do you do

Vicki

RubyDooby
04-22-2012, 02:18 AM
I have 3 dogs, 2 don't know my hammy exist but my little cavalier knows he is there, she watches him on his wheel from across the other side of the room! She gets really jealous when I'm fussing over him & not her!

p_anda
04-22-2012, 01:03 PM
My eldest dog loves other animals and is fine with them. Meg my border collie however puts herself under the stairs as far away as possible at the sight of something small and furry cos she's terrified of them!:shock:

My parents old border collie, Georgia [dead] used to do the exact same thing...When Albion [dead] was out and about, she used to walk away from him when he went near her. When I picked him up and went close to her, she turned her head away from Albion, pretending he didn't exist. :) :rolleyes: A few times he tried to climb her fur, and she got terrified and started squealing. :eek: Yeah but I found it was better than her being too interested in him, at least I knew I could safely have her sleeping in my bedroom and leave her in my room even when I wasn't around. She just tried to ignore his presence and was very wary of him

Sterluv
04-23-2012, 06:52 AM
I don't have a dog, but my cat totally ignores the hamsters.

Vicki S
04-23-2012, 07:05 AM
My cat would be mad looking to eat them :(

Vicki

Queen Of The High Teas
04-23-2012, 02:17 PM
My parents old border collie, Georgia [dead] used to do the exact same thing...When Albion [dead] was out and about, she used to walk away from him when he went near her. When I picked him up and went close to her, she turned her head away from Albion, pretending he didn't exist. :) :rolleyes: A few times he tried to climb her fur, and she got terrified and started squealing. :eek: Yeah but I found it was better than her being too interested in him, at least I knew I could safely have her sleeping in my bedroom and leave her in my room even when I wasn't around. She just tried to ignore his presence and was very wary of him

LOL it's funny isn't it!? I am glad in one way as like you say it's better than not being able to trust her near them, but I just find it hilarious that a dog can be so afraid of small furries. She won't even go round the side of the house if the rabbits are in their run!!!:shock::lol:

p_anda
04-24-2012, 05:35 AM
LOL it's funny isn't it!? I am glad in one way as like you say it's better than not being able to trust her near them, but I just find it hilarious that a dog can be so afraid of small furries. She won't even go round the side of the house if the rabbits are in their run!!!:shock::lol:

Yeah I know it's quite funny. :) I think because border collies are bred to protect man's livestock, they have a conflict of interest. They won't hurt any other pet but might dislike them...so they just try to get out of situations like that as quickly as possible, and rather hide.

They are notorious for herding other pets too. My friend has one who regularly carries the free-ranging chinchillas back in to their cages and puts them inside. :)