PDA

View Full Version : I'm a complete hypocrite - sorry! - introducing.......

Catja
03-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Hi

I am a complete hypocrite, on the other hand I do take in quite a lot of rescues, but, well, Tesco hadn't got any cat lit so we had to call in at the petshop on our way home today, I wasn't going to look, I really wasn't but....

Well sat in the tank was a baby satin syrian! I would say cream banded but he has spectacles, he is an orangy cream colour, no agouti markings. Will have to look up in my book.

Will have to do penance now :cry:

I feel very guilty and given Jayne & Gill's recent experiences I am going to be like a cat on a hot tin roof watching him.

Having said that my other two petshop hams have been great, but still, I am trying not to stress him too much now.

What have I done, but he looked so helpless being bullied by the others

I did notice though they made me fill in a form to say I had been told everything etc - all preticked!!!!!

suga
03-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Of course you did the right thing - good for you :-). Baby hammies are the hardest thing in the world to resist so I'd have been surprised if you said you'd looked and not brought the wee one home. Looking forward to seeing some flicks soon. There have been some good experiences on the forum just recently with pet shop hams so fingers crossed the little man will settle and do just fine.

Congratulations :-)

Gust0o
03-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Haha, I think we should run a sweepstake on who's going to get another one next! :x

Maybe you could ask them to bar you from the petshop? :x

Am very much looking forward to seeing some pics, and hearing a lot more about this new addition - just don't encourage me, I'm trying to be good :oops:

Do we have a name for this new chap?

Mollz
03-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Oh no, not another one :wink:
Sounds lovely, and the colour you described could be mink maybe?

Can't wait to see pictures once settled and here what he/she's been called!

souffle
03-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Awww Catya you big softy :lol: Sounds indeed like a mink banded. Are the eyes dark red? Looking forward to meeting the new little one. :lol:

Matty Day
03-02-2008, 10:42 AM
I don’t blame you at all it was the right thing to do well ethically under a utilitarian view point anyway as you have generated the most happiness. I’m just glad that I have very powerful self control because of my space and money issues i.e. I don’t want to have to many hamsters and I have got to take into account my new addition in may from Julie :x

Catja
03-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Looking at him on the way home (ended up purchasing a carrier aswell, I was saying to OH short haired mink banded, but his eyes which are HUGE look black to me and he has grey ears?

But the spectacles are really obvious.

Have gone in now and he is asleep? wedged between the wheel and the house looking not too good :cry:

On the other hand I couldn't imagine a more stressful afternoon, first you are poked by the assistant to wake up properly, then you are put in a tiny box insisted on by pets@home, then you are carried around the shop while your new owner desperately tries to find a carrier to take you home in, then the only thing available is a carrier for reptile (and small animals), then you have a car ride where the bumpy roads make you lose your footing, then you are left in the carrier whilst your new owner tries as quick as she can to get the small cage ready for you as the big cages need disinfecting, then you are put in the cage and the new rubbish owner realises the silent spinner won't fit and the lid won't close, then you are ushered back in the cup and back in the carrier whilst new owner cleans the wheel that should really go in the cage and fits it and then wrestles with the water bottle as the cage will only take sippys but we haven't got the bracket anymore!

PHEW!

You are now on your own in the dark room though you can smell other hamsters and people are coming and going, best you stick your head down and hope for the best!

Your new owner has decided to leave you be in the small cage tonight and let you rest up, there will be plenty of time for adventure later on :wink:

(He is currently in a ferplast disney which I use for picking up hamsters normally, it really does amaze me that these cages are sold as suitable for a hamster to live in normally!

Catja
03-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Baby is a he by the way but we are toying with names, until I see him better

suga
03-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Sounds like an adventure already :-).

Gust0o
03-02-2008, 11:36 AM
I always wanted one with the spectacles-look, called Magoo.

I don't know why!

Wow, he's quite a day!

Basia
03-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Aw Catja, congratulations. He sounds lovely. :D
I wouldn't worry about him wedging himself behind the wheel too much, I have had a lot of new additions do that. It sometimes take them a day or two to settle down and make a proper nest.