PDA

View Full Version : REC to BEC?

Mollz
02-24-2008, 04:46 AM
Hi I got a gorgeous satin REC yesterday at Highworth and am planning on mating her to Gizmo (mink roan). This should produce 25% REC, 25% REC roan, 25% Mink, 25% Mink roan; all longhaired, half satin.
Now if I kept a REC from the litter, and mated them to a BEC it would only produce BECs wouldn't it - unless the BEC carried REC? Would the BEC offspring be of poor colour or still be good (showable?).

Thanks!

Holly
02-24-2008, 04:55 AM
Yes, you are right about your litter - except to say that the predicted ratios are never correct in a single litter - you could, in theory get all Mink Roan Satins - or no Mink Roans Satins! (You probably know this already but just to make sure).

There's also a chance that both of yours carry the same recessive gene which means you could get totally unexpected colours in your litter - what makes it all so exciting :P

Mating REC to BEC is not a problem - yes you are more likely to get BEC's (perfectly good and showable, it doesn't matter if the parents are one of each) but you may well get REC if you are thinking about the baby you get from me - Toby obviously carries REC as he's a Mink and Smartie has a Cinnamon maternal grandmother and two REC paternal gt gt grandparents - so she may well carry it alslo :wink:

Mollz
02-24-2008, 05:01 AM
Yes I know the ratios will never be correct in such a small sample - for all I know I could end up with all one colour! I'm still really confused as to what matings will make non-showable versions of the colour.

Julie, would it be a problem if I changed to wanting a boy from you instead of a girl? This will just give me more time to play with in regards to the next mating. If it is a problem, then don't worry!

Holly
02-24-2008, 05:07 AM
It's not a problem to me as long as we get enough!

Will wants a boy and so does someone else on another forum - Catja wants a LH satin sex unspecified if I remember correctly. I think I want a girl but obviously need to look at the litter first - if there's a *perfect* boy I may want to keep him (hope that's ok :? ). The other two pre-booked homes are pet ones primarily so they aren't fussy!

The problem is that I don't know how many boys we'll get - last time it was just 3 out of 11 so we are due more boys this time but who knows :?

Mollz
02-24-2008, 05:10 AM
That's fine, I know it all depends on numbers!

Catja
02-24-2008, 06:40 AM
Catja wants a LH satin sex unspecified if I remember correctly. ?

Well I know I definitely want a LH boy but as I am getting a baby from Basia too there maybe one in that litter as I would like a sable I think,

What do you think you will get Julie?

Sorry Mollz I've completely highjacked your thread there - looking forward to seeing pics of your new LH REC.

I do really like red eyed hamsters and have decided another of these might be on my list too.

Basia
02-24-2008, 07:17 AM
I may have 2 litters at the same time. :wink:

Catja
02-24-2008, 07:23 AM

Ooh how come?

Basia
02-24-2008, 07:34 AM

Ooh how come?

I have 2 girls I would like to mate and I am wondering if I am brave enough to mate them at the same time. The babies could go to Monmouth but I will be in trouble if I don't sell most of them.... The sensible thing would be to mate one now and one next month really but I have a habit of not being very sensible.
Sorry Molz - I promise I won't hijack your thread any more now. :wink:

Catja
02-24-2008, 07:51 AM

Ooh how come?

I have 2 girls I would like to mate and I am wondering if I am brave enough to mate them at the same time. The babies could go to Monmouth but I will be in trouble if I don't sell most of them.... The sensible thing would be to mate one now and one next month really but I have a habit of not being very sensible.
Sorry Molz - I promise I won't hijack your thread any more now. :wink:

Pm me or I could start a new thread (don't want to hyjack Mollz anymore) but who are you thinking of mating and what colours might you get?) Might there be a roan or two?

Mollz
02-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Nah, feel free to hijack my thread!

If Julie doesn't have a boy, then maybe I could have one from you Gill (if that's ok with Julie)? All I'm looking for is a longhaired cream boy of some sort with good type and that hopefully wont be too small!

Please tell more about your planned litters Gill!

Basia
02-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Ah Molz - thanks for not getting cross. :D
I'm planning to mate Cara (SH BECream - one of Julie's last litter) with Balou (LH BECream from Tristar). These 2 are both a lovely deep cream already at 5 months, good types but lacking a bit of size. However all my babies except for Runty from the last litter are much bigger than Chunky and Berry, so I'm hoping that will be the same here. I would like a nice cream girl for myself from this mating.
I am also planning to mate Truffle (very large LH Sable apparently satin!) with Balou. I will just pick out whichever one take my eye from this mating but a LH sable male is already booked if we get one. :wink:
I am also planning a litter of Goldens in the late spring, hopefully.
Then in the autumn the Cara/Balou girl to Gizmo, my sable roan male.....

As you can probably tell I have been giving this a lot of thought today!! :D

Molz - you are very welcome to a boy as long as Julie doesn't mind.

Spuds Mum
02-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi Mollz,

the one thing I would say that could affect your ratios is if Gizmo is homozygous for umbrous - i.e. UU rather than Uu. If he were then all your babies would be sables, minks (with or without roan) or other umbrous colours (depending on the various recessive genes).

So if Gizmo's parents were both umbrous colours then this would be more likely, however if one of his parents was a cream then you can be sure Gizmo is Uu and you would expect to get creams in there too!

Mollz
02-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Spud's mum: Yes I had already checked this out and Gizmo only has one U as his parents were a sable and a black-eyed cream!

Spuds Mum
02-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Fantastic - sorry, I thought you would have checked it out - but mentioned it just in case.

I bet you will get a lovely mix of colours and patterns with those combinations! :D

Mollz
02-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Fantastic - sorry, I thought you would have checked it out - but mentioned it just in case.

I bet you will get a lovely mix of colours and patterns with those combinations! :D

That's fine, I'd rather be told/find out things a couple of times then not realise!

I'm really looking forward to breeding, and can't wait to recieve Amelie's pedigree in the post/via email (whichever way they decide to send it).