PDA

View Full Version : I'm sure Desi is a satin

Catja
02-23-2008, 06:55 PM
With my post Highworth eyes, I am sure Desi is a golden satin. I always knew his fur was different to the others but looking at him tonight I'm sure. All of his fur is a real irredescent colour - it really doesn't show on his photos, and looking at Basia's satin girl today I'm sure he is, and he has the division of white down his chest band which Basia said was good - heck I think he's a show winner anyway :lol:

Holly
02-24-2008, 02:28 AM
Try and get a daylight picture of him if he's ever awake in the day. If you have him on a wondowsill or something it might show more clearly in the pics. I don't suppose it matters if you are sure but I'd love to see it :P

Catja
02-24-2008, 04:08 AM
Yes I want to try and get a good photo, he always comes out looking much much darker and not glossy in the photos.

Probably make a fool of myself now and everyone go, no he isn't but his fur is totally different in appearance to my others :oops:

Basia
02-24-2008, 04:14 AM
Its really hard to get a good photo of satins I find, especially with a flash. Peaches colour was much darker than her photos and I think that may be why I can never get a decent photo of Truffle.

From your reaction when you saw Posh it sounds as though Desi is a satin.

I absolutely love satins, I just can't resist them, I don't know why. When I had just bought Posh one of the breeders said to me 'She's satin, did you want satin?' I said 'Absolutely' and judging by the face she pulled I don't thinks she felt the same way about satins as I do. :?

Catja
02-24-2008, 04:48 AM
I absolutely love satins, I just can't resist them, I don't know why. When I had just bought Posh one of the breeders said to me 'She's satin, did you want satin?' I said 'Absolutely' and judging by the face she pulled I don't thinks she felt the same way about satins as I do. :?

I think satins are tops, your satin girl was amazing, that really irredescent quality to the fur.

I noticed some satins were shinier than others, Desi is not as shiny as your girl but definitely more akin to her. Algy is a golden banded I think, where his fur is golden it looks completely different to Desi much more matt.

So he is either
A. Satin,
B. Just incredibly healthy
C. He's using my Pantene Ice Shine when I'm not looking :lol:

Holly
02-24-2008, 05:00 AM
I must admit I've a real liking for satins as well - Smartie and Rolo definitely have something very pretty when you look at them (if I do say it myself :P ). That's not to say non-satins don't as well but there's something about that glossy coat that I love :)

Basia
02-24-2008, 05:01 AM
Not all satins are as shiny as others. I really didn't think Truffle was a satin, I just thought she was looked fit, a description we always used for rabbits with a glean to their coat, (or using my Pantene!)
The satin creams seem to be very shiny but even my Berry has dulled as she has got older.
Runty is a satin but because of his colour he doesn't shine as much as some satins. His coat feels very soft and silky and his hair reflects the light, especially when I take a photo. Other than that he doesn't look that different to Gizmo. Their short-haired satin brother really shone though.

Mollz
02-24-2008, 05:06 AM
I also love satins. But if those two are satins then there must be varying degrees of "satin-ness", although as you said it does show more on certain colours (e.g. creams more than sables).

Holly
02-24-2008, 05:11 AM
Runty is a satin but because of his colour he doesn't shine as much as some satins.

Roan Satins are definitely not as shiny - I heard the judges discussing Molly, our Sable Roan Satin, yesterday - they were wondering if she was satin after all. I thought for a moment I was going to get two reclassified - one into Satin and one out of it :?

Catja
02-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Here are some photos of Desi taken in dull daylight, still doesn't really show him properly

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii131/catja_album/Desisatin2.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii131/catja_album/desisatin1.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii131/catja_album/desisatin.jpg

He looks better under artificial light :D

Basia
02-24-2008, 10:36 AM
He does look to have a satiny sheen in those photos, especially the second one. He is an asbolutely gorgeous hamster too.

Bunsey
02-24-2008, 11:58 AM
he does look a bit satin, perhaps it's harder to tell in long-haireds?

Holly
02-24-2008, 12:33 PM
I see what you mean - especially in the 2nd one - interesting!

Catja
02-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Yes, and he is shinier than the photo. Maybe he's just a greasy hamster :lol: as if you gently stroke his fur and tidy him up he gets a real gloss

Mollz
02-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Another one to bring along to a show Catja!
He does look a bit satin.

Spuds Mum
02-24-2008, 02:00 PM
hmm I don't know, to be honest! Just on the basis of Desi's photos I would probably have said he wasn't satin, but satins are notoriously hard to photo and get the colours/satin right. And to add to it, we have a satin golden banded girl (who isn't too satin any more as she is nearly bald - but that's another story :oops: ) and for the longest time we couldn't decide whether she was or wasn't, and it was only seeing another in the flesh that helped us decide, so I'd say that if you feel she is then its a good chance you're right. As the others say, probably taking him to a show would help you get to the bottom of it (or maybe not if Basia and Holly's sables are anything to go by lol).

He is looking good though, and I bet he thanks his lucky stars that he is now in such a lovely loving home! :D