PDA

View Full Version : Lump :( Advice please.

Basia
02-23-2008, 02:14 PM
I bought a female satin golden hamster at the show today, she was born in November. She was very scared when the sales lady picked her up and screamed (loudly) but she didn't attempt to bite so I said I would have her. She went into a box and I didn't actually handle her at all.
When I got her home I stroked her and made friends and picked her up and she has a lump sort of between her shoulders. It is loose and moves under the skin, it doesn't seem to hurt her at all, she didn't mind me touching it. The skin feels quite rough but doesn't have a scab that I can see and it is covered in fur. I can't see the lump, just feel it.
I intend to take her to the vet but would rather wait until she has had a chance to settle in with us. She was calm and friendly with me this evening but I don't want to stress her any more than I have to.
Does anyone have any idea what the lump may be? Will it be ok to not take her to the vet until the end of the week if it isn't causing her any problems do you think?
After losing Peaches this week and now this I am beginning to think I am jinxed with satin females.... :(

Holly
02-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Oh bless her, Gill, she's such a gorgeous little thing - and poor you going through this worry again.

I wonder if it's a healed over abscess that she got from a bite whilst still with her litter mates. As I understand it they can sometimes heal over and be relatively painless though I don't know how usual this is (it occasionally happens with humans too).

I'm sure someone who's more of a hamster nurse than me will be on soon - I hope she's ok.

Mollz
02-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Oh Gill, I am so sorry to hear that the gorgeous little girl has a lump.
Do you think it could be a swelling from a bite from one of her litter mates or something? I agree, take her to the vet, but it probably wouldn't be a problem to let her settle for a while as long as it doesn't seem painful.

Which breeder did she come from? Could you maybe get in contact with them to see whether they were aware of the lump (from a previous bite etc.)?

Good luck

Spuds Mum
02-23-2008, 02:24 PM
It may just be a healing abscess as Julie says, or maybe a little cyst I guess, although I dont know really. I hope she's okay though and its nothing to worry about. x I'd wait a day or two if its not causing her any problems tbh, just as you said, you dont want to stress her out even more.

Basia
02-23-2008, 02:34 PM
I spoke to her breeder at the show, she was one of a litter of 17 and the breeder had another litter of 16 at the same time! As they were ready to go at Christmas time the petshop couldn't take them all and she said they started fighting so she had to split them up. I think it may have been an abcess that has healed over. It moves and it really doesn't bother her at all but the skin does feel as though it has been damaged. She doesn't seem to be ill at all, she is lively and inquisitive.
If she takes a turn for the worse obviously she will be straight to the vet but if she stays ok I may wait until my day off on Friday. I think she is tame but was just frightened at the show but I would like a chance to let her get to trust me.
She is absolutely gorgeous, she has black markings on her forhead which make her look as though she is frowning - hence she was a perfect Posh for the male I had already decided to call Beckham weeks ago.

Spuds Mum
02-23-2008, 02:43 PM
MMM Beckham, is that because he is golden and has... :oops:

Sounds as though Posh has some good markings too - bet you can't wait to get her out to have a really good look at her! We need pictures as soon as poss!

Basia
02-23-2008, 02:54 PM
MMM Beckham, is that because he is golden and has... :oops:

I wondered who would make the connection, might have guessed it would be you! :P

Sounds as though Posh has some good markings too - bet you can't wait to get her out to have a really good look at her! We need pictures as soon as poss![/quote]
She's got a very intense expression, partly because being satin her colours are so bright. Beckham has a really sweet face and he sort of looks at me as much as to say 'who are you??' He is a month younger than her so still looks like a baby.
I'm not going to tell you how closely related they are! :? Sue said it would be fine, human cousins can marry now can't they....
I will take some photos soon. :D

souffle
02-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Two new hammies Basia....lucky you.
The lump sounds healed over. With an abcess it leaves a sort of capsule underneath which gradually drains and shrinks. She must have a strong immune system to have healed it up on her own so that is good. If it seems to grow it may be new so pop her in soon otherwise I would leave her to settle too. It could even be a bruise from a fall or bump. Posh and Becks a lovely couple :wink:

Basia
02-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Two new hammies Basia....lucky you.
The lump sounds healed over. With an abcess it leaves a sort of capsule underneath which gradually drains and shrinks. She must have a strong immune system to have healed it up on her own so that is good. If it seems to grow it may be new so pop her in soon otherwise I would leave her to settle too. It could even be a bruise from a fall or bump. Posh and Becks a lovely couple :wink:
Thanks souffle, I was hoping you would be on at some point. I know I have been very bad. Beckham was planned and I booked him weeks ago. I didn't intend to get him a wife until the summer but I really hoped I would be able to find a satin golden and then I saw one on the sales table. (In fact there were 2 a male and a female). I got Sue to come and have a look at her to see if she was suitable and she thought she was very nice. I thought if I don't get her I will probably not see another one later on and be kicking myself.
I will keep a close eye on her and will, of course, take her to the vet straight away if I notice any change in the lump or her behaviour.

Catja
02-24-2008, 04:35 AM
I saw the satin girl yesterday and she was gorgeous, different animal I know but our cat used to suffer from cysts and the vet said if the lump was loose and moved about under the skin then that was a good sign and an indication it was a cyst or as someone has said here a healed over abscess.

It is always really worrying but if she is not in distress and shows no other sign of illness then getting her checked out on Friday I would think is okay. 16 litter mates, sounds like she may have had to fight her corner.

Seems like I missed all the babies yesterday!

Basia
02-24-2008, 04:46 AM
Seems like I missed all the babies yesterday![/quote]

There weren't very many there I don't think and the ones that came were snapped up first thing so I understand. I think the show had been advertised locally and people had come in to have a look. I saw a lot of people over on the sales tables while I was booking in and getting my 3 into their show pens, etc. When I went to have a look there were a lot of dwarfs but I only saw Posh and her brother. (Maybe I stopped looking when I saw Posh - I couldn't believe there was actually a satin golden female on the sales table).
The same thing happened to me when I went to Cardiff, it was a couple of days before my birthday and I was determined to buy a hamster but there weren't any. :(

Mollz
02-24-2008, 04:49 AM
As far as I could see, there were only around 3 syrians on the sales table - which is surprisingly few really.

Basia
02-24-2008, 04:53 AM
As far as I could see, there were only around 3 syrians on the sales table - which is surprisingly few really.

They weren't really babies either because 3 of them were Posh and her brothers and Posh is 16 weeks old.
Did Jean bring any besides your REC?

Mollz
02-24-2008, 04:57 AM
Not as far as I know, although there may have been one shorthaired REC as she couldn't decided which out of the three (Amelie, REC shorthair, REC satin shorthair) and how many she was going to keep.

Holly
02-24-2008, 04:58 AM
I think, like Basia says, there were a couple more (definitely *my* Dove dom-spot :? ) who were snapped up very early. We were there at 9.30am and there were people at the sales table then though I didn't pay much attention because I was busy benching mine.

I don't think Jean brought anymore babies - I didn't see any Tristar ones on the table after they arrived.

Mollz
02-24-2008, 05:03 AM
I think, like Basia says, there were a couple more (definitely *my* Dove dom-spot :? ) who were snapped up very early. We were there at 9.30am and there were people at the sales table then though I didn't pay much attention because I was busy benching mine.

I don't think Jean brought anymore babies - I didn't see any Tristar ones on the table after they arrived.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the dove dom-spot!

For some reason Jean had told me in her emails that she wasn't going to put any that she brought with her on the sales table - any idea why?

Holly
02-24-2008, 05:13 AM
Sometimes they are prebooked - maybe it was that?

It may also be that there's another show next week and they'll be that little bit older next week - maybe there'll be loads at Alcester!