PDA

View Full Version : Betta Fish

HollyHamster
03-01-2012, 12:46 AM
My other love, besides hamsters and my BF, is betta fish. I got bitten by the betta bug around 8-9 years ago with my first betta, Pippen, a white bodied, blue finned veiltail. Then after him I got another veiltail, a deep sapphire blue named Triton. Then he passed and I got my first three halfmoons. One male and two females. The male was an opaque white ( Finlay ), as was one of the females ( Angel ). The other female ( Molly ) was a mustard gas. They all passed and I decided to get yet another halfmoon, Gabriel. He currently lives in my 10 gallon with my 5 female guppies and two guppy fry. He is a over halfmoon bronze pink and white. He is a middle aged man now, at the age of two and a half years ( betta fish can live up to 6 years if kept properly ).

Here is Gabriel:

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s83/oceanblue28/101_0066-1.jpg

racinghamster
03-01-2012, 02:20 AM
Beautiful fish. I`ll bet they are comforting to watch? Do they need a tropical tank or just oxygeneted water?

vanilla-yazoo
03-01-2012, 06:43 AM
Racing ham: they are temperate so 22ish rather then the tropiccal 25. They are air breahing fish, they are from rice paddy fields so bad water quality, so they don't breathe it. They don't like water movement as they build bubble nests on the surface of the water.
I have one called prince, and one before him akio, and also have tropical, cold water and cichlid tank :D
They are the easyest fish to keep, don't grow big so suitable in most tanks :D

That is a gorgeous betta!!! My sister has a red dragon scale twin tailed halfmoon... I made her pick! I have prince who has a light pinkish body, purple fins with a red then white trim to the edges :D
They really are such gorgeous fish and love attention!
(Akio, my first, hated my ex bf and would flare up at him and act aggressive, listen to the fish!! He was right!)

racinghamster
03-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks for that vanilla. I would probably have a small tank of fish like this if I lived near good aquarium shops but I don`t, so I wouldn`t be happy about not having that back-up if I needed advice or good supplies to hand. I`ll stick to hamsters! :mad:

LoveMyHams
03-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Aww, makes me miss my betta fishies:) I've had 5 of them over the years. I've never seen a purply one like that though. Mine were all red or blue.

Sandrilene
03-03-2012, 01:01 PM
ooo someone else likes betta besides me? yay! I don't even currently own a tank yet but am doing research and getting ready for a betta. They had some gorgeous ones at the store yesterday but as i am not yet prepared I did not get one. I'm paying some debt off first. >< Sucks too I found a aquarium kit yesterday for 50% off with a heater. Made me sad. I could stare at bettas all day.

fluffymunchkins
03-03-2012, 03:27 PM
They are so pretty :)
I'd love a betta for my small tank, as I read they don't need too much room.
Its this one Fish Box 40cm Tank by Interpet (Available In Store Only) | Pets at Home (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/fish-box-40cm-tank-by-interpet-(available-in-store-only)-36859)
Though its home to my goldfish Rupert for now (hes around 6 years)! Its comforting to know they are quite easy as I'm not a knowledgeable fish keeper x

Pompompoms
03-03-2012, 03:53 PM
I hope to have a tank of beautiful fish one day, I find watching them so peaceful. I am actually terrified of fish in rivers and the sea, and completely freak out if they are too near me or too big. When they are safely tucked behind glass though I love them.

I am aware this is probably a little odd ;)

fluffymunchkins
03-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Actually I'm quite similar so your not alone :mad:
I don't mind watching fish, but I don't like to be touched by one or even the thought of being in the water with one!

Vectis Hamstery
03-03-2012, 04:18 PM
What a handsome fishy. I love my betta Hamlet. My previous betta just vanished, which was bizarre (he didn't jump or get stuck anywhere as I searched high and low :( ). I had a second tank which used to have a betta (who died of dropsy) but now has neons, snails, shrimp and a gourami.

Pompompoms
03-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Wait, he totally just vanished? That is so strange, where could he have gone????

HollyHamster
03-03-2012, 06:04 PM
If anyone has any questions about bettas I can possibly be of some help. I often read up on their care to keep abreast of all the new changes to it there may be.

Scarlett
03-03-2012, 06:22 PM
I wish my mom would let me get a Betta. It wouldn't be much different from about the fifty million pets I have. :mad: Also, this is really new, I thought Betta's needed their own separate tanks, or they'd kill other fish? Your Betta must be... Mixed with something else. My aunt had a Betta, which killed all her tetra's and guppies in her twenty gallon. Originally, they called Betta's, 'Siamese Fighter Fish', but changed the name to something more lovable.

HollyHamster
03-03-2012, 07:25 PM
No. My betta is a full betta splendens. Its impossible to mix a betta with another species. If you know how to integrate them properly, and they are a naturally docile individual, then they can live successfully in a community tank. It also depends on their finnage. For example, a crowntail or a plakat are naturally more aggressive than a halfmoon.

Its just so sad that many people believe that they can be kept in a bowl or worse, a vase. They are a living breathing animal, not a decoration. They need a heated, filtered tank like any other fish. I think that the reason this is a common misconception is because of their natural environment in places like Thailand. Sure they can exist in small amounts of water, and have evolved as such because of the ebb and flow of the dry and wet seasons in Thailand.

During the dry season their watery environment shrinks to small puddles and ponds with poor oxygen content. Because of this, bettas evolved a special organ called the labyrinth organ, which allows for the fish to extract oxygen out of the air itself. This helps the betta to survive the harsh and extreme conditions for a few months, until the rains come again and the waterways fill to overflowing and they can resume their lives as regular fish until the waters shrink yet again and the cycle continues.

And to elaberate on your information, Scarlett, they were originally called "Siamese Fighting Fish" because the males of the species were first observed fighting over territory in the wild, even the females will fight males if they aren't ready to spawn. People thought there natural tenacity and ferocity would make for a great, and very barbaric "sport" of Fish Fighting. The "Siamese" part came about because of the area they were first domesticated, Siam. Of course, Siam nolonger exists, it was where Thailand is now, but the trade is very much alive.

People soon found that they could breed them for colors, and finnage and then "show" them in competitions, a much more humane activity than fighting them.

Oops, I ramble, but you get the jest of it now. ;)

Scarlett
03-03-2012, 09:31 PM
No. My betta is a full betta splendens. Its impossible to mix a betta with another species. If you know how to integrate them properly, and they are a naturally docile individual, then they can live successfully in a community tank. It also depends on their finnage. For example, a crowntail or a plakat are naturally more aggressive than a halfmoon.

Its just so sad that many people believe that they can be kept in a bowl or worse, a vase. They are a living breathing animal, not a decoration. They need a heated, filtered tank like any other fish. I think that the reason this is a common misconception is because of their natural environment in places like Thailand. Sure they can exist in small amounts of water, and have evolved as such because of the ebb and flow of the dry and wet seasons in Thailand.

During the dry season their watery environment shrinks to small puddles and ponds with poor oxygen content. Because of this, bettas evolved a special organ called the labyrinth organ, which allows for the fish to extract oxygen out of the air itself. This helps the betta to survive the harsh and extreme conditions for a few months, until the rains come again and the waterways fill to overflowing and they can resume their lives as regular fish until the waters shrink yet again and the cycle continues.

And to elaberate on your information, Scarlett, they were originally called "Siamese Fighting Fish" because the males of the species were first observed fighting over territory in the wild, even the females will fight males if they aren't ready to spawn. People thought there natural tenacity and ferocity would make for a great, and very barbaric "sport" of Fish Fighting. The "Siamese" part came about because of the area they were first domesticated, Siam. Of course, Siam nolonger exists, it was where Thailand is now, but the trade is very much alive.

People soon found that they could breed them for colors, and finnage and then "show" them in competitions, a much more humane activity than fighting them.

Oops, I ramble, but you get the jest of it now. ;)

Whoa! Lots of helpful information I just learned there. I like it when people ramble, as you learn more about things than just a simple 'No, they don't.'. :D And I agree with you! My godmother kept a Betta in a clear vase with blue pebbles and flowers in them... As a decoration, of course. She never fed the poor thing. I had nothing to say about it, as she never listened. Fish need filters to keep their water clean, and a spacious tank, no matter how big or small the fish is. When I'm older, I'd love to have those large tropical fish and Betta's. :)

MismatchedMongrel
03-03-2012, 11:19 PM
I love the angle, he's all like "EPIC FISSHHH."
:D This is my third betta, Charles Xavier <3
He's in a fifteen gallon with
3 Balloon Mollies
1 Swordtail (o.o.. accidental addon)
3 small platies
2 corycats, a julii and a panda
:D I think Xavier is a halfmoon plakat dragonscale?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/TheDragonessXiao/SDC11171.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/TheDragonessXiao/SDC11175.jpg

MismatchedMongrel
03-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Whoa! Lots of helpful information I just learned there. I like it when people ramble, as you learn more about things than just a simple 'No, they don't.'. :D And I agree with you! My godmother kept a Betta in a clear vase with blue pebbles and flowers in them... As a decoration, of course. She never fed the poor thing. I had nothing to say about it, as she never listened. Fish need filters to keep their water clean, and a spacious tank, no matter how big or small the fish is. When I'm older, I'd love to have those large tropical fish and Betta's. :)

:D Good to get a little review in fishies. <3 As for aggressive bettas, I've only ever had one, he was a normal veiltail.. he actually attacked and killed corycats, which is weird because cories are fine 98% of the time.
:D Here's a note: If you ever get a fish tank and you want to have bettas in there add ALL of your other fish first.. THEN add the betta. It decreases their chances of aggression. The three bettas I've had have been plakat.. they're so much prettier to me :3. And I dont know about aggression, I've never seen them aggressive toward other fish. I'd say veiltails are meaner in my experience. But then again, it also depends on the fish. :3 Goodluck with future endeavors!

MismatchedMongrel
03-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Wait, he totally just vanished? That is so strange, where could he have gone????

This is gonna sound weird, but was the betta alone or with other fish? If it wasn't alone.. it might have been eaten. I've had that happen before.

MismatchedMongrel
03-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Aww, makes me miss my betta fishies:) I've had 5 of them over the years. I've never seen a purply one like that though. Mine were all red or blue.

I know! Any other color can be hard to find. One thing Petco is good for is pretty bettas. I've gotten all of mine there. :D And they've ranged from white to black to psychedelic.

MismatchedMongrel
03-03-2012, 11:35 PM

Scarlett! I wanted to show you my two bettas I've had in community tanks :3
Fish tank 3-4-2012 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uftMfd9r09Y) That is Xavier, the one I have now.. and..
Freshwater Fish tank 10 Gal :3 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_9xMclvxrM&list=UUhtQBuF88XlBqRdDxFY1LvA&index=20&feature=plpp_video) And that's Pan Long :3

tjherman
03-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Those are some amazing shots of a gorgeous fish. The color is so different! What kind of camera do you use? I had saltwater for a while and it was always a challenge getting good photos!

MismatchedMongrel
03-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Those are some amazing shots of a gorgeous fish. The color is so different! What kind of camera do you use? I had saltwater for a while and it was always a challenge getting good photos!

This is totally unrelated to the entire post but omg yay an american! And another southerner at that! :3
By the way o.o.. were you asking what camera I use or the original poster of the thread? I have a Samsung SL420. :D Pictures are a pain, you just gotta work with it. And never use a Kodak Easyshare they're a pain in the rear end ><

Vectis Hamstery
03-04-2012, 12:33 PM
This is gonna sound weird, but was the betta alone or with other fish? If it wasn't alone.. it might have been eaten. I've had that happen before.

He was alone. If he'd been in with anything else then I'd have assumed he was eaten. I took the tank apart and found him no-where in the decor/filter, and the tank was covered (Bettas can jump so it's important to keep the tank covered).

This is Un-named vanishing Betta (a breeder halfmoon):
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/vectishams/Fishy/L1040836.jpg

This was Prince, who died of dropsy (a pet shop halfmoon):
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/vectishams/Fishy/Prince.jpg

This is my current little guy, a petshop veiltail, who lives in a 25L tank with Garfield the apple snail. He's a real little character (which I didn't expect from a fish!)
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/vectishams/fishies/L1070398.jpg
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/vectishams/fishies/L1070051.jpg

I'm loving the Bettas on this thread, though I must resist as I've run out of fish tank space!

Pompompoms
03-04-2012, 01:57 PM
That is completely baffling isn't it :confused::confused:l

They are all beautiful fish though :)

LoveMyHams
03-04-2012, 02:07 PM
I've had 2 jump out too, it was really weird. I found one on the counter (still alive) and got him back in the water. The second one jumped into my hands right before he died. I think it might have been his way of saying good bye.

Yours that disappeared, could he have blended in with the rock on the bottom of the cage? Maybe he died and got covered by rocks he might have been thrown out?

vanilla-yazoo
03-04-2012, 04:10 PM
I dont have any pics right now of my prince, but have some vids of my other tanks
fantails
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j333/vanilla-yazoo/fish/th_VID-20120114-00003.jpg (http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j333/vanilla-yazoo/fish/?action=view&current=VID-20120114-00003.mp4)
my dads cichlid tank (now has more plants)
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j333/vanilla-yazoo/fish/th_VID-20120114-00002.jpg (http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j333/vanilla-yazoo/fish/?action=view&current=VID-20120114-00002.mp4)
and my tropical tank
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j333/vanilla-yazoo/fish/th_VID-20120114-00000.jpg (http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j333/vanilla-yazoo/fish/?action=view&current=VID-20120114-00000.mp4)
I also have my cichlids upstairs, mabuna-tansania (might be wrong on spellings) tank with my gorgeous fontosa! They are due a clean tomorrow so should be able to get a video of them then.
i find its hard to photo sometimes, so i take little vids hehe :D

FluffNoodle
03-04-2012, 09:13 PM
i went to school for fish care and have totally given up keeping my own i find less you do with fish the better off they are but jabba now owns the fish tank and its staying a hammy home
my grandma has a betta shes had it like 4-5 years now