PDA

View Full Version : I hope not.......

sully
02-29-2012, 03:36 PM
I just opened and used a new bag of Megazorb for the first time and havent used it before, always had carefresh. I have sore itchy eyes and a sore throat and runny nose, same as if i had my other allergies which are usually under control with everyday tablets. Anyone else had/got symptoms, i also hope the hammies are going to be okay using it?

kyrilliondaemon
02-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Shame :(
I've heard of cases where the humans have allergies the hams don't though, like one of our ex-members is allergic to aubiose (what we use) but her hams (and ours) are fine on it. Its just a problem for her when cleaning cages is all.

I hope you manage ok with the stuff, or my OH had the bright idea of selling it in smaller bags on ebay and make a profit if you don't want to use it :p

Onion
02-29-2012, 03:40 PM
I sometimes get crawling skin when I use it, but I'm not sure if its that or the spray I use :/

fluffymunchkins
02-29-2012, 04:03 PM
I have flared up in a blistering rash twice after using megazorb *sigh* It also made my eyes water and my throat scratchy. So now its only used for the gerbils.

Aubiose makes me cough, but its usually fine otherwise x

sully
03-01-2012, 09:31 AM
I have offered megazorb to a friend who rescues.I only had enough carefresh left for one more big cage change so a cousin is picking some up for me tonight and i can change the other two back.

p_anda
03-01-2012, 10:59 AM
I used to work in a stables about 3 years ago where the owners used Megazorb for a few ill horses, had itchy eyes/skin after I've been mucking their boxes out...also when I was pouring out Megazorb out of bags all the dust that resulted from it made me cough. This was worse the longer I stayed in a box where the horse's substrate was Megazorb and when I was doing a complete sweep out. So you're not the only one.

racinghamster
03-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Aubiose is a better choice and it`s also a horse substrate. I used both Megazorb and Carefresh in the past and didn`t like either of them. I felt they were very fibrous and smelly. Not something I wanted my small pets breathing in. Hemp bedding is becoming more accepted now, but I air off any bedding I use a good month before exposing my animals to it because I still feel it needs shaking up and airing out as sometimes even hemp can appear a little dusty, but nothing like compared to some other beddings.

jess_jolie
03-01-2012, 11:56 AM
I'm just ordering my Aubiose tonight, finishing off my last half-bag of megazorb and then changing - going to see which I prefer :)

RH where's the best place to order from?

fluffymunchkins
03-01-2012, 01:36 PM
This is the best place I've seen online
AUBIOSE HEMP BEDDING 20KG | Horse Bedding | GJW Titmuss (http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/horse-bedding/pid3742/cid358/aubiose-hemp-bedding-20kg.asp)
Heard its good service though I get mine from a local equine shop x

jess_jolie
03-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Thank you :) I shall order tonight - I've looked at local shop nearish me but they just sell megazorb out of the two.

sully
03-01-2012, 02:13 PM
I had a sample of megazorb from kimx which seemed okay, its a shame as im now too nervous to try anything else.

kyrilliondaemon
03-01-2012, 04:23 PM
For aubiose theres also this (http://www.cotswoldchickens.com/aubiose-bedding-404-p.asp) place thats cheaper for ordering two bales at once.

racinghamster
03-02-2012, 03:29 AM
I get mine from GJW titmus and ordered it one Sunday and it arrived by courier the next day! :o Great service. Aubiose is a nice alternative to shavings, megazorb and pricey Carefresh. I tend to do spot cleans rather than weekly full cage cleans, so it lasts much longer. I`ve found aubiose to be the best substrate around so far. I wish I`d used it when I kept gerbils. It`s low odour although I still put what I need into a storage bin and take it outdoors to give it a good shake and air it off a good month before I need to use it. It`s just something I like to do so that I know I have reduced the scent more than it would be straight from the sack. Just puts my mind at rest that it`s had a good airing.