PDA

View Full Version : Wheel advice for Syrians?

Gust0o
02-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Continuing my trend of asking all-manner of questions, I could now do with some wheel advice.

Traditionally, we've just used larger - generic - wheels, which attach to a wire cage, for Bob.

However, she's soon to be moving to a Gabber Rex - which has an existing spindle, albeit a poor wheel; or, more likely, a free-standing one.

So, what should I look for? I hear a lot about the Wodent Wheels - but how are they versus the Silent Spinners?

What size is ideal for a Syrian? Is 6.5" diameter too small?

I need your opinions Syrian-owners!

Unforunately, I think it's one of the best habits you can have in life, asking questions, so I don't think this will be the last :)

Holly
02-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Unfortunately 6.5cm silent spinners are too small for adult Syrians - I'd go with Wodent Wheels, personally, all the way. They are sized perfectly (Junior size) for most Syrians and they are as quiet as you can get - I peg mine onto the Gabber Rex shelves for maximum quiet :wink:

I find wheels that sit on the Gabber shelf spindle quite rattly - you could try a Savic Jumbo Rolly from P@H but they are too noisy for me.

Gust0o
02-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Just to make things awkward, Alex has just reminded me - Bob is a little claustrophobic.

Sounds bizarre I know - how enclosed are the Wodent Wheelies? Are they open-faced?

If not, what's the best alternative?

Sorry, Holly! :oops:

Holly
02-15-2008, 03:24 PM
No problem - I can talk about hamsters all night :wink:

Wodent wheels aren't open - however I've yet to find a hamster that doesn't love them (sadly some of mine love them too much as I'd like them to grow into chunky show hams and they run off all their food :roll: ).

If you really want an open wheel the only options I know of that are big enough for an adult Syrian are the Savic wheels I mentioned ( they are actually rat wheels) or Comfort Wheels - no idea where yo get those though, I always use wodents.

Gust0o
02-15-2008, 03:29 PM
You reviewed the Gabber, so I'll take your expert opinion (plus it's good to meet someone who can talk hamsters all night)!

I saw, in the review, that all your wheels are Wodents - and I'm guessing they fit perfectly fine into the Gabber?

I keep hearing bad things about that spindle - and it doesn't look like there's a massive amount of space for a new wheel in that opening.

I could risk getting a Wodent - and see if Hobbs will have it if Bob panics. Where do I get one, and how much should I look to pay?

This is all very appreciated Holly!

Gust0o
02-15-2008, 03:37 PM
£8.99, EquineCanineFeline, looks like the best bet - £2 shipping.

Ebay eat your heart out.

I can only find good things about this, from searching Google - guess that will be settling it.

Hanlou
02-15-2008, 04:00 PM
£8.99, EquineCanineFeline, looks like the best bet - £2 shipping.

Ebay eat your heart out.

I can only find good things about this, from searching Google - guess that will be settling it.

If you use Equinecaninefeline, type in FANCYRATS at the checkout in the code box and you'll get 10% off your entire order..... even better! :D

Gust0o
02-15-2008, 04:01 PM
I could get used to this! :)

Spuds Mum
02-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Or if you can wait a short while I am sure Holly will be putting in an order soon!

She has a contact with the American supplier and orders wholesale cost vary depending on the exchange rate but are (I think - Holly will correct me if I am wrong) around about £6.50 and she will then post them for an extra cost. Or arrange to pick it up from a show that Holly can get to?

As I say, I dont know when she will be doing another orde, but she does order regularly (just type in wodent wheel in the forum search to see how she does it etc.)

Basia
02-15-2008, 05:11 PM
All my hamsters had wodent wheels and I would second everything Holly said, they are quiet, large and the hamsters love them.
I have started not giving them to my babies though because they love them a bit too much. I found some large Ferplast wheels on plastic stands which are *almost* as quiet as wodents but the hamsters don't seem to get as obsessed with them. Peaches is running on one in her introduction thread. I have also recently given one to Berry because she has a habit of weeing in her WW and as she has been having some skin problems I thought it might help to have her in an open wheel for a while.
I have had most of my wheels via Holly but did order a couple from EquineCanineFeline and have been very pleased with them.

Holly
02-16-2008, 01:12 AM
I'm just waiting for the current batch to arrive (hopefully any day now as I need several of them for Highworth :shock: ) and then I'll do another order - might as well be immediately as I've already had a couple of people ask me and I need a couple of new ones for my spare cages.

They'll be about £6.40 each plus an extra £1.89 if you need it posting to you within the UK so a bit cheaper than EquineCanineFeline (and you can choose your colour too!) BUT it will be a while before you have it - realistically it will be a couple of weeks before the order goes in and then another couple of weeks for it to arrive.

Gust0o
02-16-2008, 05:10 AM
As luck, a friend has a spare one - so I've arranged to borrow it, to see how Bob reacts.

If all goes according to plan, I'll be in touch Holly.

Thanks for all your help, chaps! :)