PDA

View Full Version : another colour query (with pic)

ami_j
01-31-2008, 04:36 PM
I got a new hamster the other day and just wanted some advice. She looks to me like a Dove dominant spot and this tallies somewhat with what I was told the mum and dad were..a Lilac and a Black banded - though wouldn't one of them have to be dom spot too... I'm sure thats right. Another thing that's foxed me is that she has a lighter patch on her nose and I'm sure other bits look yellowish though the original owner said she just had grey patches. I've enclosed a picture though it doesn't show her off well
hope you can help because I'm baffled
ps if you could confirm that she's Dove that would help loads

Edited for new link this one should work

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e192/ ... C00275.jpg (http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e192/ami_j_1985/DSC00275.jpg)

Holly
01-31-2008, 04:40 PM
I've tried to look at the picture but it says "page not found" :?

She sounds gorgeous anyway!

souffle
02-01-2008, 01:35 AM
Can't really tell from that pic as the body is very whited out though the head looks like a dove to me. Try and get a better pic. Even a good pic does not always show the colour well as you cant look at the undercoat and flash and the lighting can distort the true shade. She looks cute anyway. :lol:

Holly
02-01-2008, 02:21 AM
With a one lilac and one black-banded parent, if she's dove wouldn't dove-banded be more likely? Does she have dove bits at her tail end - could she just have a really big band?

Apologies if I'm wrong - I've not really looked in detail at the genetics of doves or dom-spots yet - I'm just guessing really :oops:

ami_j
02-01-2008, 03:02 AM
shes hard to photo im using my camera phone. i thought she might be a "bad" banded but she has a blaze up her nose too :s
wish i could get a pic of the lighter patch on her nose im sure shes a tort

souffle
02-01-2008, 09:58 AM
You can get a combination of banded and dominant spot however one of the parents needs to be a domi spot as it is as described dominant so it would show. Bands come in various sizes from a tiny patch to covering almost the whole body.

ami_j
02-01-2008, 12:51 PM
That's the confusing thing the person I got her from said she was dominant spot and she does look it. Maybe her mum was Lilac dom spot she just left it out or something

souffle
02-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Lilac is a very uncommon colour and has to be bred for. Do you have a pedigree? You could always ask the breeder to check for you.

ami_j
02-01-2008, 01:12 PM
That's what the breeder told me they were. And that she was dom spot. I'm not convinced however which is why I posted a picture to get an idea of what she could be

babyboos
02-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Lilac is an extremely difficult colour to breed and though many would love to have one they seldom do
I would love to see her in the flesh or failing that some good close up pictures with a real digital camera - do you have any friends with one you could borrow for an hour or so?

Dad was quite possibly carrying Dominant Spot - hence the white nose flash, and she does look to have pale ears too, any pigmentation on them at all?
The two combined are more common than ever due to inexperienced breeding and any hamster with white - banding or otherwise should never be bred to another showing some or all white unless you know very very clearly what they history is to avoid any unwanted adverse gene interations.

ami_j
02-04-2008, 12:31 PM
hello. her left ear has pigment on the top half but her right dosent its all flesh coloured. i will try getting some better pics on the digital camera tomorrow. thought it unlikely she was from a lilac.

babyboos
02-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Like you say unlikely - not impossible but unlikely
I look forward to seeing the pictures when you get them