PDA

View Full Version : Felix has a tumour :(

I_am_plankton
01-28-2008, 10:02 AM
I always check my hamsters daily or every 2 days for lumps and bumps, cuts and anything else out of the norm.

I was cleaning Felix out and had him in the downstairs toilet, when I turned him over to check his underside and there it was, a big pink mass near his armpit (which I have been told in the past is very common with dwarf hams). It definately wasn't there on Saturday because I checked him thoroughly. The poor mite bit me when I touched it, it must be a bit painful.

The vet says that there is nothing that can be done, since we have tried Baytril in the past on tumours and it actually makes things worse rather than improves anything. We are going to leave it and see how he goes, it is more than likely benign apparently but then he said that about Orchid's tumours and she developed 4 of them in the space of 2 weeks!

Felix isn't that old, I was told around 6 months when I had him, so would make him roughly 13/14 months old now, but of course he might be older than that. I don't seem to have much luck with hamsters and illnesses, they always seem to get ill of something, be it tumours, pyometra, skin diseases etc :(

I wonder whether it is because he is a hybrid and they tend to have dI always check my hamsters daily or every 2 days for lumps and bumps, cuts and anything else out of the norm.

Holly
01-28-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about Felix, Leanne :(

I'll keep everything crossed that it is benign and slow-growing and that it doesn't make him feel ill.

souffle
01-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Poor little Felix. Keep an eye in case it is an abcess as it has come on quickly. Here's hoping it does not grow and lets him keep up with a happy normal routine.

Mollz
01-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Sorry to hear this Leanne. I Have my fingers crossed that it doesn't cause him too much pain and is benign.
You are both in my thoughts.

Nicolapompicola
01-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Sorry to hear that :(

I don't know if it will help, but maybe try him on a diet high in anti-oxidants, (raw broccoli ect) may help him, as it may help to keep his immune system boosted.. Some immonostimulants may also help him, such as prickly pear extract. :)

Spuds Mum
01-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Oh poor Felix and poor you. You must be so worried about him. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is benign, and that it will grow so slowly that it doesn't worry him at all. x

I_am_plankton
01-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks all, I am worried for him since he hasn't been here long, only since May (i guess that is the downside of rescues?).

Nicola where can I buy the extract in liquid form? I am going to google anti-oxidants to see what I can give him, however he has a really varied diet and I give him vitamins in his food as I do with the other 2 older hamsters here. I will try your suggestions :)

Anyone know of anything else that might help? I have the book In Sickness and In Health by Sheila Adby but there are no homeopathic suggestions for tumours :(

Basia
01-28-2008, 03:15 PM
oh Leanne I'm sorry to hear Felix has a lump. I know you will give him all the care and love he needs but hope someone is giving you some love and care too.

Nicolapompicola
01-28-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure if it's available in the Uk, or not, all the websites i've came up with where American.. Another immunostimulant is Beta Glucans, which are available in the uk. :) Your hammy would really only need a tiny amount of them though. It may be worth talking to you vet before giving him them them though, even if it's just to work out a dose for him. :)