PDA

View Full Version : Is this stuff okay to feed Sammy?

sammys/mum
01-27-2008, 06:40 AM
I give him a teaspoon or so of Harry Hamster food every day, a pinch of oats and two cheerios. Plus he has a monkey nut once or twice a day and a small piece of veggie when he wakes up. I have only just put the oatmeal and cheerios in yesterday. I'm worried he might have too much fat/protien whatever in his diet!
Thanks

suga
01-27-2008, 06:47 AM
Sounds very tasty :-).
I give similiar except I don't give cherios - not sure about them... bit of veg, chicken, porridge, apple, grape, tiny peice of banana - all okay..

Hanlou
01-27-2008, 12:44 PM
The only thing I would say about cheerios is that they are very sugary - 22% sugar - so I would say they would be better as a treat than as part of his staple diet. :)

I only know this because I checked when making my rats food up...

sammys/mum
01-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Oh right, I thought they were oaty or whatever they tell us on the advert! Okay! Thanks!

souffle
01-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Harry hamster is a good balanced diet. We feed a small handfull every 2nd day so they eat a bit more of everything. I would say the cheerios are too sweet but you could pick the odd raisin out the muisli for him and a treat of a bit of egg, chicken, tofu or porridge is appreciated.

Hanlou
01-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Oh right, I thought they were oaty or whatever they tell us on the advert! Okay! Thanks!

You'd be surprised how many so-called 'healthy cereals' are chock full of sugar... :shock:

Just check the percentage per 100grams on the side of the box, you'll be surprised! :wink:

Holly
01-28-2008, 01:19 AM
Yes and the ones loaded with sugar are all the ones aimed at kids - try telling a 10 year old that so called "healthy cereals" actually aren't :roll: