PDA

View Full Version : Russian dwarf hamsters

Chloe xx
01-14-2012, 07:35 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and i just wanted to ask afew questions.
I've had syrian hamsters before and I am planning to get a pair of russians for my birthday, I have afew questions to ask first though.

1. I am planning on getting a zoozone 2 which I will mesh with 6mm mesh. Is this a good cage?
2. I want a silent spinner 6.5 inch. Would i need two if i was to get a pairof hamsters?
3. What toys do you recommend?
4. Are woodshavings ok to use?
5. I live in grimsby, UK are there any hamster breeders you know of?

Could you post some pics of your zoozones please?

Thanks Chloe xx

Jandrhamster
01-14-2012, 12:56 PM
yes the zz2 is a very good cage and therefore i recommend it. for russian dwarf hamsters i would personally get two of the silent spinners and i think they are big enough. the zz2 is a very big cage.... so going smaller would'nt make a difference tbh. so maybe a zoozone 1 which is smaller. but same goes it still needs to be meshed etc. and im not too sure about the toys. :rolleyes:

kyrilliondaemon
01-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Er... I answered this in your other thread about it.
Which kinda has all the answers you need other than more examples of zoozone setups.

And actually... Get the ZZ2. You planned to, so get it. Its much bigger than the ZZ1 and gives the hams more space, more freedom and more toys without it being crowded.
I spent ages debating between the two recently and the ZZ2 was by far the best choice, we had to work to fit two into our flat but it was more than worth it and is a lot better for the hams if you can do it.

Just because they can have smaller doesn't mean they should. That'd be like saying "my hamster was ok in its peggy metro cage, so I don't need to rush to get it a hamster heaven because it wasn't unhappy in something much smaller" when the minimum reccomendations for any ham are bigger than said peggy metro.

Jandrhamster
01-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Er... I answered this in your other thread about it.
Which kinda has all the answers you need other than more examples of zoozone setups.

And actually... Get the ZZ2. You planned to, so get it. Its much bigger than the ZZ1 and gives the hams more space, more freedom and more toys without it being crowded.
I spent ages debating between the two recently and the ZZ2 was by far the best choice, we had to work to fit two into our flat but it was more than worth it and is a lot better for the hams if you can do it.

Just because they can have smaller doesn't mean they should. That'd be like saying "my hamster was ok in its peggy metro cage, so I don't need to rush to get it a hamster heaven because it wasn't unhappy in something much smaller" when the minimum reccomendations for any ham are bigger than said peggy metro.

no! i didnt say they need smaller. I told her i recommend the zz2. and i know that the savic peggy metro is too small but atm I need to sell some stuff first and make some room which is why i am getting the zz2.

Hamtastic
01-14-2012, 01:27 PM
1. I am planning on getting a zoozone 2 which I will mesh with 6mm mesh. Is this a good cage?
Yes, this is an excellent cage! Especially for more than one ham if you introduce them to it when they are little.

2. I want a silent spinner 6.5 inch. Would i need two if i was to get a pairof hamsters?
Yes, two 6.5" silent spinners will be excellent. You can also add a 6.5" Flying Saucer for more exercise fun. I have a 2 regular wheel and 1 flying saucer set up for my two Campbell boys, and they zoom between all 3 wheels.

3. What toys do you recommend?
Tunnel type toys, like wooden tunnels with holes. Driftwood pieces, cork rounds. I'd recommend an open nest under a bent log bridge or similar, some sort of a bowl for a sand bath. Avoid enclosed sand baths, as hams tend to make nests in them and stuff bedding there, thus defeating the purpose of a sand bath for cleaning :D

4. Are woodshavings ok to use?
They are, but in the U.K., it will mostly be kiln-dried pine. Some hams seem to have allergic reactions to it, so watch for any itchy behavior/mites or fur loss. As I understand it, most use those shavings without any issues.

Could you post some pics of your zoozones please?
I've not used a ZZ2 specifically, more ZZ1s and similar and larger aquaria, but here's my boys' layout has a floor size almost the same as ZZ2 (given that ZZ2's walls curve in at the bottom).
http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/attachments/housing/7607d1326573073-russian-dwarf-hamsters-p1010383.jpg

kyrilliondaemon
01-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Ok.
Since you mentioned going smaller it sounded like a suggestion, especially with "maybe a zoozone 1" since it seemed odd to be mentioning that unless it was a suggestion.
And yeah I know you know about the peggy metro it was just the first cage I thought of was all.
Ah well, misunderstanding cleared anyway :)
Now back to useful comments lol