PDA

View Full Version : Housing/Healthcare question - 2 yo slowing down syrian - downsizing?

s.wilson
01-10-2012, 06:43 AM
I wasnt too sure which forum to post this in as it is both a housing and a healthcare question but here goes anyway...

I have a male 2 year old syrian who has significantly slowed down in the past couple of months. He has stopped running in his wheel, has lost interest in his hanging treats and toys (ie toilet tube scrunched up with treats inside hanging from the bars for him to chew his way into) and spends the majority of time sleeping.

Aside from strong smelling urine - a sign of his age as I believe it and the occasional sticky eyes he is otherwise happy and healthy.

He is currently living in a zoozone 2. I was wondering whether it would be worth moving him back into his old zooone 1 or whether it's best to keep him where he is? He copes very well with being moved from cage to cage (having gone through 4 cage upgrades in his life - addictive isnt it?) and was very happy in his zoozone1 before he got the ultimate upgrade.

I'm in two minds because on the one hand, he'd have less far to go for his food and he might be more comfortable in the smaller cage but on the other hand he might not get the exercise still needed to keep him healthy in the smaller cage, especially if he's no longer interested in his wheel.

I'm quite the novice with hamsters so your thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

StarlightSerenity
01-10-2012, 06:46 AM
I'd keep him where he is but shuffle things around a bit to ensure that if he won't or can't move too far one day then he doesn't have to but still has access to the larger area for days when he's feeling more spritely :)

Jandrhamster
01-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Bella (3 years old) urine is horribly strong. So its not just you I think its normal? and I would keep him where he is too. as moving hamsters when they're older can stress them out so its probably best to keep him in the zz2. in my opinion

souffle
01-10-2012, 09:27 AM
I agree with leaving him be. He will be settled and happy there so let him enjoy it for his old age! Our oldies do enjoy a dish of soft food though like porridge or baby food. :)

Demecat
01-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Strong smelling urine isn't just for elderly hamsters. My Rory, who has had urine problems has very strong smelling stuff.

I would remove his wheel and more active toys, but give him more nests/boxes to hide in everywhere. Try and put his food near his water, so if he's having a bad day, he is close to both.

Since he is not as active, you'll need to keep an eye on his teeth and claws, clipping as needed.

s.wilson
01-10-2012, 12:08 PM
thanks for the responses! It is very much appreciated. As I said, I'm quite the novice with hamsters so wasnt sure the best thing for him.

I'll leave him as he is and do what you all suggest with shuffling things around a bit and putting food and water close to his bed. As it is his bed is one corner and the water is directly opposite so he hasnt got far to go for that. Food on the other hand has been kept right down the other end of the cage thinkin it'd be good to keep him active making him walk for his food but i'll change that so it's all close for him.

As for his teeth, he is still chomping on his parsley teepee a lot so im not worried about his teeth atm but i will keep an eye on it if he goes off of it.

I will take his wheel out too. He's definately not using it - I put a mark on the wheel to see whether its moved at all or not during the night and it hasnt since before christmas. I'll try putting it back in in a few weeks and see whether he uses it after a bit of absence and if not i'll just take it out for good.

I'll give him plenty of boxes/houses to hide in though he does have three in there at the moment and he just kicks his substrate into them to block them up within a few hours of them being put in and then doesnt bother with them after that (silly boy).

I keep looking at the cage setup thread to get ideas, so if anyone has an elderly ham set up and wants to share......(hint hint, lol)

Thanks again folks!

fluffymunchkins
01-11-2012, 06:17 AM
As long as he is having no problems with his mobility and is happy where he is, then hes fine to stay in the zoozone :)

I usually downsize elderly hams when I feel necessary, not sure if these set ups will help you.
Peggy (robo) was over 2 years old and moved from a zoozone 2 to a gabber rex, she became very wobbly on her legs in her old age.
Before:
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx57/Piggylicious2009/Peggys%20cage/DSCF0349.jpg
After:
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx57/Piggylicious2009/hamster%20cages/DSCF1221.jpg

Treo is nearing 2 years now so downsized from a gabber rex to a mini duna, though he has mobility problems. Hence such a boring cage layout, even the sand bath has been removed now as he is having skin treatment!
Before:
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx57/Piggylicious2009/hamster%20cages/DSCF1943.jpg
After:
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx57/Piggylicious2009/hamster%20cages/DSCF2947.jpg

s.wilson
01-11-2012, 04:52 PM
thank you for the pictures fluffymunchkins, they are very instructive