PDA

View Full Version : Still not sure about introducing another.

genevieve
01-03-2012, 03:40 PM
I have a single robo, Rose, who lived with another robo (Blue) for most of her life. She's about a year old now, and Blue died about 4 months ago. Since then, Rose has not been the same. She comes out of hiding less and less, and she now squeals during any attempt to handle her (even though she was always the bolder, friendly ham). She just doesn't seem happy now, no matter how many toys I give her. I definitely believe this is due to Blue passing away.

For so long, I've been considering introducing another robo to her (split cage method, I have a divider ready), but I'm still not sure. And the longer I wait, the more I'm not sure because she's getting older. I do believe that another friend might bring her back out of her shell again, but she was always the dominant hamster, not sure if that's an indication of the likelihood of her getting along with another. My gut instinct says it would be good for her, but I'm still not sure.

Thoughts, everyone? Really want to do what's best for Rose.

Pompompoms
01-03-2012, 07:06 PM
It is hard to see them struggle alone, two of my boys are currently on their own waiting for Mr Poms to build the divide for reintroduction which now Christmas is over is next on the ham list. Both are much quieter, and far less confident then when they were paired up.

It is possible Rose will settle still, but she may just feel very vunerable. A year isn't too old to introduce a friend, Rose will hopefully live another year at least yet. As you have the divide ready, and know what you're doing, your only decision is being honest about whether you can keep another single robo should it not work as that's what you would need to be prepared to do. Whether you have the time and the finances to care for two single little ones.

If you can, there are many many single robos that need rescuing that you could give a lovely home to. My advice would be try to find a girl around about the same age, if not, six months old at least. Only as the hormones tend to surge between four and six months making introductions more tricky.

Good luck with your choice :D

genevieve
01-04-2012, 04:40 AM
Thank you :) I'm thinking I'm definitely going to attempt it, and if it doesn't work out then of course I will have to keep them separately. I have a spare bin the same size as Rose's though, so it shouldn't be a problem.

fluffymunchkins
01-04-2012, 06:47 AM
I'd agree, its worth a try :)
I know some robos have been introduced even past 2 years and got on extremely well.

Was she dominant or submissive when she lived with Blue?
I find this can sometimes help to know.

genevieve
01-04-2012, 08:14 AM
As mentioned briefly in my original post, Rose was the dominant hamster of the two, and this is where my slight concerns come from...

fluffymunchkins
01-04-2012, 09:11 AM
It will depend on the hamster you introduce. As they can flip roles.
Squishy was dominate over his brother, yet submitted immediately to Rowena when she was introduced to him (as she was dominant).

Fingers crossed x

genevieve
01-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Thank you both :) x

Pompompoms
01-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Squishy was dominate over his brother, yet submitted immediately to Rowena when she was introduced to him (as she was dominant).

This reminded me so much of when my big bad Juggernaut The Cloud met the tiny tiny dainty little Bianca for the first time. He sniffed her, she squarked at him and batted him round the head, then stomped over him. That was the pecking order from then on :D

He was so surprised he couldn't cope, had a mini panic attack and ran up my arm for a comfort cuddle before he could try his charms again ;)