PDA

View Full Version : 12-inch Silent Spinners!

Peachesmum
01-03-2012, 03:31 AM
I have one of these, as well as an 11-inch Trixie wheel! Like many people, I found the large Silent Spinner to be anything but silent when I had it in the cage, so I then put it in her playpen instead - however, I am very pleased to report that it fits (just!) into the Ferplast Mary and is much more silent now that I am using woodshavings underneath Carefresh (I just used Carefresh before, and the 'Silent' Spinner banged repeatedly on the floor of the cage!!) :eek:

The woodshavings help to hold it firmly in place, and Peaches had a lovely time on it last night, as her Trixie is a bit rattly now and doesn't turn so easily. The Silent Spinner had a lovely smooth sound worthy of its name and gave Peaches a lovely run, and me a lovely sleep! Recommended!! :D

Jodzie04
01-03-2012, 03:35 AM
I had the same problem with this wheel but I put some cardboard under the woodshavings and it bounces with the wheel =)

Peachesmum
01-03-2012, 04:03 AM
I had the same problem with this wheel but I put some cardboard under the woodshavings and it bounces with the wheel =)

Tried the cardboard trick, and yes it bounces!! But also some cages (like my Duna Large) have a patterned base (ggrr) whereas the Ferplast Mary has a smoother floor so there's less for it to bounce on! I've just found that burying the stand in woodshavings really works! :D

edelawder
01-04-2012, 12:05 PM
My silent spinner tapped against the bottom of my hamsters aquarium as well. I wrapped the metal in white yarn and it hasn't bothered me since!

kyrilliondaemon
01-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Yeah we find its sometimes louder than the trixie 11 inch Scamp also has, but its really good if you get it stable on the bedding. Just needs to be definetly stable lol
Oh and you need to check its all screwed on properly - ours was loose for a while and then it made a racket.

Is a great wheel other than needing to be very stable though :)
I have to say I wasn't brave enough to try and get it into Scamps hamster heaven though, I put it in her bin and moved the trixie from the bin into the hamster heaven. Doesn't bother her since she has such a big cage she could probably get by without a wheel, just means she has two choices for where to run lol

Hamtastic
01-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Try wrapping duck tape in a thick spiral around the bottom of the silent spinner stand. It has helped with noise for my two medium SSs a lot, and I could even place them on the very bottom of the glass aquarium.

Teddybearhamster420
01-04-2012, 09:46 PM
My silent spinner tapped against the bottom of my hamsters aquarium as well. I wrapped the metal in white yarn and it hasn't bothered me since!

Hey, Thats a great idea! :D:D:D

Hamtastic
01-04-2012, 09:52 PM
I should have added: it works for any wheel on a wire stand :D It also makes the base more skid-resistant. I wrap the sharp edges of the wodent wheel bases in duck tape too so they don't bang on the walls of my aquaria.

Peachesmum
01-05-2012, 04:35 AM
I should have added: it works for any wheel on a wire stand :D It also makes the base more skid-resistant. I wrap the sharp edges of the wodent wheel bases in duck tape too so they don't bang on the walls of my aquaria.

Would they not chew the duct tape? :confused:

Hamtastic
01-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Mine kind of nibbled it for a bit and didn't care. I had that tape on for a long time and there were only a few tooth marks on it.

Peachesmum
01-06-2012, 01:12 AM
Another huge advantage with these wheels over Wodent Wheels is they are much higher up, and since Peaches builds a big open nest behind one corner of the wheel, that means she can make it as deep as she likes without the wheel getting stuck \\:D/