PDA

View Full Version : Seeds and nuts

monalipschitz
01-16-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm trying to find a selection of healthy treats to feed my Russian Dwarf and nuts and seeds seem like a good bet. His museli already contains sunflower seeds and peanuts but what are the others that it's safe for him to eat? And are there any he mustn't have?

Ghostofarose
01-16-2008, 03:59 PM
I feed Prestige to my Robos as their staple diet, http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/f ... food/33289 (http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/food/hamster_food/33289) and just add Trill budgie seed and dried mealworms. Below is a list I made up from a selection of online guides and books specifically for dwarfies. To my knowledge, you should go easy or exclude fruit for diabetic reasons! Hope this helps...

Fresh Food

Asparagus
Broccoli
Cauliflower Leaves & Stalks
Celery
Corn-on-the-cob
Cress
Cucumber
Grapes
Orange
Parsley
Pear
Peas
Strawberries
Swede
Turnip
Water Chestnuts
Watermelon

Wild Plants

Acorns
Chickweed
Clover
Dandelion Leaves & Flower
Dock
Groundsel
Sow Thistle
Watercress
Young Grass
Blackberry Leaves
Raspberry Leaves
Apple Wood

Other Treats

Fresh Or Stale Bread
Boiled Or Scrambled Egg
Breakfast Cereal
Cake
Cheese
Cooked Fish
Cooked Meat (Avoid Pork)
Crickets
Mealworms
Plain Biscuit
Prunes
Raisins
Sultanas
Toast
Canned Puppy Food
Monkey Chow
Budgie Seed
Alfalfa Pellets

~Katie

monalipschitz
01-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks :D I'm looking for some other titbits to feed him when I handle him. I've tried a number of the things on the fresh list and he'll only eat the sugary stuff (even though I tear it into tiny pieces I'm worried about it) which is why I thought seeds and nuts would make the best treat. They're easily stored, readily available and won't rot in his store. Perfect ;)

It's just knowing which he's allowed to eat. I know he likes some of them because they were in an xmas cookie but I don't know which ones.

poohbearhamsty
01-21-2008, 12:54 PM
I recently went out to my local supermarket and bought my hamsters some nuts and seeds - sunflower seeds, redskin peanuts, dried bananas, raisins and mixed seeds - but I then noticed a change in the fur on their backs - it looked wet when I normally noticed it is very dry - I know that too many sunflower seeds can cause skin problems so is the fur unusual or is it just wet from grooming...... :?