PDA

View Full Version : 15kg sacks of Harry Hamster

Faye
01-16-2008, 11:28 AM
does anyone buy the 15kg sacks of Harry Hamster? if so, does it stay fresh for long enough etc.?
I was looking to buy a 5kg sack or something,but I can only find it in 850g or 15kg
This is to feed 1 syrian, 4 WWs and as a base for a mix for 4 gerbils and 3 mice (so not huge no.s of animals), should I go for the huge sack or stick to the little'uns? (bearing in mind that the 15kg sack works out at around half the price per kilo)

Holly
01-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Hmmm...interesting idea, we have 16 hams and use a little under a bag a week now.

Say we use 4 bags a month that's 4 x 850g = 3400g a month. That means a 5kg bag would last us not even 2 months - I'd say it would probably keep fresh for that long - especially if stored in an airtight bin. Only thing I'd worry about is the amount of crushed dregs at the bottom of the big bag :?

Where do you get the 5kg bags from?

Incidentally I was in the petshop today and Harry now comes in a new design bag! I get mine from Wilko's though - they've still got the old style bags.....

Faye
01-16-2008, 11:49 AM
yes, I like the new bags! :lol:
it's a 15kg sack not 5kg :shock: I guess that'd last me 6months :o
15kg for under £20... google 'Harry Hamster 15kg' for stockists - there are a few...

souffle
01-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Lots of pet shops buy this then bag it in 1kg to sell on. Some of the larger breeders also buy it. Personally I would not buy such a large amount at once as we would take quite some time to use it but the main problem I find is that when opened you sometimes get little beetles in it, like flour beetles which can come in the bag as eggs then hatch. It is not anything you can help it is just part and parcel of using grain type feed. With the price of Harry only £1.17 a kilo in Wilkos that means that 15kg is not really that expensive and about the same as a large bag if you factor in delivery or petrol etc. You also have to store the large sack somewhere!

Faye
01-16-2008, 12:31 PM
I didn't realise it was that cheap in Wilkos... must make a trip! that's if I can handle the old style packaging :? I do kinda like the new packaging... :lol:

I_am_plankton
01-16-2008, 12:31 PM
I don't buy HH but I buy a 15kg sack of a pet food from Batleys (wholesale distributor) from Sue of BVH for £9 and it lasts me around a year but I store it in the garage and make up batches for the house as the garage keeps it fresh :)[/quote]

Holly
01-16-2008, 01:18 PM
it's a 15kg sack not 5kg :shock:

Oops - don't think I'd go for that then :?

I get my HH from Wilko's as well as their 59p paper bedding that looks like j-cloths - bargains, both of them!

DonnaB
01-16-2008, 01:29 PM
I get my HH from Wilko's as well as their 59p paper bedding that looks like j-cloths - bargains, both of them!

Me too, the food is good and really cheap, and that J cloth bedding is lovely, I'd never have anything else (well Luna), and great value.... I'm always in Wilkinsons so its really convenient for me. :D

Faye
01-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Ok, a trip to Wilkos it is then! :lol: thanks guys :D

souffle
01-16-2008, 03:01 PM
The j cloth bedding is the best and also the long paper strandy white stuff is good for long hairs but you have to chop it up a bit. The pennine balls and the plastic play tubes are good value and ours like those hang up wood chews from there. Its a great place for pets.

Nicolapompicola
01-16-2008, 03:04 PM
the cages, although not huge are also great, especially as an emergancy cage/ carrying cage! :lol:

Spuds Mum
01-16-2008, 03:32 PM
I actually do buy the 15k bags of HH and get through it in about 2 months. Once opened we keep it in a storage box with a sealed lid (had no problems so far with beetles etc. (yuk)

babyboos
01-16-2008, 05:06 PM
I get my Harry from Bately's but then there are no Wilkos up here in Scotland - and due to the number of hamsters I have I get the large sacks, and touch wood, have had very little beetle problems, but then I keep the food in large grain tubs outside next to the dog food, bird seeds and megazorb etc on my family's farm. I would go with the smaller bags if you can, it really is easier with a small number of hamsters.