PDA

View Full Version : guide to taking care of hammies for new owners

Matty Day
01-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Can you rate this guide for people who im going to sell pups toan suggest any improvements to it.

Congratulations for purchasing your new pet.

This is a basic guide designed to help you care for your hamster. And if followed will ensure that your new Chinese hamster will have a long happy life

Your hamsters details

Name

Sex

Dob

Colour

Mother

Farther

General care
Housing
your hamster/hamsters should have a cage which is at least 12 inches wide by 15 inches long and 12inches high however the bigger the better. And your cage should include a wheel/wheels, water bottle, food dish. House and some tunnels. With Chinese hamsters if your are using a wire cage make sure that the bars are no more further apart than 0.7mm.

Cage mates
Chinese hamsters are social however fighting may occur if your have bought a pair of Chinese hamsters be vigilant if you see them fighting seriously and for long periods of time. and or bite marks cuts etc separate them into different cages as the fighting will only get worse.

Diet
when you purchase your hamster/hamsters you will have been provided with a bit or there current food keep them on this and when this runs out give them a hamster mix of your choice. And make sure to give your hamster/hamsters some fresh food at least one a week however introduce fresh foods slowly into there diet.

Breeding
If you have bought your hamster for breeding purposes we will only provide either a single hamster of the sex of your choice or on of both sexes from different litters and parents and they will be separated as it is cruel to breed a hamster under four months of age as they are still growing. And if you have bought a pair for non breeding purpose we can guarantee they will be the same sex so no surprise litters.

souffle
01-15-2008, 12:28 PM
I do not think it is detailed enough Matty. We have a much more comprehensive guide for out pups. There are some extracts here
http://custardhamstery.piczo.com/?g=23010816&cr=3
We provide a full pedigree, plus we usually get the cage from the new owner before the pups leave and settle them in. This minimises stress when they move to the new owner.

I think the cage size you have given is way to small. particularly for more than one hamster.
You should stress that Chinese are not really very sociable and frequently need separated so buyers of pairs should be very aware of this. With regard to diet, any new food should be introduced by gradual addition to the old diet to make a slow change so the system can adapt. Suggest types of suitable fresh food and protein and what NOT to give.
I would not mention breeding at all except to discourage people from breeding without research and experience.
Always give your details and offer help and advice throughout the life of the animal. As a responsible breeder no animal bred by you should ever have to go into rescue so we state that should the new owner ever be unable to keep or care for a hamster we have bred that the hamster will be returned to us.
I hope this helps.