PDA

View Full Version : is it just dwarfs that are hybrids

POLAR WHITES
12-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Hi all I have a dark eared white Syrian hamster I adopted I was just asking is it only the dwarfs that can be hybirds or can syrians be to thanks :p

Eleanor
12-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Only winter white and campbell russians can be hybrids, the rest cannot breed together :)
So it wont be hybrid but maybe inbred.

vanilla-yazoo
12-06-2011, 03:18 PM
all can be in bred, like mother to son, this can happen in pet shops, but syrians cant be crossed with any other type of hamster.
theres no way of knowing what a pet shop genes are, but some breeders do in breding but under special conditons, but you will have no problem with a syrian :D

Katty_Sheldon
12-07-2011, 02:08 AM
Syrians are not called "hybrids", that definition is only for dwarfs, enjoy!

Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
12-07-2011, 02:56 AM
Well basically what the others said but in a little more detail :)

A hybrid is a cros between two different species (Such as the cross between lions and tigers to make the two hybrid species ligers and tions) Unfortunately this crossing of species often leads to a lot of health problems.
Campbell's Russian Dwarfs and Winter White Russian Dwarfs are the only different species of hamster which can breed together successfully because both have the same number of chromosomes unlike the other hamster species. The hybrid of these two is called the Russian Hybrid. :) Because Syrians can only breed successfully with other Syrians they cannot become hybrids. :)