PDA

View Full Version : Fourpaws Hamster crunch

Nicolapompicola
01-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I've just been looking around the dodson & horrel/chudleys site when i came across this new food.

the ingredients are:

Wheat, maize, full fat soya, grass, dehulled soya, oatfeed, beans, prairie meal, apple pommace, peas, barley, unmolassed beet pulp, aspen, full fat linseed, dicalcium phosphate, glucose syrup, apple pieces, sunflower seeds, tomato flakes, soya hulls, nettle, limestone, salt, blackcurrant extract, radish, turmeric with EC permitted antioxidants: mixed tocopherols, vitamin C and rosemary extract.

and nutritionaly it looks like this:

Protein 19.0%
Oil 5.0 %
Fibre 8.5 %
Ash 7.0%
Vitamin A 1 3,000 iu/kg
Vitamin D 1,000 iu/kg
Vitamin E 150 mg/kg
(as alpha tocopherol acetate)
Copper 15 mg/kg
(as copper sulphate)

It says on the site that there are no artificial colours or preservatives..

What do you think of it?

Holly
01-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Well.....comparing it to Harry Hamster (the ultimate hamster food to me!) it looks pretty good.

The protein content (19%) is the same a Harry and the other ingredients look qute simillar. I'm not a hamster nutrition expert so that's about all I can say really - except that I like the sound of no artificial colours and preservatives.

For me though Harry is brilliant as well as being cheap (£1.19)and easy to get hold of (Wilkinson's) ...it would take an awful lot for me to change!

Nicolapompicola
01-06-2008, 03:07 PM
the last bag of harry hamster food i had had BRIGHT green biscuits in, which really put me off it alot.. :(

I think i may try some of this, just to see what it's like.. I'd use pascoes hamster health but getting hold of it's like finding hen's teeth! :x

Holly
01-07-2008, 02:54 AM
I'm not keen on the bright biscuits in HH either and it does list colours (obvioulsy :roll: ) on the ingredients list - I've no idea why as hamsters don't care what colour the biscuits are :P

Another thing I do like about Harry is that it contains a "natural prebiotic" which is to maintain beneficial acids in the stomach and reduce the risk of tummy upsets. I've never had a hamster with diarrhoea and given that it can be common in Syrians I do wonder of feeding Harry has helped in that respect.

You'll have to let us know what it's like when you get it, it does sound interesting.

souffle
01-07-2008, 03:59 AM
I agree about Harry Hamster as we have always fed this and have never had a hamster with diaorrhoea either. I am sure it is down to the food. All our hammies live to a good old age so I don't think the hammies suffer from the colours and they are just a marketing ploy for the general public who do like a nice colourful food!