PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to the bradford show?

Jane
01-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Who's going to the bradford show later this month then? Am I right thinking hamsters is on the saturday (26th) not the sunday (27th)??

Might take Charliebum just for pets, not sure..went last year and it was fun seeing all the animals :D

Jane

Holly
01-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Me me me!!! Yes you are right that the show is Saturday 26th.

I'm really looking forward to it, I know it's a massive so I don't expect we'll do well but, after thinking I'd just come to watch, I've decided to enter enough hams for all our show pens and just go for it.

Hope to see you there, Jane :)

souffle
01-06-2008, 11:22 AM
We are going but we have not decided whether to enter or just enoy our day and do pets! One hint Holly. Take a picnic! :lol:

Spuds Mum
01-06-2008, 11:47 AM
We should be there too. I was wondering about entering mine with it being a huge show but then thought - what the heck - so I think we will be, like Holly entering as many as the pens we have. we will also be taking little no-name to her new home with Sue so that will be the last of Princesses litters gone to their permanent home!
Will you be entering Molly Holly? I dont think we will take Sabine or Amelie, I was thinking if its such a large show it may not be a good experience for their first show.

Jane
01-06-2008, 11:51 AM
We took food last year too, glad we did aswell..it looked rather expensive in there.

Is there an entry fee?

Holly
01-06-2008, 02:31 PM
One hint Holly. Take a picnic! :lol:

Oh dear - expensive, huh? :? And five days before pay day in the longest (6 week) month of the year - picnic it is then!

Will you be entering Molly Holly? I dont think we will take Sabine or Amelie, I was thinking if its such a large show it may not be a good experience for their first show.

I hadn't really decided yet, I'm waiting to see how she is when the deadline for entries approaches. She's so laid back and confident I'm not too sure it would bother her but you are right it will be a long and noisy day so perhaps it would be best not to.

I'm defintely not bringing Minnie as she struggled to cope with Kingswinford and took a week to settle down. I'll try her at Highworth and see how she goes, if she hates it I won't make her do it any more.

souffle
01-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Jane it is £7 for adults and £3 for juniors entry. Quite steep I think when you have paid entry fees too. The food is mainly quite big stuff like steak pie & chips and main meals etc and is pricey. It is also hard to get a seat as there are few tables so Tuna rolls on the side of the place for us. It is in a large high aircraft hanger type place at the showground and I found it chilly. Hammies are on Saturday and pet judging is at 2pm, entries on the day. There are however lots of lovely bunnies and piggies, rats, degus etc and display stands and sales stalls for rvrtything from hamster coffins to food and bedding.

Holly
01-07-2008, 02:44 AM
It is a bit steep, I think I'll have to get the entry fees from the parents of all the children-who-aren't-mine who will be coming with me this time.

I need to wrok out where I'm going as it's quite a long way for us, we do have (distant) family in Harrogate so I've been up there a few times but I don't know the showground at all - I don't want to be late for this one :shock:

souffle
01-07-2008, 04:04 AM
You can print out a free route on the AA routefinder site Holly and they are quite reliable. I think the postcode is on the schedule. Have you got a journal and schedule yet? We haven't.

Holly
01-07-2008, 04:08 AM
You can print out a free route on the AA routefinder site Holly and they are quite reliable. I think the postcode is on the schedule. Have you got a journal and schedule yet? We haven't.

No journal yet either, souffle - I'll do a route plan once it arrives :)

souffle
01-07-2008, 04:10 AM
The schedule is on HamsterForum if you want to check it out. I will try and copy it here.

Bunsey
01-13-2008, 12:30 PM
i'm coming. it's a very long way for us, about 3 hours i think, but with it being such a massive thing, we are going to do it. I'm glad you mentioned about the food and availability of tables. we'll have to bring our own drinks and at least snacks.
when we went to the Stafford show, that was with rabbits, rats, mice, piggies etc. and i loved it. the food there was really expensive though and not much choice. i think it cost me £5 for sandwich and a drink!

i'll be entering paddy and oscar. we only own 1 dwarf pen and 1 syrian, so i tend not to show max since we split him from paddy. he always did much worse than paddy anyway

Spuds Mum
01-13-2008, 12:34 PM
I still can't make up my mind whether to enter any or not....hmmm
But it will be nice to see you there Bunsey (and of course Paddy and Oscar) :x

Holly
01-13-2008, 12:46 PM
It will be nice to see you there, Bunsey :)

Come on Teresa - bring 'em all! :P

Bunsey
01-13-2008, 12:50 PM
i just put my entries in (i have a habit of forgetting) and i noticed there's no novice category! :o

Spuds Mum
01-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Hmm all 17? (including Sue's girl).
Well I dont know, I am thinking of just doing it for fun (as I usually do anyway)
and also entering Bronte, Amelie and Sabine, along with BBean (oo did you see that - I have a bean too!)
and Dubs then of course there's Vala (who has settled at 256g now! so how many is that?......6....
1 LH cream
1 SH cream
1 LH AOC
2 LH satin
1 SH golden
I guess thats not a bad spread of classes is it? :roll:
I will see what Arti says...who are you bringing?
But more important than who am I bringing - who will I be taking home??? :wink:

Spuds Mum
01-13-2008, 12:59 PM
i just put my entries in (i have a habit of forgetting) and i noticed there's no novice category! :o

No I've just looked on the other forum - you're right, I hadn't noticed either. I wonder if its because its a championship?

Holly
01-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Hmm all 17? (including Sue's girl).
Well I dont know, I am thinking of just doing it for fun (as I usually do anyway)
and also entering Bronte, Amelie and Sabine, along with BBean (oo did you see that - I have a bean too!)
and Dubs then of course there's Vala (who has settled at 256g now! so how many is that?......6....
1 LH cream
1 SH cream
1 LH AOC
2 LH satin
1 SH golden
I guess thats not a bad spread of classes is it? :roll:
I will see what Arti says...who are you bringing?
But more important than who am I bringing - who will I be taking home??? :wink:

That's not a bad spread indeed!

I think we are bringing: Caramel, Rolo, Mars, Button, Smartie, Molly and Toby - that's all of our Syrian show pens! If I can hire a show pen I'll also bring Milly. I'm not bringing Kitty or Minnie (I'll take her to Highworth to see Basia) or Turner (he's one next week and getting a bit long in the tooth).

So that's:

3 LH Cream
3 LH Satin
1 Non-Standard

Hmmm - not such a good spread of classes :P

Spuds Mum
01-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Dont hire - if we dont use all of ours (or any maybe!) then you can use any extras

Holly
01-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Dont hire - if we dont use all of ours (or any maybe!) then you can use any extras

That's kind of you - thanks! I'll do my entries later this week so I'll ask you if you've a spare before I do! 8)

souffle
01-13-2008, 04:48 PM
There are no classes like novice or intermediate at this show as it is a National Hamster Council Show. Only the Regional clubs have these classes as they are tied to membership of a club as opposed to the overall National Council.
I think our spread of classes will be 'pets' :lol: :lol:

PS I don't think you will be bringing anyone home will you Teresa as there are no sales at the show...unless you have a secret rendevous planned :lol: :lol:

Spuds Mum
01-13-2008, 05:36 PM
PS I don't think you will be bringing anyone home will you Teresa as there are no sales at the show...unless you have a secret rendevous planned :lol: :lol:

Thanks for explaining about the novice thing - makes sense! :D
I dont know about secret, although you were pretty busy at the Mapplewell show so may have missed it! Sheryl asked me to take a SH dark grey from Anita's litter (I think it had been put to one side for Sheryl) so if they are both happy to let her go then I will be introducing everyone to......
Grey Ham Norton! :x (Norton for short - as in, Arti says - Norton other hamster! :x :roll: ) but as we are taking our no-name roan to Sue K we will be taking one and bringing one back!

I am not going near sales tables in any more shows - I've promised myself as Arti now has an idea of what colours etc. we want to concentrate on. And, you guessed it, it will be Agouti colours rather than selfs!
:roll:

Bunsey
01-14-2008, 11:30 AM
yeah, Ken explained the novice thing to me and it does make sense now.
i'm not going to pick up any hamsters at shows any more, cos it's when i hold them that i want them! we aren't getting any more for about 6 months and i want to rescue, so we'll probably just have a couple of hams at a time from breeders then the rest will be rescues. I decided not to breed Paddy. It doesn't mean i'll never breed, but not in paddy's lifetime. It's nice to have good show stock, but i think rescuing is more important to me.

Holly
01-14-2008, 02:17 PM
I dont know about secret, although you were pretty busy at the Mapplewell show so may have missed it! Sheryl asked me to take a SH dark grey from Anita's litter (I think it had been put to one side for Sheryl) so if they are both happy to let her go then I will be introducing everyone to......
Grey Ham Norton! :x (Norton for short - as in, Arti says - Norton other hamster! :x :roll: )

Ha! Clever name (I expect Mr Norton would find it amusing he has a hamster named after him :wink: ).

I'm quite glad there are no sales at this show as it does mean no temptations for me. I'm hoping to have another litter in Feb/March and a little later in the year I'd like to get a new guy or girl in a self or roan colour that goes with the creams/sables/minks/roans I already have. Yep, you guessed it - I'm sticking with self colours for now!

I'm thinking of bringing Minnie to Bradford - yes, she seemed to hate it last time but she's had a good rest since Kingswinford and she's lovely and settled now - I really want to know if I'm going to be able to show her - if she hates it this time I know that I won't be able to.

If the show pen offer is still open, Teresa, any chance I could borrow two? Don't worry if not - I'm doing my entries tomorrow and I'll see if I can hire (or buy a couple more from Ken).

Spuds Mum
01-14-2008, 02:26 PM
You can borrow two with pleasure. I think Arti is putting his foot down this time and doesn't want me to enter any - although I may just squeeze in BB and Dubs - so will have spares. Just send me a reminder a day or two before wont you Julie (brain like seive)

My journal came today! I think they made a mistake as they have you winning BOS for syrians at Mapplewell, if I remember I think it was Sue M's big cream girl who beat my beautiful BB that won it??

Selfs are lovely, but of course Arti and I have to compromise, and I do really love greys and cinnamons as well as other agoutis!
I feel bad about slowing down the self breeding (if you know what I mean) and would offer to lend you any of mine if they were any good to increase your options, but a lot are so closely related anyway! - although I may send some gypsying to Souffle to flirt with Poly lol

(hope the finger has stopped throbbing!)

Holly
01-15-2008, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the show pen offer!

My journal came today! I think they made a mistake as they have you winning BOS for syrians at Mapplewell, if I remember I think it was Sue M's big cream girl who beat my beautiful BB that won it??

Oops :oops: ....I hadn't noticed that but now you mention it :shock:

How exciting to have my name up in light as it were - even when it's a mistake :oops: ....poor Sue Mutlow (though it does mention her winning BOS in the show report - and she has had her name up in lights a lot lately :wink: ).

Oh well, maybe one day......

Selfs are lovely, but of course Arti and I have to compromise, and I do really love greys and cinnamons as well as other agoutis!

Well there's a very real possibility that I'll be looking for a dark grey (I'm looking forward to seeing your new Norton!)
and a cinnamon in the future - both stunning colours and what I'm going to need to eventually breed the self colours I like (it's a complicated buisiness, isn't it :shock: ).
But that's all in the future, for now I'm happy with my little darling creams, sables, minks and roans!

Spuds Mum
01-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Well your name was in there rightly a lot too! :x Lots of mentions in fact! :x
Some of the colours I like also include cream so I am sure I wont be writing off my current guys and girls totally! he big question I have at the moment is whether I breed BB and Dubaku? I think we would probably get some really nice pups from them, but I have already got Vala in mind and also of yours Bronte and Thomas (or maybe even Dubs - although if I did that Arti's Mum would think Thomas had been 'spurned'. hmmm lots to think about. :?

Yaffle
01-17-2008, 06:59 AM
I'm going to the Bradford Show, am really looking forward to it! Am taking Mr Yaffle and entering him into the main show and I'm also taking Little Minxie my sable girl who I got off Spuds Mum so she can be reuinted with her and Arti and so she can make her debut in the pet class!
I should also have good news about Yeti's expected litter too by the time the show comes round!

Holly
01-17-2008, 07:30 AM
....I'm also taking Little Minxie my sable girl who I got off Spuds Mum so she can be reuinted with her and Arti and so she can make her debut in the pet class!

And I'm bringing Molly (Malteser), our sable roan girl from Spud's Mum - so Minxie and Molly can be reunited as well (well, sort of!).

See you there!

Spuds Mum
01-17-2008, 01:39 PM
and I'm taking the third sable roan for Sue - so 3 of the sisters will be together :x
One of them may not make it though - Amelie is driving me mad tonight bar chewing and I am trying to make my mind up whether I bring her out for a play and a love or strangle her! (joking - you all know which way I'm going to go) :x

Spuds Mum
01-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Right I need to decide by tonight if I take any of my babies to Bradford. I was thinking no, but then thought I might bring
Sabine, Amelie, Bronte or Butterbean (any combination of those really).
I just can't make a decision - its a big show and I don't want to be demotivated if they do really poorly, on the other hand it would be great to see Andrew judging Amelie and Malteser

So, to leave it up to fate, if I get a reply to this post by 8.30 that says enter them I will - if not then the babes stay at home! :x

Holly
01-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Ha! You know what I'd do :P

Spuds Mum
01-18-2008, 11:52 AM
ok then I think a grand sister reunion will be on the cards - sabine, BB and Amelie.
A girls 'night' (well day) out! :x

PS Grey-Ham Norton is definitely coming to us too (excited squeal)

Jane
01-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Rightios, we should be there but will be animal-less :wink:

Spuds Mum
01-18-2008, 12:25 PM
No charlieee? :cry:

Jane
01-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Do you think I should enter him into pets? Maybe I will..hmm..

souffle
01-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Why not Jane. He can be in his box nice and comfy for the day so it should not upset him. :lol:

Jane
01-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Hmm..you're right :wink: I think I will :lol:

Spuds Mum
01-18-2008, 01:06 PM
he cant be in his box all day! (I insist on a love from Charlie boy). It will be lovely to see you there Jane - have missed you pretending to be shy! :x

Jane
01-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Haha :lol: Wanted to go to some more last year but didn't make it to many did I :( Yeah Charliebum is gunna come along :D

Pretending to be shy? Pfft, there is no pretending :P Gunna drag Trina along with me too :wink: (well she'll be happy to come but ya know)

Spuds Mum
01-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Trina too? Is she bringing her 'robos'? :oops: :oops: :x well I'll look out for you both (and then run in the opposite direction lol)

nO- not really, see you both there sweetie! :D

Jane
01-19-2008, 02:32 AM
Trina too? Is she bringing her 'robos'? :oops: :oops: :x well I'll look out for you both (and then run in the opposite direction lol)

nO- not really, see you both there sweetie! :D

Haha :lol: I'll be the one running in the opposite direction. Scary people :P I don't think she'll be bringing them because they're kinda cage territorial and will nip if she puts her hand in.

Okay then. We'll be there if we have a car sorted by then. If not we probably wont :( (dads car died on...wednesday? it's a company car and he's currently got a van so just depends whether something is sorted by then.. :? fingers crossed! :wink:)

Jane
01-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Looks like I can't go :(

Spuds Mum
01-23-2008, 01:23 PM
oh Jane :cry: is the car poorly?
unfortunately our route doesnt take us near you or we would have picked you up but it would add over an hour to our journey! :cry:

Sorry sweetie - I hope something happens to help you get there - but if not we will miss you (and Charlieee)

Jane
01-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Yeah the car is deaded. If dads boss manages to fly back (from some strange country - he's just got a new helicopter lol) in the next few days then we have a chance of getting a car, otherwise dad is stuck with the van for the weekend...we can't really go to the show in the van. Hopefully something will work out but I doubt it :(

Hope you all have a good time anyway :D

Jane
01-26-2008, 01:21 AM
Have a good day guys. Wish I could be there :cry:

Spuds Mum
01-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Have a good day guys. Wish I could be there :cry:

We did have a lovely day Jane, but yo were missed. You would have loved all the piggies that were there too (but I thought none were as pretty as Beauty and Pepper. It was funny to see all the long haired piggies with their hair in bobbles and clips though! :x

Jane
01-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Glad you had a good time :D Maybe next year :roll: :lol:

anyone get any piccies? :wink:

souffle
01-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Pophammy has some which she will upload as sson as shegets over her exhaustion from excitement and working all day :wink: :wink: She had a VERY good day :wink:

Holly
01-26-2008, 03:50 PM
It was a truly brilliant day - the boys were full of it all the way home - and I absolutely loved the atmosphere, all the animals (there were some absolutely GIANT rabbits that seemed almost pre-historic to me :shock: ), all the stalls etc etc.

I pen-stewarded for pets which was an experience and we got a 3rd (Toby in non-standard) and a 4th (Rolo in LH satin - :shock:....beating Smartie by half a point) and Caramel, Minnie and Mars were well up on points. Molly did well for a young 'un too :wink:

The big congrats must got to Pophammy though - but I'll let her tell you about that :wink:

Bunsey
01-27-2008, 02:28 PM
i've got some photos i shall be uploading later. we only just got back. we stayed over in York and had a day there!

I got 1st in LH AOC male and 3rd in WW male.

Bunsey
01-27-2008, 05:13 PM
some pics.

a rat
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/ayms2/bradfordchampsandyork010.jpg

guinea pig judging
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/ayms2/bradfordchampsandyork005.jpg

Oscar at the front
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/ayms2/bradfordchampsandyork096.jpg

Oscar and Harvey in the hotel.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/ayms2/bradfordchampsandyork106.jpg

the best in shows
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/ayms2/bradfordchampsandyork099.jpg

Oscar
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/ayms2/bradfordchampsandyork097.jpg

Paddy
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/ayms2/bradfordchampsandyork072.jpg

some of the vast guinea pig cages. the rabbits took up a whole hall to themselves. they have different clubs for each variety!! :shock:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/ayms2/bradfordchampsandyork003.jpg

Holly
01-28-2008, 01:09 AM
Brilliant pictures, Bunsey 8) ...I love the ones of Max and Oscar in their balls in the hotel!

It brings it all back - I forgot my camera which is most annoying as there was an awful lot there to photograph.

It's a brilliant show - perhaps we should try for a Hamster Central Convention at the next one! :wink:

I_am_plankton
01-28-2008, 03:28 AM
It seems like everyone had a great day! I wish either this one or London was closer to me, but I would have no idea about staying overnight!