PDA

View Full Version : Beau & Joe had a fight...

Faye
12-31-2007, 06:14 AM
This has come from nothing! they were so happy together - always sleeping together etc. :?
Then this morning, there was serious persual - Beau (daddy) chasing and biting Joe (son), Joe isn't retaliating, just squeaking loads and trying to get away... I've separated them by sectioning Beau off in one corner of the cage - I don't know what to do now though... is this just a dominance tussle that'll sort it's self out? or will I have to separate them permenantly?
there are no open wounds, but Joe's belly and rear is wet and looks sore.
They're ok with each other when I'm holding them both, but as soon as I put them back in the cage, it all sets off again :cry:
Beau is 16-17 weeks old & Joe is 8-9 weeks old
Please help!

Spuds Mum
12-31-2007, 08:29 AM
I'm not a dwarf expert at all Faye, but we had a similar problem with our two ww females. We made the decision to part them and though it was sad, they were both much happier alone.
I think you know yourself how serious it was. If you felt the need to separate them within the same cage, and it is not a 'one off' but happens whenever they are placed together.
But I'm sure people with more experience will be able to advise you better. And I'm sure whatever you decide will be the right decision for both of them.
Hope it all works out!

souffle
12-31-2007, 10:56 AM
I think now Joe is beginning to mature his dad is seeing him as a rival. Have you felt over his back to see if there are scabs. If you feel he is being bullied I would separate. With the move to your home they are likely now establishing themselves and dad being bigger is picking on son. We left it too late with our two. Despite doing everything in our power to try and keep them happy we had to separate a few weeks ago. Kipton had always been the dominant one but yes we could always handle them together and they would sleep together and seem fine but one night Bingley stayed in the nest and when we got him out he had bites all over his rear, foot and tummy. He still looks patchy now but the wounds are healed. We separated them then and they are happy alone. Bingley was a bit quiet for a few days but settled soon enough. Personally and from the many posts I have read about this you will have to separate them sooner or later so best do it now before Joe is hurt. Ours were 16 wks at separation.

Faye
12-31-2007, 11:10 AM
ok, had a proper look at baby Joe once he'd had a good rest after this morning's events - he had proper bites, so I have decided to keep them split (luckily I had an empty habitrail space station hanging around)... I've since been to kennelgate and bought a Rydon Mill House for Beau. My friend is also bringing me her old cage (a duna I think) at the weekend, so Joe can go in that once he has recovered...

pophammy
12-31-2007, 11:22 AM
Sorry you had to seperate them but I am sure they will be much happier on their own. We also have a Millhouse cage which we keep Pringle the school hamster in when he comes to stay for the hols. He is a marbled Winter White and is very happy in it so I'm sure your ham will be too! Hope that Joe gets better soon!

souffle
12-31-2007, 11:29 AM
You should bathe the bites once with boiled cooled water and a cotton ball and dry with a tissue. After this leave them to heal. They take quite a while to heal we found, about 2-3wks for the scabs to go. Watch carefully for any signs of infection and keep little Joe nice and quiet and calm as he gets better. Feed him some tempting food and extra protein such as egg, chicken tofu etc. I hope he gets well soon

Faye
12-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'll bathe his bites when he next gets out of bed... They're really not too bad, which is why I didn't see them when I first separated them - it was only when the fur dried that I could see that the skin had been broken...
poor little lad, but I'm so glad that they had their fight during the day - I was out, but o/h was home and separated them once he could see that it serious... I came straight home and tried them again, but split them after about 5 seconds of being back in the cage together...
it was so strange that it all errupted so suddenly! I'd had them both out last night and Joe didn't have any scabs or wet patches at all... :?

DonnaB
12-31-2007, 02:45 PM
Awww thats a shame Faye, but at least they were with you and you've done the sensible thing.... who knows where they could have ended up if you hadnt rescued them. Boys and their hormones eh! Hope little Joe is all better soon.

Faye
01-01-2008, 03:49 AM
Cheers Donna, I feel so bad about this whole situation! :(
Joe seems fine this morning, he is running around like normal and is happy to come out for cuddles :)
I'm going to browse ebay later to find climbing toys etc. to keep them properly enriched & they're both in the front room still, so will get loads of attention...

DonnaB
01-01-2008, 06:44 AM
Youre bound to feel sad about having to split them, but it does seem like its quite common... as with a lot of furries, hormones inevitably take over at some stage and we just have to do what we can.... now if they were bunnies, I imagine a trip to the vet would be in order. :lol:

poohbearhamsty
01-13-2008, 12:10 PM
So sorry you had to seperat them my hamsters fight somtimes..... :cry: and they stop for a minute or 2 and then start to fight again :( what should i do

souffle
01-13-2008, 04:37 PM
You should watch you hammies carefully poobearhamsy and check them frequently for bites and scabs. If the fighting becomes very intense with high pitched screaming and one losing weight and condition or if there is any blood drawn you need to separate them into individual cages and keep them apart from then on. It can happen very suddenly and they can hurt each other. In our experiance on the forum we have found that more often than not dwarf hamsters need separated due to fighting when they reach maturity.